768 users online (90 members and 678 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

OK - Raped by stepfather at 14, statute of limitations may have expired, woman told

Oklahoma woman told statute of limitations has passed in rape case
    Charlotte Pemberton-Ropp, 32, of Blackwell OK, recently obtained a paternity test as evidence that her stepfather raped her when she was 14.

But the statute of limitations has run out on her rape case, and authorities say they can't prosecute him unless she can show it was reported before [the statute expired].
    ---
    Did she attempt to get help at the time of the abuse?
    Pemberton-Ropp said she's been telling people since she was a teenager that she was sexually abused by her stepfather, but no one took the steps to help her. She alleges the abuse was constant from ages 8 until 18, when she was able to move out of her parents' home.
    ---
    She tried to talk to school counselors, child welfare workers, friends and even told her mother. She says she was branded more of a problem child than a victim.
    ---
    A partial timeline:
    At age 14 she became pregnant, and at 15 gave birth to her only child. Even then, no paternity was ever established, and the father's name on her son's birth certificate was left blank.

Six months ago, she obtained evidence that could have put the man responsible in jail 17 years ago.
    ---
    much more, including the stepfather's reaction to the 99.99% probability that he is the father, plus Pemberton-Ropp's attempt to build a case herself and the subsequent difficulty accessing her DHS files, at Sunday Oklahoman link above
    Last edited by wfgodot; 02-06-2012 at 02:40 AM.

I wondered what made her seek charges after all this time and then I got to the bottom of the link. Her 10 year old sister lives in that house.

Max Suggs still denies the boy is his, and says that hiw TWIN brother is the CULPRIT.

So, he provides the newspaper with his brother's name and addy and they find they were born not only on different days, but years apart. Typical pedophile. Lying to the depths.

Perhaps some decent human being who couldn't or wouldn't help her all those years ago will come forward and prove she asked for help.

Sending positive vibes for this woman and her son.That had to be one horrific childhood to say the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby80 View Post
    Her 10 year old sister lives in that house.
    That could very well be it. It can however be for so many reasons. Often it's not even reasons you know. No doubt especially in this situation.

If there was one really important lesson I learned in therapy it's that it's her past. She is allowed to keep it or tell, and decide when she wants to or not. Nobody can force her not to tell or press her to tell. Thank heaven for DNA is all I can say. I pray somehow at least she can feel she has that to back her up.

This stuff sickens and saddens me.

They need to do away with the SOL on child sex abuse. It is outrageous that this is limited. It is well known that many abused persons are unable to come forward until later in life. So the abuser gets to walk away because they did enough damage to keep it under wraps for years? Hogwash. Everytime this subject comes up, it ticks me off.
    Forum: Jury Room
    Thread: Most interesting classic unsolved murder cases

This thread currently has over 350 cases with a brief synopsis of each and we are still adding additional cases.

You can access a spreadsheet that lists the cases in alphabetical order with the page & post number so that you can locate a particular case you may be interested in. It also contains links to any cases that already have a thread on WS.

Many cases do not have a thread. Please feel free to start one in the appropriate forum if you would like to look into one. Should you start a thread on one of these cases, please let me know so that I can add the link to the spreadsheet.

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in alphabetical order:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in country order:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FBBcGVid0lmUHc
    =======================================

Thread: Cold But Not Too Old Murder Case List

This is a listing of newer but still cold cases. As with the above thread we will be adding as we go along. Most of these cases will probably have threads. If you do start a new one, please let me know so I can add the link to the spreadsheets. The spreadsheets may be accessed from the links below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mlNV2lSQ1dDWHc

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FBIaHRnR1g0SEE

The laws need to catch up with the evidence! If we have trusted science that can identify criminals (especially those with extremely high likelihoods of re-offending), we need to drop the statutes and let justice do its work. Weren't they imposed, in the first place, as a result of the limitations of the human memory/witness?

This girl deserves to be vindicated (as do others in her similar situations) and she certainly needs to be able to reach out and protect her little half-sister. As far as her son goes, serious family counseling would be nice-- as long as the perp was away.

The day can't come soon enough, imo-- and I hope, when it does, it will be the deterrent necessary to stop the cycle of child sexual abuse.

moo

Unfortunately, I don't think prosecution (or elimination of SOL) will stop child sex abuse. But, I find it egregious that these cases can be proven without a doubt and the perp walks away free as a bird. I find it hard to fathom why this change in the SOL has not already been made. How many priests have walked away now? Almost all of them. It nauseates me.

This thread currently has over 350 cases with a brief synopsis of each and we are still adding additional cases.

You can access a spreadsheet that lists the cases in alphabetical order with the page & post number so that you can locate a particular case you may be interested in. It also contains links to any cases that already have a thread on WS.

Many cases do not have a thread. Please feel free to start one in the appropriate forum if you would like to look into one. Should you start a thread on one of these cases, please let me know so that I can add the link to the spreadsheet.

This is a listing of newer but still cold cases. As with the above thread we will be adding as we go along. Most of these cases will probably have threads. If you do start a new one, please let me know so I can add the link to the spreadsheets. The spreadsheets may be accessed from the links below.

There should never be a SOL on sex crimes!
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

I think it's VA in which they have done away with the SOL for all violent felonies. That needs to be nationwide.

Maybe there are other ways to go about this...SOL is up for the rape. What about civil filings for any physical disabilities the child has a result of incest? Civil suit for pain and suffering, since she has DNA to prove what he did? One thing about the law, there is always a loophole. You might have to look really hard, and more are being closed every day, but there is usually still one available, both for perps and victims.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    I think it's VA in which they have done away with the SOL for all violent felonies. That needs to be nationwide.

Maybe there are other ways to go about this...SOL is up for the rape. What about civil filings for any physical disabilities the child has a result of incest? Civil suit for pain and suffering, since she has DNA to prove what he did? One thing about the law, there is always a loophole. You might have to look really hard, and more are being closed every day, but there is usually still one available, both for perps and victims.
    The problem is, I don't think she will want to hurt him financially, because of her little sister. Also, there may be nothing to get. I just don't find that an adequate means of resolving a rape/incest case. I suppose it's better than nothing, but it shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    The problem is, I don't think she will want to hurt him financially, because of her little sister. Also, there may be nothing to get. I just don't find that an adequate means of resolving a rape/incest case. I suppose it's better than nothing, but it shouldn't be.
    And normally I would agree. What crossed my mind is get the civil judgment and if he doesn't pay, then he can go to jail, the same as anyone else. I was thinking it might be the only way to get him behind bars.

Heck, with the sentences abusers have been getting lately, he might get more time for contempt of the court order.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

If they can get the 10 yr old into counseling,with someone really sensitive and experienced, they may be able to get him on recent crimes. There is no way that he raped the older one for 10 years, but he is leaving the younger old alone now. imo
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    If they can get the 10 yr old into counseling,with someone really sensitive and experienced, they may be able to get him on recent crimes. There is no way that he raped the older one for 10 years, but he is leaving the younger old alone now. imo
    I totally agree. CPS needs to force the parents to take the child for a psych & physical examination at the very least. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

It's possible that he isn't abusing the 10 year old, if she is his biological daughter. Possible, but I sure wouldn't count on it. And mom is obviously not the protective type. Mom should face punishment too, IMO, on child endangerment charges.
    Question: When a crime is commited against a child, does the clock start ticking when the child reaches the age of 18, or when the crime is commited? If it's when the crime is commited, and the child is say...5 years old at the time, how can anyone expect a child to be responsible for all of that?

bellyup is offline "the more i see of man the more i like dogs." mme. de staël
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby80 View Post
    It's possible that he isn't abusing the 10 year old, if she is his biological daughter. Possible, but I sure wouldn't count on it. And mom is obviously not the protective type. Mom should face punishment too, IMO, on child endangerment charges.
    Question: When a crime is commited against a child, does the clock start ticking when the child reaches the age of 18, or when the crime is commited? If it's when the crime is commited, and the child is say...5 years old at the time, how can anyone expect a child to be responsible for all of that?
    It's typically after the 18th birthday with varying "years" alloted by state.
    There are several states now that have extended the SOL for child abuse cases. I know PA is until the persons 50th birthday (odd law). Ohio's is 12 years past the age of 18.
    "He who does not prevent a crime when he can, encourages it.”