GUILTY LA - Ray Nagin for corruption, money laundering, New Orleans, 2013

I will say this about Ray Nagin, he didn't become a mega-millionaire after his public service like soooo many we see return to their "home base" seats on the boards of trustees at major corporate concerns. He is actually pretty behind the times. Per his Wiki page, he went into the home improvement business selling granite and stone with family members-- never drawing more than 25% as income. Not only that, it went belly up with all the other real estate ventures in this economy.

Now, he's a consultant and lectures. We'll see what sticks. moo

Ray Nagin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never liked the man.

How he acted after Katrina was a real embarrassment for me as a citizen of the great state of Louisiana.

JMO

At the crux of the issue is the question of how far Nagin was willing to go to ensure contracts for his sons' business.

In 2007, the home improvement chain was trying to build a new store in the city to take advantage of the post-Hurricane Katrina renovation boom. It was negotiating the sale of land on which to build its store. But sources say the grand jury isn't looking at the sale of the land itself but whether Nagin benefited from the relationship he developed with a man who already had contracts with The Home Depot. And whether that man, Frank Fradella, got tens of millions of dollars in city contracts because he secured the contracts for Nagin and his sons.

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2012/02/did_ray_nagins_concern_for_his.html

How he acted after Katrina was a real embarrassment for me as a citizen of the great state of Louisiana.

JMO

I agree with you, Kimberlyd125. I was born and raised in Louisiana and have relatives right outside of New Orleans. They came up and stayed with family during Katrina and her aftermath.

I did like Nagin at first, then came to feel as you do! Now I am certainly not surprised to hear about this investigation.

Maybe he didn't become a mega-millionaire, but you can bet he had a lot of income and assets he didn't/couldn't show! IMO

MOO!

It's about time, it's his time now.

Any honest politicians left?? hum, good question posed.....

I am waiting and anxious for the results of this investigation.

Nagin has always just rubbed me the wrong way. I know that is no basis
for an investigation but I always felt he was dirty during Katrina.

Your time Mr. Nagin..

Goz

JMO

Isn't he the racist outspoken guy from Katrina? Thought the government should just anti up a whole new NO for him?

He called NOLA a chocolate city. He said it would be chocolate again.

I never liked him. I think that he's worried about other things that this Grand Jury probe could show. I think he has lots of skeletons in his closets....JMO

Ray Nagin, Former New Orleans Mayor, Indicted On 21 Corruption Charges, Including Bribery, Fraud

The federal indictment accuses Nagin of accepting more than $160,000 in bribes and truckloads of free granite for his family business in exchange for promoting the interests of a local businessman who secured millions of dollars in city contract work after the 2005 hurricane. The businessman, Frank Fradella, pleaded guilty in June to bribery conspiracy and securities-fraud charges and has been cooperating with federal authorities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/18/ray-nagin-charges_n_2505403.html

Ray Nagin Indictment: First New Orleans Mayor to Face Corruption Charges

The Feds are going after Ray, not that anyone around here is surprised. But that the indictment came down at carnival time - ouch!

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/01/ray_nagin_becomes_first_new_or.html#incart_maj-story-1

The indictment against Nagin includes six counts of bribery, one count of conspiracy, one count of money laundering, nine counts of deprivation of honest services through wire fraud and four counts of filing false tax returns.

In brief, the former mayor is charged with:

• Accepting $50,000 and "numerous truckloads" of free granite from Frank Fradella, the former chief executive of Home Solutions of America, a now-defunct firm that specialized in disaster recovery.

• Accepting $72,500 in bribes, paid by cash and check, from Rodney Williams, the founder of Three Fold Consultants, a local engineering firm.

• Using his political stroke to help kill a "community benefits agreement" that would have required Home Depot to hire a certain number of residents from the surrounding neighborhood, and pay them above-market rates, at the retailer's new Central City store.

• Helping the owner of a movie theater in eastern New Orleans, listed in the document as "Businessman A," get out of an overdue tax debt to the city.

More at link.

This doesn't surprise me at all of him.

I'm from south Louisiana and love so much about my state...our food, culture, friendly, good-hearted people. But our politics, well not so much.

the vote from the folks in this house who watched those poor people suffer, be subjected to abhorrent conditions, rape, and death during Katrina- is that a few more charges that involve LWOP should be included.

the vote from the folks in this house who watched those poor people suffer, be subjected to abhorrent conditions, rape, and death during Katrina- is that a few more charges that involve LWOP should be included.

Thanks was not enough for your post. I totally agree with you!

JMO, IMO, :moo: , and all other disclaimers.

i wasn't shocked to read this and frankly feel vindicated.

his chocolate city speech was one of the most atrocious examples of race baiting i have ever witnessed. glad to see that his hatred towards whites landed him no better than any other run of the mill white collared middle aged white man thief.

frankly i view his Katrina behavior and recent crimes a monumental insult to the african american majority in this country.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=20661502

Ex-N.O. mayor's arraignment delayed until Feb. 20

Nagin was scheduled to be arraigned Jan. 31. On Wednesday, however, U.S. District Judge Helen Berrigan moved Nagin's arraignment to Feb. 20. Berrigan's order doesn't give a reason for the delay or say if it was requested by Nagin's attorney or federal prosecutors.

Will Ray Nagin continue to resist the lure of a plea?:

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2013/02/will_ray_nagin_continue_to_res.html

It is such a rare case, state or federal, that does not end with a plea bargain that we must conclude either that prosecutors hardly ever file erroneous charges or possess great coercive powers.

In 2011, according to The Wall Street Journal, 97 percent of federal cases ended with a plea, although prosecutors may not be quite so infallible as those numbers suggest. Some of those who acquiesced to a spell in prison in return for reduced charges could no doubt have beaten the rap, as the Kenneth Kassab case suggested.

Kassab, the Journal reported, pulled out of a deal at the last minute, went to trial and was acquitted. Only a tiny minority of indictments lead to such a happy outcome, however, and other defendants will rue the day they decided to resist the threats or blandishments of prosecutors and face trial.

Nagin, who is now 56, could be around 80 before he gets out of the pen if he goes to trial and loses, the outcome on which most of us would be inclined to bet. His attorney said he was surprised when the indictment was handed up because he was in the middle of negotiations with the feds. That presumably indicates Nagin was up for a deal but balked at what the feds regarded as an appropriate sentence.

More at link.

Ray Nagin pleads not guilty to 21 bribery-related charges, avoids comment

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/02/former_mayor_ray_nagin_pleads.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member