DSM5: childhood shyness, bereavement after death could be classified mental disorders

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Tabloids tend to be a bit shrill when reporting on proposed reforms.

Shyness in a child and depression after bereavement could be classed as mental illness in controversial new reforms
Childhood shyness could be reclassified as a mental disorder under controversial new guidelines, warn experts.

They also fear that depression after bereavement and behaviour now seen as eccentric or unconventional will also become ‘medicalised’.
---
The threat comes in the form of proposed changes to [the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders], viewed as a bible by some in the field.
---
The DSM5 changes are also opposed by many experts in the U.S., some of whom claim they reflect efforts by drug companies to sell more products.
---
A growth field, this:
---
Simon Wessely, of the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College, London, said:
---
‘Back in 1840 the census of the United States included just one category for mental disorder.

‘By 1917 the American Psychiatric Association recognised 59, rising to 128 in 1959, 227 in 1980, and 347 in the last revision. Do we really need all these labels?

‘Probably not. And there is a real danger that shyness will become social phobia, bookish kids labelled as Asperger’s and so on.’
---
more at Daily Mail link above

So is there a drug to treat childhood shyness?

So is there a drug to treat childhood shyness?

I remember drugs for "social anxiety". I saw them on TV commercials. My (now)teen daughter is shy. I just got her a book about why it's okay to be an introvert. IMO, shyness and grief have no place in the DSM.

shyness and social anxiety are two very different things. everyone is shy to a degree, at least in some situations. shy people are that way because its their personality. people who are shy should be taught that its ok and that there are ways to deal with situations in which they are uncomfortable. it should not be pathologized.

social anxiety is a whole other story. it gets in they way of functioning. it is not shyness, it is far beyond that. it can be treated, with various therapies and sometimes medication.

all IMO, but i am typing this both as someone who studies child psychology and also someone who has been diagnosed with severe social anxiety.

I'm eagerly awaiting the 5th edition of the DSM.

It makes little sense that it's been hinted that other disorders are expected to be downplayed or eliminated, yet they are making normal life issues into disorders. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back