Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 342
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes View Post
    I don't know, but when I googled crystal and caves in Utah I got a result for some caves near Gandy, Utah. I know the Ely area was searched, and this is not too far from there. Does anyone know if there were searches in or near Gandy?
    IDK, I do know he put 1000 miles on the rental car, so he went 500 one way, and 500 back. That is a lot of territory. Unless he was just driving around town aimlessly, which would not amount to 1000 miles, maybe a few give or take for in town stuff, but somewhere around 500 each way.

    The night Susan was reported missing, and he said they went camping (in the van) was a Sunday and iirc, he and the boys did not return until Tuesday. What did they do for 2 days and how far did they go?

    Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.


  2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 21merc7 For This Useful Post:


  3. #17
    That desert is so vast. I hope his dad will tell LE where she is if he has any idea.


  4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Apples2Apples For This Useful Post:


  5. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    IDK, I do know he put 1000 miles on the rental car, so he went 500 one way, and 500 back. That is a lot of territory. Unless he was just driving around town aimlessly, which would not amount to 1000 miles, maybe a few give or take for in town stuff, but somewhere around 500 each way.

    The night Susan was reported missing, and he said they went camping (in the van) was a Sunday and iirc, he and the boys did not return until Tuesday. What did they do for 2 days and how far did they go?
    Very true! She may not even be in Utah.


  6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Apples2Apples For This Useful Post:


  7. #19
    belleyes is offline LOOK I learned how to type a user title.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    333
    *This is complete speculation and brainstorming*

    I have not read through all the details but have tried to keep up. Have the whereabouts of SP been verified for those few days of "camping". I think knowing his whereabout would help tremendously especially since he has been named a POI
    That said..
    * IMO*what if SP met JP somewhere in the desert and she wasnt disposed of at that time. Maybe SP she was drugged as someone earlier said. I wont say my entire thoughts but I cant help but to believe that SP's pics doent somehow play into this whole senerio*
    princess - daughter of The King


  8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to belleyes For This Useful Post:


  9. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    32,557
    I thought I remembered this statement from Josh, much earlier in the case. I just found reference to it in a newer article.

    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/missi...-s-in-the-mine

    according to a report on CNN's Nancy Grace Show, airing Oct. 7, Powell's husband, Josh, once told a friend that a mineshaft would be the best place to dispose of a body.



    You add in the fact that there was 'rumor' of Josh purchasing a large quantity of plastic type drop clothes, he may have killed her in the home, wrapped her in the plastic to transport her, temporarily placed her somewhere the night of the camping trip and went back when he had the car rental, so that he could move her to a more (hidden) appropriate place for her not to be discovered.

    Oh, and let's not forget he DID purchase, was it propane? He said it was for their camping heater.

    After the house explosion, it leads me to believe that those red hands he had the days AFTER Susan disappeared, was more than likely injuries received during the body disposal. IMHO, he may have burned her body first, then placed her in a mind shaft.

    So, if they're able to locate her, they may just feel it was a camp fire? Not realizing there was a body. Or if she's in a mind shaft, IF she was burned, could be ashes floated down.

    I know it's not where to look, but from what I recall from the beginning, possibly what to look for, which may give a hint of more direction to search and what to search for.

    JMHO
    fran



  10. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In my own reality...it's nicer here.
    Posts
    12,012
    I'm thinking Josh would have taken Susan somewhere he was familiar with, somewhere he had been to in the past, possibly an abandoned mine and I'm thinking it probably wasn't in the State of Utah, I'm just not sure how familiar he was with Utah. But he would certainly be familiar with places between WA State and West Valley City, UT, wouldn't he? Baker City, OR is about 472 mi. from West Valley City, UT, which would account for the near 1000 miles on the rental car (round trip) and there are many abandoned mines in or near Baker City, OR. http://mines.findthedata.org/search/city/Baker+City

    All jmo of course


  11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to momtective For This Useful Post:


  12. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    153
    In regards to burning a body to ashes, I do not think it is possible to do with a regular type of campfire. This article about cremation http://science.howstuffworks.com/cremation.htm says that temperatures during cremation reach 2000 Fahrenheit. That reduces the tissue to an ash like consistency, but the bones need to be ground up, which results in something akin to gravel. It also takes 2-3 hours at this temperature.

    According to these campfire guidelines http://www.windsorfire.com/divisions...ety-guidelines "The average campfire can get as hot as 500C (932F) in as little as 3 hrs."

    Based on that info, I would conclude that a campfire would not be hot enough to burn a body until it was ashes. There would be identifiable bones, which would be charred but still look like human bones.


  13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ljczec For This Useful Post:


  14. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,494
    Quote Originally Posted by ljczec View Post
    In regards to burning a body to ashes, I do not think it is possible to do with a regular type of campfire. This article about cremation http://science.howstuffworks.com/cremation.htm says that temperatures during cremation reach 2000 Fahrenheit. That reduces the tissue to an ash like consistency, but the bones need to be ground up, which results in something akin to gravel. It also takes 2-3 hours at this temperature.

    According to these campfire guidelines http://www.windsorfire.com/divisions...ety-guidelines "The average campfire can get as hot as 500C (932F) in as little as 3 hrs."

