20/20 - Josh Powell Told Sons He Had 'Surprise' For Them, Social Worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

annalia

Reaction score
I hope it's ok to start a new thread, I didn't know where this should go.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/josh-powell-told-sons-surprise/story?id=15549745

20/20 interview with the SW. Video from part of the interview also at the link.

Watch "Sins of the Father" on "20/20" Friday at 9 p.m. ET for more on the Powell story. A preview of the report, including more with social worker Elizabeth Griffin Hall, will air on tonight's "World News with Diane Sawyer" and Friday's "Good Morning America" at 7 a.m. ET.

"As Hall banged on the door, "I heard him say, 'Charlie, I've got a big surprise for you'... And then I heard Braden cry out."

Oh geesh. And he had a sheepish look and a shrug as he closed the door. It just keeps getting worse!

It sounds like the lady is trying hard to maintain. That is a positive sign for her, but for most of the article you can tell she is struggling with that. I wish her well, once the shock wears off it may get even harder. She said he did not look like a monster, poor thing. No one ever does.

This is what I said earlier in another thread. I think that if there were 2 social workers, they might have tried to break down the door. Would have, should have, could have, I guess. From the article above:

"I wanted to get to the kids," she said. "I wanted to get to the kids. I would have broken in if I could."

This just keeps getting worse and I am nauseated at the thought of those boys excited to see their father and running toward him with love in their hearts only to be lured to their deaths. Josh Powell was extremely sadistic. I cannot even get my head around it.

Why do I even keep reading the articles? I just keep getting more and more horrified. Those poor boys. I can't imagine how scared they must have been.

I love the part where she says "I will not be a victim. I will keep working with children" She also said she will never forget the kids.

Why do I even keep reading the articles? I just keep getting more and more horrified. Those poor boys. I can't imagine how scared they must have been.

Yes, and the sw hearing Braden crying out thinking he had stubbed his foot again because it was the same sound he made 'last time' or before that when he hurt his foot. The police believe that to be the time Braden was first hit with the axe. The poor little child. Yes, the poor little things so manipulated and fooled by their father (who acted more like a brother if you ask me).

This is the part I don't get. Chuck and Judy said the boys did not want to visit their father that day and, actually, the last couple times they were showing less and less interest in seeing him. So WHEN did Steven make the comment to the SW that he wanted to go live with his daddy and have his own frog pond. Was that lately --- or how long ago was that?

I love the part where she says "I will not be a victim. I will keep working with children" She also said she will never forget the kids.

She has such a kind face and heart, doesn't she? And the boys loved her so much! Everyone loved those boys except JP and his family (except sister Jennifer).

I wonder why she thought it was an accident when he slammed the door in her face and locked her out?

"Hall said the children loved being with their father. "One of them said what he wanted to do was go home and live with his daddy," she said.
And during visits with Powell, "I would see them light up."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/josh-powell-told-sons-surprise/story?id=15549745#.TzRWkvk3Esw

It's just so pathetic and sad I don't know what to say..

I wonder why she thought it was an accident when he slammed the door in her face and locked her out?

"Hall said the children loved being with their father. "One of them said what he wanted to do was go home and live with his daddy," she said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/josh-powell-told-sons-surprise/story?id=15549745#.TzRWkvk3Esw

BBM
I think it was cognitive dissonance. She saw him with what seemed to be a friendly face, and he looked her right in the eye, and she didn't expect there would be any reason for him to *deliberately* lock her out. So her mind couldn't immediately jump to the idea that there was something sinister going on. Then, when he ignored her knocking and calls to be let in, the reality that something was very wrong must have sunk in.

When she said that she had the idea of taking the boys back to the Coxes if Braden had hurt his foot, I think that was her panicking, realizing she had to do something, and thinking that that would be a good pretext for getting the boys out of there.

To me, it sounds as if this poor woman wasn't very well-informed about JP. Sure the kids wanted to live with Daddy. They probably had wishes about living with Mommy too, but that wasn't going to happen either.

I understand a social worker wanting to help these kids, but projecting their innocent wish for a family onto JP and trusting him obviously didn't work.

The fact he promised them a "surprise" is just evil, and no amount of wishful thinking can change that. Hello, reality!

This man was a monster. The closest who competes is John Couey or Joseph Duncan (Lunsford and Groene murders). Most who kill loved ones especially children at least regret it in a way and they don't seem to take sadistic pleasure in it "I have a surprise for you" ..my lord.

This just cannot be real.. Can it?? I mean we are talking Hollywood movies now.. Literally!!!! The words are the words of Hollywood actors in the horror genre industry but they really are coming from this *fathers* mouth as he is speaking to his precious little boys!!! How can this be??. How can this man have done it *this way*???. It's one thing to be able to attempt to wrap your mind around the fact that a father chose to take his young sons in death with him.. That is way hard enough to process in my mind where that alone is truly UNcomprehendable... But this... This is more than I can even grasp in my wildest of imaginations... It's tough to watch these type "scripted scenarios" playout on the screen of a Hollywood horror movie and makes one's heart race with anxiety as you turn your head away from watching it... and that's full well knowing that it's a MOVIE... These are actors who are laughing and playing after the "scene" is over... It's not real and the words are nothing more than an over imaginative horror script writers make believe...

So.. How on earth can I even begin to grasp the fact that these precious boys last moments here on this earth were the horrors of EVERY human beings worst nightmares... How to cope with the fact that these little boys ran anxiously, excidedly, and full of love to their daddy.. Their father.. Their greatest protector on earth.. And hear their daddy say "Charlie, I've got a big surprise for you! " as he wields an ax straight at Charlies neck????.. And precious Braden.. God that precious, poor baby and what he was witnessing as he cried out with the social worker hearing him and helpless to do anything to save him...

It now makes sense why Charlie only had the one wound to the neck and Braden had suffered more... It's due to the fact that precious Charlie was caught totally off guard with his father striking him first as Braden's little eyes saw the gruesome, terrifying horror that was inflicted on his big brother by their very own *daddy*... God bless him those next moments are more than I can bear and now it's clear why he was struck more than once.. He struggled!! He fought his *daddy* for his life after witnessing the horror done to Charlie!!

God**** this monster!! Damn him to the hottest pits of hell!! How... How.. How.. Could any member of his family even have the gall to defend this monster or attempt to portray him as a victim!!!! What he has done is THE ABSOLUTE UNIMAGINABLE!

I must seek solace and peace in knowing that these boys are with their momma and are whole.. Full of nothing but joy, happiness, and contentment beyond what our minds can even think of... I must take solace in that and I must keep that forefront in my mind for without my knowing this I certainly would not be able to cope with what is the truth of what happened in that house in those minutes of sheer and utter hell on earth brought down upon these precious boys by the evil who was Josh Powell.. WHO was their *daddy*!

My prayers continue for the Cox family and all of those that knew and loved Susan and her precious sons, Charlie and Braden..

I think I have to quit reading and watching things about this case now. Each time I click a link, it gets worse and worse. I just can't imagine.

I really thought we had heard all of the horror there was to hear. Have read the posts here but can't bring myself to read the entire article yet. Maybe tomorrow. I'm just still so sad and so angry.

I will never be able to come to grips with how this monster could do this.

My thoughts and prayers are with this woman and hope that she will be able to find a way to heal, although I really don't know how I would. There is nothing more she could have done to save Charlie and Braden from this monster.

Yes, and the sw hearing Braden crying out thinking he had stubbed his foot again because it was the same sound he made 'last time' or before that when he hurt his foot. The police believe that to be the time Braden was first hit with the axe. The poor little child. Yes, the poor little things so manipulated and fooled by their father (who acted more like a brother if you ask me).

This is the part I don't get. Chuck and Judy said the boys did not want to visit their father that day and, actually, the last couple times they were showing less and less interest in seeing him. So WHEN did Steven make the comment to the SW that he wanted to go live with his daddy and have his own frog pond. Was that lately --- or how long ago was that?

I know its hard to put together their not wanting to go with what she is saying but I see this with my own grandson who lives with us. He is 2 and when its time to go spend time with his mom he cries, but after he has been with her a few days his dad says he cries when its time to come back. I think its the disruption of their surroundings, they want to stay where they are at and are enjoying what they are doing at the time and dont want the disruption, does that make sence?

I think it was cognitive dissonance. She saw him with what seemed to be a friendly face, and he looked her right in the eye, and she didn't expect there would be any reason for him to *deliberately* lock her out.

I don't know how long she's worked with Josh and the kids* but she observed previous interactions that seemed to go well, she probably thought this wouldn't be any different and being locked out didn't register as being deliberate at first. I don't know what her instructions were regarding situations like this in general (how to deal with strange parental behavior) or how much she knew about the upcoming psychosexual/lie detector tests or other things that could further "stress" Josh.

* Just read in another thread that she had worked with them for a considerable amount of time and she had no fear of Josh.

Kids can be conflicted. And they may have not wanted to interrupt play for a visit at that moment. They also may have felt torn between the dad they loved and the new peace they felt at their grandparents, where they were able to speak and think about mommy.

To me, it sounds as if this poor woman wasn't very well-informed about JP. Sure the kids wanted to live with Daddy. They probably had wishes about living with Mommy too, but that wasn't going to happen either.

I understand a social worker wanting to help these kids, but projecting their innocent wish for a family onto JP and trusting him obviously didn't work.

The fact he promised them a "surprise" is just evil, and no amount of wishful thinking can change that. Hello, reality!

Yeah, well DSHS and the psychologist who worked this case weren't well informed either. I heard this lady say that she never thought he would hurt the kids. Psych said he was odd but not a risk to the children. DSHS echoed that.

People involved in the welfare of children need to be better educated and the system needs to pull its head out of you know where. People who commit domestic violence against a spouse are a danger of abusing their kids, even killing them, no matter how sweet they seem to be with those kids. People who MURDER their spouses are at high risk of murdering their kids, too. That's a fact. LE knows it, the family courts in my state seem to know it, now everyone should know it.

Oh, but the coward hadn't been arrested. He hadn't been publicly named a suspect. So, how could safety protocols, custody and visitation decisions be based on violence on his part towards his wife? Give me a break. Family courts and juvenile dependency courts make court orders every day, based on a finding that abuse or some sort of act occurred, in the absence of an arrest.

It was clear that this man murdered his wife two years ago. She disappeared in the middle of the night after he cooked her food and she fell ill and went to bed at 5:30 p.m.. Later that night, a Sunday, he took two toddlers into freezing weather at midnight, to go camping, even though he had work and they had school the next day. He refused to cooperate with his wife's investigation. A giant wet spot was found on the rug with fans drying it when the empty house was broken into after LE could not get a hold of the family and did a welfare check. The coward failed to answer his phone for hours. Before she went missing, Susan had indicated he was controlling and she feared him.

Yeah, it may not be enough for a conviction or even maybe an arrest. But it certainly was enough to indicate he killed his wife or was involved in her death which means he was an extreme danger to the lives of his kids from the get go. CPS and the court could have acted accordingly on those facts alone, no arrest necessary, as they do every day.

Until everyone in our nation who is involved in child welfare understand that people who hurt their intimate partners are just a hop and a skip away from hurting their kids, we will have more such cases. I hope the judge in Michelle Parker's case is taking note.

I know its hard to put together their not wanting to go with what she is saying but I see this with my own grandson who lives with us. He is 2 and when its time to go spend time with his mom he cries, but after he has been with her a few days his dad says he cries when its time to come back. I think its the disruption of their surroundings, they want to stay where they are at and are enjoying what they are doing at the time and dont want the disruption, does that make sence?

I do hope she was able to communicate the details to Chuck and Judy before going public with the exclusive interview, just so they could be a little prepared for it. Those details have to be beyond devastating for them.

Yes, because little children just want everyone to be nice and happy and together all the time. Children want things to be boringly normal and stable. But they also have magical thinking and believe all kinds of things that have nothing to do with reality.

I think this social worker was kind and sweet to the kids, and that's awesome. But she was out of her depth with JP because he somehow has the ability to fool people into thinking he is Mr. Nice Guy. Appearances are deceiving.

"When I close my eyes I see him and he was so normal. He did not look like a monster."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/josh-powell-told-sons-surprise/story?id=15549745

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member