999 users online (227 members and 772 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LA - Ray Nagin for corruption, money laundering, New Orleans, 2013

"Sources told Reuters on Friday that former New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin is being investigated by federal authorities for allegedly receiving favors or items of value from vendors under city contracts."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...stigation.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    "Sources told Reuters on Friday that former New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin is being investigated by federal authorities for allegedly receiving favors or items of value from vendors under city contracts."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...stigation.html
    I've concluded the number of honest politicians is in single digits. Maybe they can be counted on one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    I've concluded the number of honest politicians is in single digits. Maybe they can be counted on one hand.
    Can you name them...I can't think of any. JMO
    Just my opinion, of course.

I will say this about Ray Nagin, he didn't become a mega-millionaire after his public service like soooo many we see return to their "home base" seats on the boards of trustees at major corporate concerns. He is actually pretty behind the times. Per his Wiki page, he went into the home improvement business selling granite and stone with family members-- never drawing more than 25% as income. Not only that, it went belly up with all the other real estate ventures in this economy.

Now, he's a consultant and lectures. We'll see what sticks. moo

Ray Nagin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 05-15-2015 at 11:08 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    I've never liked the man.

How he acted after Katrina was a real embarrassment for me as a citizen of the great state of Louisiana.

JMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

At the crux of the issue is the question of how far Nagin was willing to go to ensure contracts for his sons' business.

In 2007, the home improvement chain was trying to build a new store in the city to take advantage of the post-Hurricane Katrina renovation boom. It was negotiating the sale of land on which to build its store. But sources say the grand jury isn't looking at the sale of the land itself but whether Nagin benefited from the relationship he developed with a man who already had contracts with The Home Depot. And whether that man, Frank Fradella, got tens of millions of dollars in city contracts because he secured the contracts for Nagin and his sons.
    http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.s...n_for_his.html
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post

How he acted after Katrina was a real embarrassment for me as a citizen of the great state of Louisiana.

JMO
    I agree with you, Kimberlyd125. I was born and raised in Louisiana and have relatives right outside of New Orleans. They came up and stayed with family during Katrina and her aftermath.

I did like Nagin at first, then came to feel as you do! Now I am certainly not surprised to hear about this investigation.

Maybe he didn't become a mega-millionaire, but you can bet he had a lot of income and assets he didn't/couldn't show! IMO

MOO!
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

It's about time, it's his time now.

Any honest politicians left?? hum, good question posed.....

I am waiting and anxious for the results of this investigation.

Nagin has always just rubbed me the wrong way. I know that is no basis
    for an investigation but I always felt he was dirty during Katrina.

Your time Mr. Nagin..

Goz

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post

JMO
    Isn't he the racist outspoken guy from Katrina? Thought the government should just anti up a whole new NO for him?

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    He called NOLA a chocolate city. He said it would be chocolate again.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

I never liked him. I think that he's worried about other things that this Grand Jury probe could show. I think he has lots of skeletons in his closets....JMO
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

Ray Nagin, Former New Orleans Mayor, Indicted On 21 Corruption Charges, Including Bribery, Fraud

The federal indictment accuses Nagin of accepting more than $160,000 in bribes and truckloads of free granite for his family business in exchange for promoting the interests of a local businessman who secured millions of dollars in city contract work after the 2005 hurricane. The businessman, Frank Fradella, pleaded guilty in June to bribery conspiracy and securities-fraud charges and has been cooperating with federal authorities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2505403.html

Ray Nagin Indictment: First New Orleans Mayor to Face Corruption Charges

The Feds are going after Ray, not that anyone around here is surprised. But that the indictment came down at carnival time - ouch!

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...rt_maj-story-1

The indictment against Nagin includes six counts of bribery, one count of conspiracy, one count of money laundering, nine counts of deprivation of honest services through wire fraud and four counts of filing false tax returns.

In brief, the former mayor is charged with:

• Accepting $50,000 and "numerous truckloads" of free granite from Frank Fradella, the former chief executive of Home Solutions of America, a now-defunct firm that specialized in disaster recovery.

• Accepting $72,500 in bribes, paid by cash and check, from Rodney Williams, the founder of Three Fold Consultants, a local engineering firm.

• Using his political stroke to help kill a "community benefits agreement" that would have required Home Depot to hire a certain number of residents from the surrounding neighborhood, and pay them above-market rates, at the retailer's new Central City store.

• Helping the owner of a movie theater in eastern New Orleans, listed in the document as "Businessman A," get out of an overdue tax debt to the city.

More at link.

This doesn't surprise me at all of him.

I'm from south Louisiana and love so much about my state...our food, culture, friendly, good-hearted people. But our politics, well not so much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast