Chief: probe of officer "in his underwear knocking on windows" could be cover-up

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Bizarre case pits SAPOA vs. Chief William McManus:

Police union president decries allegations of a cover-up (San Antonio Express-News)
A veteran San Antonio police sergeant was disoriented, in his underwear and knocking on windows of parked vehicles, believing they were his, a few blocks from where his city-issued pickup was found damaged on U.S. 281 north of downtown last week, persons familiar with the resulting investigation said.
Standard procedures followed?
Bizarre as his behavior may have been, officers who responded to a security guard's 911 call from an office building in the 700 block of East Mulberry Street around 6:45 a.m. Thursday followed standard procedure and likely will be cleared of Police Chief William McManus' allegations of a cover-up, the police union president said Tuesday.
---
And the chief says....
McManus announced at a press conference Monday that the sergeant was possibly driving while intoxicated and has been placed on administrative leave. He has not been charged. Citing “a number of improprieties,” McManus also alleged that six other officers — a lieutenant, three sergeants and two patrolmen — tried to cover up the sergeant's crash. They have been placed on administrative duty.
---
much more at link above

Bizarre case pits SAPOA vs. Chief William McManus:

Police union president decries allegations of a cover-up (San Antonio Express-News)

Standard procedures followed?

And the chief says....

much more at link above

Wow, I just read about this today. This happened near where I live. I don't believe for a second the officers will be cleared though. I think that's wishful thinking by the union president.

Wow, I just read about this today. This happened near where I live. I don't believe for a second the officers will be cleared though. I think that's wishful thinking by the union president.
I lived two miles from there and often have been by where it happened, E. Mulberry being the access street from 281 to Broadway.

Not sure who'll "win" this one. Chief McManus has my great respect whatever the case may be; he really improved SAPD and made it into a professional organization after coming to S.A. from D.C. almost six years ago. He's encountered police union difficulty before.

SAPD officer tied to pickup wreck retires from force (Express-News)
Police Sgt. Joseph Myers, who had been on administrative leave since he was found earlier this month without pants on roaming around an office building north of downtown near his wrecked city-issued pickup, officially retired Wednesday.

“He has submitted his paperwork with a separation date as of” today, police spokesman Sgt. Chris Benavides said, adding that no reason was given for the officer's retirement.
---
more on the still-ongoing investigation at link above

Ex-cop takes plea for bizarre pantsless wreck (San Antonio Express-News)
---
“I asked him about the fact he wasn't wearing pants and he stated that when he left home he thought his underwear were shorts,” Deputy Chief Janae Florance wrote in an Internal Affairs memo. Myers' other charges included trying to dilute a urine sample with toilet water that same day and another misapplication charge involving $7,000 in cash used for narcotics buys and confidential informants.
---
the rest at the link above

San Antonio PD was a stinking mess from the top down until they hired Chief McManus a few years ago. All i know is what I've read in the news but it seems he came in and started cleaning house. It takes a while to weed out widespread recklessness and corruption. Lots of hoops to jump through to terminate an unfit officer and it takes strict cooperation from higher ranking supervisors! McMannus has my respect too!

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong