Are they holding Josh Powell's Body?

mamamia54

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
mysticsnowangel.proboards.com
I've seen a few people that are wondering when Josh Powell is going to be buried, and by whom. It almost makes me wonder if they are attempting to make a positive identification. All I've heard is it was presumed that it was his body. Am I incorrect?

I've seen a few people that are wondering when Josh Powell is going to be buried, and by whom. It almost makes me wonder if they are attempting to make a positive identification. All I've heard is it was presumed that it was his body. Am I incorrect?

OMG, I can't believe they wouldn't have done that already. It better be him. jmo

I can't find a link for this, but on Seattle radio station KIRO 97.3 FM, it was reported this morning (2/13) that Josh's body was released to his aunt and uncle today.

I am wondering why the aunt and uncle and not his brothers and sisters??? mother???

Maybe his brain should be studied for science.

I am sure they checked to make sure its him. There have been a few cases where someone set a fire and burned a body in order to escape/get insurance, etc. So its not out of the realm of possibility and I am sure they checked.

Good Luck to him in the afterlife. He'll be in pergatory forever. It's not for me to judge..."Only God Can Judge".

I'm literally sick over what he did to his sons (and his wife).

As a somewhat "normal" (LOL) person, I would throw myself in front of a truck to save my sons.

He was soooo mentally ill.

I am wondering why the aunt and uncle and not his brothers and sisters??? mother???

He must have left instructions to give his remains to them since he left them other instructions. Maybe?

I'm suprised anyone would claim him. Though his father would if he wasn't in jail.

Good luck finding a pastor/clergy to give this evil man any type of service.

ICK!

MOO

Mel

I'm suprised anyone would claim him. Though his father would if he wasn't in jail.

Good luck finding a pastor/clergy to give this evil man any type of service.

ICK!

MOO

Mel

BBM

I'm confused. I'm not a Christian and I was not raised in an Abrahamic religion, so points of doctrine often puzzle me.

I thought it was Christian doctrine to, well, be optimistic and hope that someone who has committed such an act had a moment of clarity just before death in which they repented of their sins and accepted Christ as their saviour, etc. And so a clergyman would give a service for someone like Josh Powell, just in case JP had such a conversion experience.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying out of unfamiliarity with the Abrahamic religions, though.

BBM

I'm confused. I'm not a Christian and I was not raised in an Abrahamic religion, so points of doctrine often puzzle me.

I thought it was Christian doctrine to, well, be optimistic and hope that someone who has committed such an act had a moment of clarity just before death in which they repented of their sins and accepted Christ as their saviour, etc. And so a clergyman would give a service for someone like Josh Powell, just in case JP had such a conversion experience.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying out of unfamiliarity with the Abrahamic religions, though.

Most clergymen will do a service for someone, even a murderer, because they would want to console the living and give them some peace.

For most Christians, the departed have made their choices before death and are considered to be facing judgment in the afterlife. Some Christians believe in Purgatory, where the dead - especially suicides - can still be prayed for prior to judgment. I don't know what the status of a double-murder-suicide would be, with Susan's disappearance also possibly due to Josh as well.

I think it's a safe bet, religion-wise, that Josh didn't have a last-minute conversion considering he did an axe-job on his children then lit a match to blow up his house before they were completely dead. He was apparently a sociopath incapable of knowing right from wrong, so whatever his beliefs, he wasn't following any Christian principles when he chose to kill himself and those boys.

"What if someone leads one of these little ones who believe in me to sin? If he does, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck."
Jesus, Mark 8:42

BBM

You are right...there are many possibilities for a service. I used to help with the funeral ministry at our church, and there are all kinds of options in the book for Catholic priests.

(OT: My favorite that I never knew about: A funeral Mass for the non-Catholic spouse of a Catholic. DH is getting that b/c he always says he doesn't care. Okey-dokey! :innocent: )

I think they will probably lay him to rest with a simple graveside ceremony, maybe only the aunt and uncle and minister or even just a funeral director there, and probably no marker for a long time to keep people from vandalizing it.

Whoever finds a few comforting words to say about Josh should get a big tip. I can't imagine writing that speech.

Most clergymen will do a service for someone, even a murderer, because they would want to console the living and give them some peace.

For most Christians, the departed have made their choices before death and are considered to be facing judgment in the afterlife. Some Christians believe in Purgatory, where the dead - especially suicides - can still be prayed for prior to judgment. I don't know what the status of a double-murder-suicide would be, with Susan's disappearance also possibly due to Josh as well.

I think it's a safe bet, religion-wise, that Josh didn't have a last-minute conversion considering he did an axe-job on his children then lit a match to blow up his house before they were completely dead. He was apparently a sociopath incapable of knowing right from wrong, so whatever his beliefs, he wasn't following any Christian principles when he chose to kill himself and those boys.

BBM

I agree that it is highly unlikely for the reasons you give.

However, I thought Abrahamic religions believed in miracles? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really serious--I've never been able to figure out the "rules" for miracles, so to speak.

I don't *think* it matters from an Abrahamic religion theological viewpoint how likely it is that Josh Powell had a last second conversion or not because isn't that the definition of a miracle? Something happens that is unlikely or even impossible according to the knowledge or judgment of most humans? There is a finite albeit infinitesimal chance he did, so a Christian funeral would be possible.

Or would it? (so confusing)

I suppose that to someone raised or believing in one of the Abrahamic religions would find my responsibility according to Buddhist precepts to find compassion within me even for Josh Powell equally confusing. And I would be the first to admit that I often fail at the compassion thing, shamefully often.

I can find some compassion for Josh as someone who was very deeply troubled, but what he did was unthinkable...and have to believe God will handle him to his will. I realize JP did have a choice, but I think his father had such a twisted grip on him he couldn't get passed it. If he was innocent and/or martyred himself for his father....it's even worse; and since everyone under SP's control stood by Josh...I don't think it would be out of the question, tbh. Whatever the case, it will zip right by SP's conscience, imo.

BBM

I agree that it is highly unlikely for the reasons you give.

However, I thought Abrahamic religions believed in miracles? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really serious--I've never been able to figure out the "rules" for miracles, so to speak.

I don't *think* it matters from an Abrahamic religion theological viewpoint how likely it is that Josh Powell had a last second conversion or not because isn't that the definition of a miracle? Something happens that is unlikely or even impossible according to the knowledge or judgment of most humans? There is a finite albeit infinitesimal chance he did, so a Christian funeral would be possible.

Or would it? (so confusing)

I suppose that to someone raised or believing in one of the Abrahamic religions would find my responsibility according to Buddhist precepts to find compassion within me even for Josh Powell equally confusing. And I would be the first to admit that I often fail at the compassion thing, shamefully often.

It's not a lack of compassion, I don't think, to say that Josh committed an act of evil. We have to look at the facts.

And there are no "rules" for miracles. The miracle would have been if he had decided not to kill his boys that day. But that's not what happened.

I don't really want to debate religion with you here, but as a Christian I can tell you that someone who planned out a murder suicide for his own children did not have a last-minute conversion, or he wouldn't have lit that match and blown himself up along with them. His last act on earth would be considered evil by most cultures on earth, religious or secular, since killing children in no way helps the human race.

ETA: Christians believe that evil exists and that people have to feel remorse in order to be washed clean of it. Josh has never shown any remorse about his missing wife, and his last act on earth was totally selfish and cruel, not just to his boys, but also their extended family and the social worker who watched them go up in flames. Josh made a clear choice to do something evil - that was his choice.

They can have an elaborate funeral and say all kinds of prayers and scriptures over his body, it won't change the fact that he murdered his sons and took his own life. Maybe people would be more able to have compassion if he had just killed himself and allowed those boys to grow up and live a decent life. There was no reason whatsoever to take their lives, he did that to exact revenge on Susan's family, to make them suffer even more than they already have. Even IF he had a moment of clarity at the end, and begged forgiveness for what he was about to do.... I'm not sure that is an act that God will forgive. I was brought up to believe that the sin of suicide was unforgivable, because God can only forgive you for what you've already done... not what you are about to do.
Doesn't matter to me if they have a big funeral or just a graveside service, or if they only dig a hole and bury his remains. It won't change what he did.

JP will probably have a visitation and service as his family traditions dictate. If they ask a pastor, most likely the pastor would give a carefully worded service. The Christian religion is big on forgiveness, on the fact that judgement is Our Father's business not ours. And there is also the care and comfort of the other family members to consider.

I have no guesses on what the family will decide to do with service. Allegedly the SP now shunned religion. But JP had a pastor. So could be a funeral service, but most likely would be a memorial type service. Surely they won't have a "celebration of life." Most likely it will be a private service, invitation only. Maybe at the funeral home. I do look for burial to be in the same cemetary as the boys, even if he isn't placed next to them.

I hope they bury him up there .. we don't need the circus down here ...

Just sayin' ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back