    Based on that info, I would conclude that a campfire would not be hot enough to burn a body until it was ashes. There would be identifiable bones, which would be charred but still look like human bones.
    You are correct, a campfire will not destroy bones. Even if he went back and lit it again. If he went back, which I think he did, he moved her, or buried the remains.

    Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.


  15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 21merc7 For This Useful Post:


  16. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,151
    As far as I know, we have never heard about Steven Powell's whereabouts during the time Susan disappeared. I have always wondered if JP panicked and SP met him halfway between the UT and WA homes.

    I also think we need to look back to what we know about the miles on the rental car. I don't think it was 1000, but rather several hundred.

    I also agree fire was involved - and his hands being red are because of it.

    From wikipedia: Flame temperatures of common items include a blow torch – which can burn usually up to around 1,600 C (2,900 F), a candle at 1,400 C (2,600 F),[5] a propane torch at 1,995 C (3,620 F), or a much hotter oxyacetylene combustion at 3,000 C (5,400 F). Cyanogen produces an even hotter flame with a temperature of over 4,525 C (8,180 F) when it burns in oxygen.[6]

    I remember talking about the large amounts of plastic wrap type stuff he bought - was that confirmed?

    Why the !@#$ wasn't he tailed in the rental car??!



    Lindsey Baum, Elizabeth Olten, Shantina Smiley/Azriel Carver, Susan Powell, Rachel Anderson, Kyron Horman, Isabel Celis, Sierra Newbold, Lyric Cook & Elizabeth Collins, Christopher Marks, Reena Williams - NEVER FORGOTTEN


  17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jules71 For This Useful Post:


  18. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    7,471
    Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    You are correct, a campfire will not destroy bones. Even if he went back and lit it again. If he went back, which I think he did, he moved her, or buried the remains.
    I am confused as to the boys saying that mommie was in the trunk. But, we are referring here to a van. There is no trunk in a van. Maybe it wasn't the night of the camp out, but at a later date. Is the date she went missing for sure the date he reported? I also think it is strange he moved out of his house so quickly. Maybe ashes, body parts, etc. are still there buried somewhere. Just throwing out thoughts.

    Did he own the home they were living in when she went missing?
    Last edited by mck16; 02-07-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: add a question
    My prayers are for the innocent.

    Dallas Cowboys!!!!
    Texas Rangers!!!!


  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mck16 For This Useful Post:


  20. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    221
    Hey all blessings to you. A long time ago, I studied this case and came up with a video using the most simple, factual info I could find. Hope there is some helpful reference in this. The thread was UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6 My post with the video was number 1064. Peace 2 U.
    If Marc could still smile big, so can I.


  21. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PercyVeer For This Useful Post:


  22. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,494
    Quote Originally Posted by mck16 View Post
    I am confused as to the boys saying that mommie was in the trunk. But, we are referring here to a van. There is no trunk in a van. Maybe it wasn't the night of the camp out, but at a later date. Is the date she went missing for sure the date he reported? I also think it is strange he moved out of his house so quickly. Maybe ashes, body parts, etc. are still there buried somewhere. Just throwing out thoughts.

    Did he own the home they were living in when she went missing?
    I've thought he kept her remains somewhere with him also. What better way to be totally in control of any possibility of her being found than to keep them where you are? Bury them under a house, put them in a venting duct, etc.... That is why I thought the house was on fire that he rented, until I got up to the horrible news the next morning.

    Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.


  23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 21merc7 For This Useful Post:


  24. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by PercyVeer View Post
    Hey all blessings to you. A long time ago, I studied this case and came up with a video using the most simple, factual info I could find. Hope there is some helpful reference in this. The thread was UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6 My post with the video was number 1064. Peace 2 U.
    I think Percy is talking about this post:

    Quote Originally Posted by PercyVeer View Post
    Hi Dear People; I am new to WS, long-time lurker. I appreciate the professionalism here, and the caring here. FYI: There is a new vid up on YT regarding asking people to check their memory December 6-8 regarding JP trips. Take Care. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8udgNVodBQ


  25. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:


  26. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    32,557
    Quote Originally Posted by mck16 View Post
    I am confused as to the boys saying that mommie was in the trunk. But, we are referring here to a van. There is no trunk in a van. Maybe it wasn't the night of the camp out, but at a later date. Is the date she went missing for sure the date he reported? I also think it is strange he moved out of his house so quickly. Maybe ashes, body parts, etc. are still there buried somewhere. Just throwing out thoughts.

    Did he own the home they were living in when she went missing?
    I believe it was Mr. and Mrs. Cox this morning that explained that the back of the van opened upwards, and these being young children, just don't always differentiate between the back of the van and the trunk of the car.

    As far as burning the body, I do believe he did. It may NOT have gone completely to ash, but he used a strong accelerant. There were earlier reports of him purchasing fuel of some sort. I just don't know where the items were discussed at this time.

    I do believe, IIRCC, there was verification of him buying the plastic. Again, I don't recall off-hand when we discussed this. I'll have to go back through previous threads and look for these, when I have more time.

    I just think that the puzzle can be put together if enough heads get together.

    We have to find Susan. We just have to!

    fran


  27. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:


  28. #30
    On the radio show, Kiirsi stated that they were in the van and that the boys call the back of it the "trunk".


  29. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 04:00 PM
  2. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 03:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •