Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: CLUES: how to find Susan

Hey all blessings to you. A long time ago, I studied this case and came up with a video using the most simple, factual info I could find. Hope there is some helpful reference in this. The thread was UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6 My post with the video was number 1064. Peace 2 U.
    If Marc could still smile big, so can I.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PercyVeer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mck16 View Post
    I am confused as to the boys saying that mommie was in the trunk. But, we are referring here to a van. There is no trunk in a van. Maybe it wasn't the night of the camp out, but at a later date. Is the date she went missing for sure the date he reported? I also think it is strange he moved out of his house so quickly. Maybe ashes, body parts, etc. are still there buried somewhere. Just throwing out thoughts.

Did he own the home they were living in when she went missing?
    I've thought he kept her remains somewhere with him also. What better way to be totally in control of any possibility of her being found than to keep them where you are? Bury them under a house, put them in a venting duct, etc.... That is why I thought the house was on fire that he rented, until I got up to the horrible news the next morning.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 21merc7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PercyVeer View Post
    Hey all blessings to you. A long time ago, I studied this case and came up with a video using the most simple, factual info I could find. Hope there is some helpful reference in this. The thread was UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6 My post with the video was number 1064. Peace 2 U.
    I think Percy is talking about this post:

Quote Originally Posted by PercyVeer View Post
    Hi Dear People; I am new to WS, long-time lurker. I appreciate the professionalism here, and the caring here. FYI: There is a new vid up on YT regarding asking people to check their memory December 6-8 regarding JP trips. Take Care. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8udgNVodBQ

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
    www.twitter.com/kimsterws

In memory of Ron Pruitt

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mck16 View Post
    I am confused as to the boys saying that mommie was in the trunk. But, we are referring here to a van. There is no trunk in a van. Maybe it wasn't the night of the camp out, but at a later date. Is the date she went missing for sure the date he reported? I also think it is strange he moved out of his house so quickly. Maybe ashes, body parts, etc. are still there buried somewhere. Just throwing out thoughts.

Did he own the home they were living in when she went missing?
    I believe it was Mr. and Mrs. Cox this morning that explained that the back of the van opened upwards, and these being young children, just don't always differentiate between the back of the van and the trunk of the car.

As far as burning the body, I do believe he did. It may NOT have gone completely to ash, but he used a strong accelerant. There were earlier reports of him purchasing fuel of some sort. I just don't know where the items were discussed at this time.

I do believe, IIRCC, there was verification of him buying the plastic. Again, I don't recall off-hand when we discussed this. I'll have to go back through previous threads and look for these, when I have more time.

I just think that the puzzle can be put together if enough heads get together.

We have to find Susan. We just have to!

fran

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:

On the radio show, Kiirsi stated that they were in the van and that the boys call the back of it the "trunk".

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

In memory of Ron Pruitt

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

Josh purchased a cutting torch (propane or gas)

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4785792&postcount=158"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Was Josh Seen Buying A LARGE Amount of Shrink Wrap?[/ame]

And a cave story:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13919224

I'm still poking around in old threads, don't know how long I can do it for tonight though.

ETA: I also read in the top linked thread that there are over 10,000 some mines in Utah!

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

I know early on I had heard about a place they liked to camp, it was also a place that they looked for crystal's. I can't remember exactly where it was, wyoming ? or Idaho? I think Idaho.
    I am going to try and find that article because I always thought of this place when thinking of Susan.... I know it was somewhere that other friends went and joined them as well. I did the mileage before as well and recall it could have fit his time frame
    I'll see if I can find the article or one of my earlier posts about it
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:

Interview with Josh from early on, just in case there may be something in this: ETA: At the end JP says the "went down south, some trails." Then he says "The Pony Express." So they either went south or just the opposite, north.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCXDpQEfZm8&feature=player_embedded"]Josh Powell Full Interview With 2News Utah News, KUTV, 2News, Utah Community.flv - YouTube[/ame]

15. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to 21merc7 For This Useful Post:

Drove rental car "more than 200 miles:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=9407616

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 21merc7 For This Useful Post:

