Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Powell's Graham house a 'fake,' investigators say

http://www.theolympian.com/2012/04/1...l?storylink=fb

The rental house was demolished today. Everything was removed including the driveway.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jmarple For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jmarple View Post
    http://www.theolympian.com/2012/04/1...l?storylink=fb

The rental house was demolished today. Everything was removed including the driveway.
    I hope Mr. Small sues the 'heirs' of josh's estate to recoup some or all of the 60K he lost by renting to josh.

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives!

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jacie Estes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie Estes View Post
    I hope Mr. Small sues the 'heirs' of josh's estate to recoup some or all of the 60K he lost by renting to josh.
    Well, to be fair, I think the land itself is worth more than $60,000. If he waits a little while, I would think it would be safe to build a new house. It is one thing to live in a house where such a terrible tragedy occurred, but it is a different thing to live in a completely new house built on the same spot.

If he does end up donating the land, then I think the estate should be sued for the loss. I also think the Coxes should sue the estate for Susan's retirement money he STOLE before he moved from Utah.
    Justice is the constant and perpetual will to allot to every man his due. Domitus Ulpian

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gwenabob For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gwenabob View Post
    Well, to be fair, I think the land itself is worth more than $60,000. If he waits a little while, I would think it would be safe to build a new house. It is one thing to live in a house where such a terrible tragedy occurred, but it is a different thing to live in a completely new house built on the same spot.

If he does end up donating the land, then I think the estate should be sued for the loss. I also think the Coxes should sue the estate for Susan's retirement money he STOLE before he moved from Utah.
    BBM

They absolutely should be sued. How was he able to take the money in the first place? IIRC wasn't he there at the bank after Susan went missing and LE was called?

It seems the neighbors are interested in doing what was done in the Megan Kanka case. The house/property where Megan was murdered was bought, torn down and a park made on the site.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3699,3729354

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives!

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jacie Estes For This Useful Post:

Here is another article on the house demolition

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile/...lland.html.csp
    Proud member of the AFKBPOFPOPL

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wenwe4 For This Useful Post:

I'm glad for all concerned that the remains of the house are gone. There would never be enough time for the house to be refurbished and rented/sold. It would be a blemish on the neighborhood and a horrific reminder of a tragedy every time the neighbors had to look at the burned out shell. Now, given time a new little cottage could be put on the spot and sold or rented, a house used by social services, better yet a small neighborhood park dedicated to children lost in senseless acts of depravity.

Mr Small and family I hope you recoup every cent and I hope you recover from this trauma that Powell inflicted on your life. Good bless.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:

I don't know the laws of Utah, but I don't see how the Coxes could sue JP's estate. JP had POW over Susan's retirement money. When my husband went to Afghanistan I had him sign over his POA to me. His parents had no claim to any money/assests of his. The Coxes could sue, but I don't think they could win and the lawyers would get a good chunk of the estate.
    Last edited by Sulamith; 04-13-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Should be POA instead of POW

Quote Originally Posted by Sulamith View Post
    I don't know the laws of Utah, but I don't see how the Coxes could sue JP's estate. JP had POW over Susan's retirement money. When my husband went to Afghanistan I had him sign over his POA to me. His parents had no claim to any money/assests of his. The Coxes could sue, but I don't think they could win and the lawyers would get a good chunk of the estate.
    I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me he used that POA under fraudulant circumstances. He killed her and he knew it, and used that circumstance in order to clean out money that belonged to the woman he killed. It is wrong for someone to profit from a spouse's death. Since he killed her, anything she had should skip him as an heir. JMO.
    Justice is the constant and perpetual will to allot to every man his due. Domitus Ulpian

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to gwenabob For This Useful Post:

TLC is currently airing a new episode of 20/20 on TLC. It is called 'Desperate Dads' - and is focusing on Josh Powell and another dad from Arkansas.

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to meganx3xo For This Useful Post:

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me he used that POA under fraudulant circumstances. He killed her and he knew it, and used that circumstance in order to clean out money that belonged to the woman he killed. It is wrong for someone to profit from a spouse's death. Since he killed her, anything she had should skip him as an heir. JMO.
    I agree with you. Of course it it wrong to profit from a spouse's death, but WVPD never said she was dead, only a missing person. I am looking at this from a legal issue. It is most unfortunate that WVPD did not charge JP. But since they did not, I really do not see how JP used SP POW under fraudulant circumstanses.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sulamith For This Useful Post:

I as well hope that the owners recoup their losses.

I do as well believe that the Cox's will receive most if not all of the life insurance money.

By bringing a civil suit, I would hope that documents would then be released as I am certain there is much we are not aware of as of yet.

Sulamith brings up a valid point although most believe she is no longer alive, she has not been declared legally deceased.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Allusonz For This Useful Post:

It seems like the will & testament of JP would hinge on state/civil/marital laws and the fact that SP has not been declared dead. Perhaps all will have to go into probate until SP is declared dead. None of the Powell's should be entitled to any of the monies and or properties until such time that their rightful owner SP (JP's wife) is declared dead. Especially since, a good portion of his assets were likely derived via the theft of SP's 401K.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234