Staples Co-Founder takes brave stand...Against Breastfeeding Mothers

Gardenlady

Reaction score
against breast feeding mothers. :eek:hoh:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/201...g-women-to-breastfeed-at-work-will-cost-jobs/

“Do you want [farming retailer] Tractor Supply to open stores or would you rather they take their capital and do what Obamacare and its 2,700 pages dictates – which is to open a lactation chamber at every single store that they have?” he asked.

Tom, you are so brave, taking a stand against those dangerous lactating mothers. We certainly can't let a bunch of hungry babies stand in the way of our pursuit of the almighty dollar. And Lord knows that Staples, as a national chain of definitely-not-overpriced office supplies can't afford to set aside a small area for women to pump or nurse, without having to make up those extra costs by getting rid of the jobs of its minimum-wage workers. Right? Right!?

Okay sarcasm off... No surprise this guy is a donor to Romney. And no surprise but, I guess if I have to shop for overpriced office supplies anytime in the future, I'll be headed to a local business, or Office Depot instead. What a jerk.

My daughter breast fed and she pumped milk into bottles to feed outside of home. She would never pull out a boob in front of people to feed her babies in public. Breast pumps and bottles are cheap and the cheapest most modest solution.

Some people can't pump.

And breast feeding is perfectly natural. After all, it's what those "*advertiser censored*" are for.

I nursed my daughter and would pump for a supply, so I could actually go out alone. But I possible got half an ounce from each side when I pumped... Friends would get over 8 oz... Everyone is different. I honestly don't understand why breast feeding in public is such a big deal. To me its another way for those who like to be in charge and in control of everything have a word in it. Its not their business. We are in America, suppose to be free to make our own chooses, but instead some are just jerks. I don't care what my next door neighbor does as long as he is not murdering and selling drugs. More important things to complain about in life. If only these people would put their mouths towards child abuse, missing children ect...

And even those who can pump, they shouldn't have to.

There is nothing on this earth more natural and beautiful as a mother nursing her baby.

There is nothing vulgar or sexual about it. Those who make it that way are the vulgar ones.

Nursing mothers do not "pull out a boob" in public in order to be flashy or sexual. They do it to feed hungry babies. That's it.

And I don't even see what that has to do with Mr.Staple's ignorant comments about how so, so awful it is to set aside a small area for women to pump or nurse. :confused:

Nursing mothers do not "pull out a boob" in public in order to be flashy or sexual. They don't to feed hungry babies. That's it.

And I don't even see what that has to do with Mr.Staple's ignorant comments about how so, so awful it is to set aside a small area for women to pump or nurse. :confused:

Thank you. I have heard people use that terminology before, how offensive.

I noticed this guy said he supports breastfeeding, that his wife breastfed. So would he have thought it was ok if his wife's employer made her go into a dirty old public bathroom or somewhere if she had to pump, or nurse? What a jerk.

I breastfed all of my children and if I had to do it in public, I would sit down somewhere and do it discretely. That's easy to do. Nursing babies are quiet and happy, and if you wear nursing clothes you look as if you are just holding a sleeping baby. What is disturbing about that?

OMG - this stuff drives me absolutely crazy. No other society on earth is as whacked out about breastfeeding than ours. Even women don't support other women about it.

But to have an employer blaming Obama because women need a quiet room to breastfeed is beyond belief. I guess it's Obama's fault that we women want to do something so "unnatural."

*advertiser censored* are apparently just for *advertiser censored* in our society, or they are some kind of silicon status symbol - just watch any of the Housewives of Blah Blah Blah.

I was very lucky. My husband was supportive, I had a mother and a mother-in-law who had breastfed lots of children, and I had a sister-in-law who had babies at the same time who loved breastfeeding. And we had some really good breastfeeding advocates where I live, so when I was having a really bad day I could call someone for a pep talk.

One thing I did not like to do was pump my breast milk. I still remember how that felt and it just wasn't pleasant for me. I feel sorry for women who get little time off from work to be with their newborns but want to continue breastfeeding. I know several women who quit their jobs and took a financial hit so they could do that for their kids - myself included.

My experience with all this is that mothers have gone from being revered in society to being treated like trash. Every week there's some story about a woman who dared to breastfeed on a plane, train, or in a mall. *horrors* All these women with *advertiser censored*! Scary! Scary!

What is this - the new Victorian Era? No, because Queen Victoria probably breastfed all of her children!

And let's just pretend for a moment that a mom is nursing in public, and someone (shock! Horror!) happens to see her breast. What do these prudes think is going to happen? A man will become aroused (because that NEVER happens unless a woman does something to provoke it, right?)? A child will be scarred for life because they caught a glimpse of a part of the human body doing what it was made to do? What is everyone so afraid is going to happen? A mass orgy breaks out in the mall, or something?!

There is something very warped about all this. You said it really well, Thought Fox, we are the only place in the world where these things are even issues. I swear sometimes that to other countries we must seem like my little boys, giggling over saying "poop" or laughing at fart jokes lol. Omg a boob!

And to claim that setting aside some small area is going to hurt businesses! The requirement is so light, the area can just be someplace multipurpose, no one is asking for a SPA for goodness' sakes, with candles and sparkling water and a tray of snacks. Just a private area! Smokers get breaks, why can't nursing or pumping moms?!

:banghead:

I really don't understand this squeamishness about breastfeeding. It's ignorant and annoying. Seriously, how do you think babies were fed before the invention of formula? How do you think most babies are fed around the globe? Did they pop up in the cabbage patch complete with a pack of Similac?

I breastfed all of my children and if I had to do it in public, I would sit down somewhere and do it discretely. That's easy to do. Nursing babies are quiet and happy, and if you wear nursing clothes you look as if you are just holding a sleeping baby. What is disturbing about that?

OMG - this stuff drives me absolutely crazy. No other society on earth is as whacked out about breastfeeding than ours. Even women don't support other women about it.

But to have an employer blaming Obama because women need a quiet room to breastfeed is beyond belief. I guess it's Obama's fault that we women want to do something so "unnatural."

*advertiser censored* are apparently just for *advertiser censored* in our society, or they are some kind of silicon status symbol - just watch any of the Housewives of Blah Blah Blah.

I was very lucky. My husband was supportive, I had a mother and a mother-in-law who had breastfed lots of children, and I had a sister-in-law who had babies at the same time who loved breastfeeding. And we had some really good breastfeeding advocates where I live, so when I was having a really bad day I could call someone for a pep talk.

One thing I did not like to do was pump my breast milk. I still remember how that felt and it just wasn't pleasant for me. I feel sorry for women who get little time off from work to be with their newborns but want to continue breastfeeding. I know several women who quit their jobs and took a financial hit so they could do that for their kids - myself included.

My experience with all this is that mothers have gone from being revered in society to being treated like trash. Every week there's some story about a woman who dared to breastfeed on a plane, train, or in a mall. *horrors* All these women with *advertiser censored*! Scary! Scary!

What is this - the new Victorian Era? No, because Queen Victoria probably breastfed all of her children!

Excellent post :) I heartily agree. The way that even other women make rude comments to nursing moms is ridiculous. It makes me mad.

I nursed all my children. When I would visit my family and my baby was hungry, then I would feed them, right there on the couch, at the table, etc. Yes, I was discreet about it. No one in my family cared. We would sit around talking, eating, whatever. No one said, "OMG put your boob away you nasty woman!" In fact, when my family gets together, a lot of the time we like to play cards. I got real good at dealing a hand and nursing at the same time! LOL

In contrast, when we would go visit my husbands family, when I needed to nurse, his mom had me go in the BASEMENT, so no one would "see me". So while everyone else was upstairs visiting, I was stuck downstairs. I felt like a pariah. Finally I just stopped going. I told my husband what was the point, I was tired of the baby and I being stuck in the basement the whole damn time just because my poor child was hungry. God forbid someone in his family caught a flash of breast. (which they wouldn't have, but I guess just the IDEA of it was frightening to them).

a6937cfb-eea1-8b64.jpg

I think some people are completely ignorant to breastfeeding. I was the first and ONLY person in my family to nurse and pretty much my whole family thought I was crazy for it. my sister said it was "gross" and my mom would always say "just make a bottle, it's easier." Being raised in that family I kinda thought the same way until I had my first and then I realized my family was just very uneducated about it. I think there are many many people out there that think like my family because they don't know anything about it.