"He wants to try to rent out the house and so he wants to finish the basement before doing that,” said Hellewell.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top...MwBrnOmgA.cspx

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 21merc7 For This Useful Post:

Where their any camps, cabins, sheds or old vacant buildings that burnt during the
    24 hours Susan went missing in a 500 mile radius???
    In another town no one would think was anything but an old shed burnt down?
    He could of traveled closer to dad's.
    We only have his word for him camping where he claimed IRRC.
    JP had a head start and an umbilical cord attached to dad (SP)

Seems JP used gasoline, fire and axe as his choice of weapons........
    hindsite could be 20/20
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    "He wants to try to rent out the house and so he wants to finish the basement before doing that, said Hellewell.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top...MwBrnOmgA.cspx
    yeah that was ODD. huh? Could bones be there???
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

Well if the rental car had more than 200 miles put on it, but I'm assuming less than 300 (or they would have just said 300), then anything beyond a 150 mile radius is out of the question, right? He says he left the house at 12:30 (though he could be lying). What time did he say he got home?

ETA: Ack. I see a post on this thread that says he put 1000 miles on the rental car. That would be like what, 14 or 16 hours of driving? Is that even possible? I think we need to pin down exactly how many miles he drove.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    I hear the word "Mine"...is there a way to locate all of the mines within a certain proximity of where he was thought to have been camping?
    http://ugspub.nr.utah.gov/publicatio...bs/MP-05-5.pdf

When exploring any mining district, remember to
    stay out of abandoned mines. There are an estimated
    20,000 abandoned mine openings in Utah that pose a
    variety of dangers to the unsuspecting explorer: caveins,
    falls, undetonated explosives, pockets of deadly
    air and gases, radioactivity, hazardous waste, water
    hazards, and animals. The explorer should also be
    familiar with mine-dump toxicity before visiting a
    mining district. Some mine dumps contain elevated
    levels of toxic chemicals, such as uranium, arsenic,
    and mercury that can be harmful if digested or inhaled
    I don't know how anyone would even begin to search in Utah. The sheer number of mines and then throw in the dangerous aspects - geez. This document does have lots of info and maps though.
    Always tell the truth. That way you don't have to remember what you said.--Mark Twain

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MagnoliaMom For This Useful Post:

I don't put too much stock that the "looking for crystals" comment will help locate her. If it is something the family had done in the past, it is something JP may well have just said to them as an explanation for being out in wherever they were - not suburbia. I think the mine thing is quite likely. So if it's not somewhere he is familiar with, he would have had to get some help locating a suitable place, using the internet, a physical publication or his father. Hopefully not a book or map he had the foresight to dispose of.

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ozazure For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    I thought I remembered this statement from Josh, much earlier in the case. I just found reference to it in a newer article.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/missi...-s-in-the-mine

according to a report on CNN's Nancy Grace Show, airing Oct. 7, Powell's husband, Josh, once told a friend that a mineshaft would be the best place to dispose of a body.

You add in the fact that there was 'rumor' of Josh purchasing a large quantity of plastic type drop clothes, he may have killed her in the home, wrapped her in the plastic to transport her, temporarily placed her somewhere the night of the camping trip and went back when he had the car rental, so that he could move her to a more (hidden) appropriate place for her not to be discovered.

Oh, and let's not forget he DID purchase, was it propane? He said it was for their camping heater.

After the house explosion, it leads me to believe that those red hands he had the days AFTER Susan disappeared, was more than likely injuries received during the body disposal. IMHO, he may have burned her body first, then placed her in a mind shaft.

So, if they're able to locate her, they may just feel it was a camp fire? Not realizing there was a body. Or if she's in a mind shaft, IF she was burned, could be ashes floated down.

I know it's not where to look, but from what I recall from the beginning, possibly what to look for, which may give a hint of more direction to search and what to search for.

JMHO
    fran
    What else would cause red burns on hands?
    What about chemicals or lye burns? Was he ever thoroughly inspected by police or a doctor?

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to x_files For This Useful Post:

Storage unit posts were moved here ---->[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162138"]Susan Powell case now being considered a murder investigation*SEARCH WARRANT* 7FEB12 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

In memory of Ron Pruitt

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

If the children said desert, and given the weather that night, I would look south and west.

Given the cutting torch, I think it might have been a gated area, either a gate/grille on a mine opening, or a gate to a closed area. I still think - if they have not - they should check the mine that was "sealed" just a month prior when that spelunker got stuck in it and died. It was very high profile in Utah news, as was the news that they were going to seal it.

Do ward members or Scouts remember going on any trips to areas of southern Utah where you can hunt for crystals? I agree with others that this was probably something they had done with the kids in the past, which is why it was given to the kids as an explanation. If there is a place they went, I'd focus searches on a straight line along good roads between that place and their house.

If you think he planned it, as I do, he was not deterred by the snow. He had to know he could get there and get back. Is it possible that he even took items to the place beforehand? I'm not up on the timeline but could he have walked her there alive, having drugged her with something like a date rape drug, so she would appear mostly "normal" to the boys without having any ability to resist or break away - then rolled her up and stuck her in the mine with the equipment already in place, then re-welded a hatch shut, thus getting his hands burned by the torch?

Maybe the extra miles on the rental car had to do not with revisiting the crime but with handing over incriminating items to someone who helped him clean up.

35. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dovebar For This Useful Post:

I think wherever it was, it was probably close to a paved road. Wasn't there some snow around? A minivan isn't a 4 wheel drive and you wouldn't want to get stuck.

And I hate to say it...could the cutting torch be used to dispose of the body?

I only sorta followed the case so forgive me- did anyone spot his rental car anywhere? Pings on a cell phone?

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Remember Josh's personality and SP's. They have to be in control. The only way they could be in control would be to be in possession somehow of the remains. So they would keep control.

There was a comment posted under one of the articles last fall that was mysterious. It said that Josh went back where she'd been hidden, burned everything he could and then buried the remains in his Dad's backyard.

I've never forgotten that. I really think that she's somewhere close to where he was.
    About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. Herbert Hoover

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tiredblondy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    IDK, I do know he put 1000 miles on the rental car, so he went 500 one way, and 500 back. That is a lot of territory. Unless he was just driving around town aimlessly, which would not amount to 1000 miles, maybe a few give or take for in town stuff, but somewhere around 500 each way.

The night Susan was reported missing, and he said they went camping (in the van) was a Sunday and iirc, he and the boys did not return until Tuesday. What did they do for 2 days and how far did they go?
    Where would that 500 miles one way put him? In a radius that is. I'm not at all familia with the area in question.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to mamamia54 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by passionflower View Post
    yeah that was ODD. huh? Could bones be there???
    Actually, I think the first place that needs to be looked at is definately the basement of the house. With his mental deranged brain, he would want to keep her as close to him as he could, like right under his own nose.

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamamia54 For This Useful Post:

I tend to think he didn't burn her because of the time that would have been involved with the boys in the car, and because the boys would likely have seen smoke and have drawn or told that by now.

He may have gone back the next day and done it.
    But you don't need a tarp if you're planning to burn the person's body.

So it seems likely that it was disposal first, and maybe burning later. Of her body or of evidence.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to dovebar For This Useful Post:

Also, if you watch the video above closely, when the interviewer asked Josh about the Moab Trails, Josh looks down and away, then licks his lips, I think that would be a VERY good area to go looking.

47. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mamamia54 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    I think wherever it was, it was probably close to a paved road. Wasn't there some snow around? A minivan isn't a 4 wheel drive and you wouldn't want to get stuck.

And I hate to say it...could the cutting torch be used to dispose of the body?

I only sorta followed the case so forgive me- did anyone spot his rental car anywhere? Pings on a cell phone?
    I used to live in PA and I wondered about the rental car being able to travel in snowy conditions too. He had to stay on roads that he could manuver and not get stuck. Something to keep in mind. Also are these mines marked or is there signs where they are?
    Your Dream must be greater than your fear!

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skully For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast