ME ME - Douglas Chapman, 3, Alfred, 2 June 1971

aussiegran

Reaction score
Missing Since: June 2, 1971 from Alfred, Maine
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: February 5, 1968
Height and Weight: 3'0, 35 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Sandy brown hair, blue eyes. Chapman has a mole on his right shoulder.
Clothing Description: A red and blue plaid shirt, blue pants and loafers.

bar.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Chapman was last seen outside of his family's mobile home in Alfred, Maine on June 2, 1971. He was playing in a dirt pile or sandbox in his front yard and his mother was inside talking on the telephone. When she went out to check on her son, he was gone.

Chapman has never been heard from again. An extensive community search lasting several days turned up no sign of him. The area around Chapman's home is heavily wooded, brushy, and swampy. Authorities originally believed he wandered away and became lost; however, this possibility is now deemed unlikely since he was never located.

Police tracker dogs traced Chapman's scent through a field, past an apple orchard onto a farm, and down the driveway to the main road. The scent apparently stopped there; Chapman's father believes he may have been placed in a vehicle at that location. Chapman's dog did not bark when the child disappeared, something his mother finds odd as the two were very close. Chapman's case was reopened in 1993 at the request of his father. His parents are now divorced. His case is unsolved.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/chapman_douglas.html

Kennebec Journal, Feb. 5 2012

Article includes age-progression side-by-side poster

Still missing: Parents never give up when children disappear

"Four years before Kurt Newton disappeared, Douglas Charles Chapman was last seen playing in a sand pile outside his parents home in Alfred on June 2, 1971.

He was 3 at the time. Today, he would be 43.

A search dog followed Douglas' scent from the home, "through a field, past an apple orchard onto a farm, and down the driveway to the main road," according to the Charley Project.

The ensuing six-day search was one of the largest ever for a missing person in York County, according a 1993 Associated Press story. It included about 3,000 volunteers, aircraft from the Navy and National Guard, and scuba divers.

Officials even pumped local wells dry to look for the boy, the story reported.

In 1993, the boy's father, Gary Chapman, successfully pleaded with police to deepen the investigation.

He said police had been convinced Douglas had wandered off, died and would eventually be found, but Chapman wanted investigators to consider abduction.

The boy's parents are divorced. His mother, Carole Allen, moved to New York, and his father to Waterboro. Neither could be reached for comment."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=167200408

by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
December 13, 2012 5:24 PM

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — More than 1,000 children are reported missing each year in Maine. The vast majority are quickly reunited with loved ones, often within hours. Over 40 years, only three missing-person cases involving young children remain unsolved.

<snipped>
Three-year-old Doug Chapman was last seen playing with his toy trucks in a sand pile behind his family's home in 1971 in Alfred. When his mother went outside to check on him, he had vanished. Road workers nearby didn't see anything. Two bloodhounds tracked his scent to the road.

Disappearance of Alfred boy in 70's still affecting family

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/investigations/douglas-chapman-disappearance-45-years-ago/214910377

Gore Road in Alfred is such a peaceful place for something so terrifying to have happened here.

On June 2, 1971 three-year-old Douglas Chapman was playing in the sand pile just 25 yards in front of his house.

Doug's dad Gary says it's a tough thing to live with. " It's always there and never goes away. There is no closure."

With the help of lie detector tests McDonough eliminated family members a suspects.

But with nobody, and no leads, the case is cold.

Gary Chapman is still hoping that even after all these years, someone will come forward with some piece of information that can bring him some peace.

This case has always haunted me. It sounds like he wandered off and got picked up on the road by someone. It bothered me that the mum was inside on the phone while he was outside by himself, but I really can't judge. My mum used to do the same thing, and it's only by sheer luck that we all made it to adulthood.
In this video, they hint of someone in the neighborhood who may have been a pedophile, but they don't mention any names or that they searched near where that person lived. That was new information to me.

Several years ago Circa mid 2000s. a guy had a website and I don't know how he got a hold of me but he had these bogus claims he was Douglas. he had some very tall tails insisting that he was Douglas and that no one would take his DNA and a bunch of other crap. there was a thread about it too the FBI got involved he was sending messages to others as well. turns out he was a fraud his DNA didn't match he was a loony looking to find a family he could scam or something I . he was poor or without a job and home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several years ago Circa mid 2000s. a guy had a website and I don't know how he got a hold of me but he had these bogus claims he was Douglas. he had some very tall tails insisting that he was Douglas and that no one would take his DNA and a bunch of other crap. there was a thread about it too the FBI got involved he was sending messages to others as well. turns out he was a fraud his DNA didn't match he was a loony looking to find a family he could scam or something I . he was poor or without a job and home
That's terrible. I wish people wouldn't do that to families with missing family members. To swindle someone is one thing, but to add on top of that playing on someone's loss is cruel.

A guy who was claiming he could have been Kurt on the mia page now believes he is Douglas chapman Someone pmed me an overlay photo of the man and Douglas age progress photo and it's a match they look the same. This guy contacted Douglas mom on fb not sure what he said but they are friends DNA needs to
Be done omg if this all pans out four people will have been found.

If you don't know what's going on go to missing in americas Facebook page a women came forward believes she is Jennifer klien missing from Utah she also believes the cousins she was raised with are Kurt newton and eaton patz and a forth guy came forward in the comments and now believes he's Douglas

A guy who was claiming he could have been Kurt on the mia page now believes he is Douglas chapman Someone pmed me an overlay photo of the man and Douglas age progress photo and it's a match they look the same. This guy contacted Douglas mom on fb not sure what he said but they are friends DNA needs to
Be done omg if this all pans out four people will have been found.

If you don't know what's going on go to missing in americas Facebook page a women came forward believes she is Jennifer klien missing from Utah she also believes the cousins she was raised with are Kurt newton and eaton patz and a forth guy came forward in the comments and now believes he's Douglas

You beat me to posting lol.
As I've said on the other threads with Kurt and Jenny, people are going to be flabbergasted as this continues to develop.
The net is Huge, I just can't reiterate that in depth enough for words.

As of this am a women in California is donating the money for the DNA test to be done. This man went to several police agencies including the state police who didn't do anything and brushed him off. I'm finding it very hard to believe that the police the very people who are supposed to protect us won't do anything

Does he have the mole on his shoulder?

ETA: I just popped over there to look and they have a side by side of Douglas' mom and the man and there is a resemblance in my opinion. I really hope this is a match.

I believe Douglas's father was former law enforcement, so if this guy had any credibility, I'm certain they wouldn't have brushed him off. I would hope investigators would reach out to his father and run it by him before shutting the door, but who knows?

As of this am a women in California is donating the money for the DNA test to be done. This man went to several police agencies including the state police who didn't do anything and brushed him off. I'm finding it very hard to believe that the police the very people who are supposed to protect us won't do anything

I seen where he said he had to work this week in order to purchase the test. I was going to reach out today to make that purchase for him but I see a angel beat me to it. This is wonderful news.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I believe Douglas's father was former law enforcement, so if this guy had any credibility, I'm certain they wouldn't have brushed him off. I would hope investigators would reach out to his father and run it by him before shutting the door, but who knows?

From what I gather, he didn't present himself as Douglas Chapman. He has some reasons to believe he was abducted as a child, but doesn't know who he really is.

Well, I've been staring at some photos for the last several minutes. It looks like little Douglas had ears that sort of stuck out a bit. The man's ears are very flat against his head. I guess he could have had his ears pinned back at some point. Also Douglas doesn't have a gap in his teeth that I can see. The man does. Maybe that wouldn't have appeared until his permanent teeth came in, though. I'm not an expert on these things, just making observations.

Current post on the mia site. Said to the guy who says he could be Douglas that she was going to talk to the state troopers and that a DNA test was going to be done assp

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back