1210 users online (221 members and 989 guests)  

Websleuths News

IN - boyfriend scalds toddler almost to death

Ivan Embry

he sat…on the toilet as he then held the 2-year-old’s head underneath the hot water for approximately two minutes.” He told police he did this because, “he became angry that Jay’ Shawn and the infant were crying

Bless his little heart. He looks so pitiful in that picture all wrapped up in gauze. I can't imagine sitting there holding a child's head under scalding water. He waited until the water started steaming? You can't get much more purposeful than that.
    Forum: Jury Room
    Thread: Most interesting classic unsolved murder cases

This thread currently has over 350 cases with a brief synopsis of each and we are still adding additional cases.

You can access a spreadsheet that lists the cases in alphabetical order with the page & post number so that you can locate a particular case you may be interested in. It also contains links to any cases that already have a thread on WS.

Many cases do not have a thread. Please feel free to start one in the appropriate forum if you would like to look into one. Should you start a thread on one of these cases, please let me know so that I can add the link to the spreadsheet.

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in alphabetical order:

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in country order:

Forum: Jury Room
    Thread: Cold But Not Too Old Murder Case List

This is a listing of newer but still cold cases. As with the above thread we will be adding as we go along. Most of these cases will probably have threads. If you do start a new one, please let me know so I can add the link to the spreadsheets. The spreadsheets may be accessed from the links below.

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in alphabetical order:

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in country order:

State of Disbelief. SC
    That picture is heartwrenching
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

I think this is the same guy...

In 2012, Embry was convicted of battery with serious bodily injury on a victim less than fourteen years old. On the basis of this conviction, he was designated an SVF.

In January 2015, Embry entered a bank in Kokomo and approached a teller. He handed her a note that read, “shut the ****** up and give me the money.”

Immediately thereafter, he pointed a handgun at her and handed her a bag to put the money in...

The court found the sole mitigator to be Embry’s guilty plea and, pursuant to the plea agreement, sentenced him to sixteen- and eight-year concurrent terms. The trial court ordered twelve years to be executed and the remainder suspended to supervised probation.
    Embry appealed this sentence, but the judges affirmed.

As for his character, Embry focuses his argument on his mental illness. In this vein, we believe that mental illness is less a reflection of character than a condition to be treated. Embry was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at age four and has been in and out of treatment for nearly a quarter century.

He disparages the criminal justice system and cites the lack of productivity in “[w]arehousing in prison people with diagnosed mental health issues.”

However, he admits that he received treatment during his stints in prison and tended to relapse when released, self-medicating with street drugs and doing "foolish” things.

While we are mindful of the importance of addressing the unique needs of inmates who suffer from mental disorders, we are unpersuaded by Embry’s assertion that his mental health would be better served by probation rather than executed time.

That said, we emphasize that Embry has been in and out of the system for the majority of his life, having launched his criminal career at age thirteen.