I get fired up over the breastfeeding issue. I am a very discreet nurser, my husband couldn't ever tell if I was feeding our first or just holding her, but it still makes his mother uncomfortable. All of the comments about how I can't do something because I have to feed her. Whatever, I can do whatever I want. Sorry for that rant, anyway. I am now pumping for my second, I hate pumping and wish I didn't have to but right now we can't afford for me to be home. I started a new job in September, I brought up the issue of pumping because we are only in cubicles. They said I would have to go to the bathroom, I said, well That isn't really acceptable. I was offered a conference room that was fine with me. In reality I was fine with hanging a sheet over the entrance of my cubicle and pumping right here. But no, that would be too offense to anyone hearing the pump (no one said that but it is my guess). Thankfully by the time I came to work there was a "mothering station." Do employers not understand that it doesn't take very much space, just a place where a woman is comfortable, somewhere with an electrical outlet (if the pump requires it) and clean. We aren't asking for a penthouse suite. Ugh, just infuriates me at the mentality of some people.

In contrast, when we would go visit my husbands family, when I needed to nurse, his mom had me go in the BASEMENT, so no one would "see me". So while everyone else was upstairs visiting, I was stuck downstairs. I felt like a pariah. Finally I just stopped going. I told my husband what was the point, I was tired of the baby and I being stuck in the basement the whole damn time just because my poor child was hungry. God forbid someone in his family caught a flash of breast. (which they wouldn't have, but I guess just the IDEA of it was frightening to them).

I had similar experiences with my own family. People acted like I was being a loose woman or something if I wanted to breastfeed anywhere except a locked bedroom. It's ridiculous. My favorite was a wedding shower when one of my sisters-in-law came up to me and whispered "If you want to breastfeed, there's a chair in the bedroom." I'll just never forget that. I guess all the women there would have been shocked to see a glimpse of a breast. I guess the younger women might have been traumatized into never wanting to have children, so they put me out of sight.

I find it funny that this man is, apparently, threatened by the sight of a woman nursing a baby. Funny, and sad, at the same time.

There "are" discreet ways to nurse your baby...I've been there, done that. While I support breastfeeding mothers, I don't support whipping it out there, blatantly nursing for one and all to see, like a badge of honor. That changes breastfeeding from being about the baby to being about "you", or a social statement. Nursing, to me, is a special bond between mother and baby, not a spectator sport.

I had similar experiences with my own family. People acted like I was being a loose woman or something if I wanted to breastfeed anywhere except a locked bedroom. It's ridiculous. My favorite was a wedding shower when one of my sisters-in-law came up to me and whispered "If you want to breastfeed, there's a chair in the bedroom." I'll just never forget that. I guess all the women there would have been shocked to see a glimpse of a breast. I guess the younger women might have been traumatized into never wanting to have children, so they put me out of sight.

Ugh. And this from other women :(
(Maybe they thought the young women would be traumatized by what happens to your breasts after pregnancy and nursing? lol ;) )

I am tired of this attitude from men, also. I understand men like breasts as a sexual object, but come on. Their purpose is to nourish your child, men need to quit acting like horny little teenagers (or old prudes) I have tried to teach my boys that nursing is natural and is not something titillating because it involves breasts. There have been instances where we have been in public and seen a woman breastfeeding, and I would see a little "look" from my sons or a giggle. So I just told them, that woman is feeding her baby, it is not something to giggle over. I think they have gotten the point as I haven't seen them doing that the last couple times. I HOPE they have anyways.

I think I just figured out why breastfeeding bothers so many (at least in my family, anyway!)....women's breasts can serve more than one fuction....they can provide nourishment to her child; but they can also feel sexual pleasure. Maybe the people who don't want to think about nursing mothers are "stuck" on the sexual aspect of the breasts because they have no experience with the other....so when they see a woman nursing, they immediately equate it with sexual pleasure and it bothers them.

Personally, I can't even imagine someone thinking that women derive sexual pleasure from nursing, but I think I nursed for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many years!

Ugh. And this from other women :(
(Maybe they thought the young women would be traumatized by what happens to your breasts after pregnancy and nursing? lol ;) )

I am tired of this attitude from men, also. I understand men like breasts as a sexual object, but come on. Their purpose is to nourish your child, men need to quit acting like horny little teenagers (or old prudes) I have tried to teach my boys that nursing is natural and is not something titillating because it involves breasts. There have been instances where we have been in public and seen a woman breastfeeding, and I would see a little "look" from my sons or a giggle. So I just told them, that woman is feeding her baby, it is not something to giggle over. I think they have gotten the point as I haven't seen them doing that the last couple times. I HOPE they have anyways.

You were posting as I was typing, I think!
(I hope I'm not one of those "old prudes" because I think nursing should be done discreetly! I just find modesty refreshing in this day and age. :) )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back