CA CA - Healdsburg, WhtFem 961UFCA, 29-39, in Foss Creek, Jan'83

LeighAnnR

Reaction score
Finally got info on the Jane Doe from 1983.
Healdsburg Police, the Local LE never heard of Namus!

NOT ON NAMUS/Doe

Healdsburg Jane Doe

Found 1-24-1983
Age 34 +/- 5 years
5'4" +/- 3"

Brown hair.

Based on the article, below, the body was NOT skeletanized, so the DofD had to have been fairly recent.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120117/ARTICLES/120119515?p=all&tc=pgall

.....Then-Lt. Joe Palla, now chief of the Santa Rosa Junior College's police department, said at the time that the body appeared to be that of a white, slender and slightly built adult female."

The woman had been wearing denim pants and on one foot wore a black sock and a soft-soled shoe, according to the reports. Police said the body may have been deposited upstream and dislodged by recent rains."

This is all the info that i have, sorry.

Sounds like Cheryl Lynn Carter
carter_cheryl.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/carter_cheryl.html

... and BTW, like Naso's other victims, her first and last name start with the same letter.

On Jan. 24, 1983, a gardener found a headless and partly decomposed body of an adult woman in Foss Creek behind Simi Winery
Her head was found later.

the body appeared to be that of a white, slender and slightly built adult female.
To his credit, the Healdsburg Chief of Police seems very interested in identifying Jane Doe. It's good to know that at least a DNA sample was entered into CODIS when the autopsy was performed last year. Now the trick is to get the information into a public searchable database. From the article I gather the CDOJ is handling that end of things.

Her DNA was uploaded into state and national databases that collect samples from people arrested on suspicion of felony crimes and possibly other databases, Burke said. Investigators hope a DNA sample from one of her relatives might be in the system and come up as a partial match, Burke said.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120117/ARTICLES/120119515?p=all&tc=pgall

Young said the publicity resulted in at least one lead. A woman from out of state contacted police and said her sister went missing at roughly the same time.

However, Young said this week that Healdsburg detectives working with forensics concluded that the woman's sister "was not a match," Young said. "The timeline was off."

Is That you, Suzanne? :)

It's strange that they mention only one possible. I wonder if Cheryl Carter (mentioned above) is even on their radar.

I'll call the detective up Monday, just to be sure. I just tried a few minutes ago, and he's gone for the weekend.

I am trying to turn up the heat, with a few well placed comments publicly placed on appropriate sites, to get this gal, and the unid' "Santa Rosa Hitchhiker" seventh victim entered into Namus/Doe.

I personally submitted the info on the Healdsburg Jane Doe, recently to the Doe Network. I hope against hope they enter her info. I do not believe that I have enough info on SR Jane Doe to get her entered.

I mentioned Cheryl Lynn Carter, and was treated like I am a moron. Oh, ya, ya, we looked at her. This is AFTER i was informed that NO ONE in the dept was familiar with Namus. As there are differing submissions on Doe/Namus, if they are unfamiliar with one database, they should not be rude to the volunteers, who are trying to assist.

It is bad enough that they failed to enter the info, for public purview.
Whats even more negligent, as far as I am concerned, is that NO ID'ing info has ever been presented to the public. I had to call twice, and the Invest. Officer, had to ask PERMISSION from the Chief to give me a description of Jane!

Have they stated publicly approx when the DOD is? I don't recall seeing it. I know that she was partially decomposed. She was found in the winter, Here that is rainy season. I checked the weather for Santa Rosa, for the week prior to her discovery. (No hx for Heald, that year) and we had over ONE INCH of rain b/w Jan 17-23. Our microclimates here, cause Heald to typically get more rain than SR. This rainy season, Heald has more than 3 in" over SR. Based on this, she could not have been there for very long, if she were only partially decomposed.

Carl, Nick Castenada is the cop that was assigned to the case, when I called
Good luck..... And, ask why they haven't added her to Namus, after repeated requests, Carl. :banghead:
Maureen Russell Baca also fits the J D.

I guess that's me they are talking about.I did talk with them.I believe they told me this Jane Doe was found before my sister came up missing.He said several months before.I can't believe I would be the only lead though.That's sad.

I got a call from Det. Nick Castaneda. He was very polite, and said that they had ruled out Cheryl Carter twice in the past based on dental records. But after receiving my message he looked again and saw other details (which he didn't specify) that have convinced him that he should take a third look.

He says that they don't have a DNA profile yet for Cheryl. But he is going to take advantage of other technologies that they haven't yet utilized.

DoeNet just created a casefile for this Jane Doe
She still is not listed in NamUs.

The Doe Network
Case 961UFCA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/961ufca.html

No Image Available

Unidentified Female
Date of Discovery: January 24, 1983
Location of Discovery: Healdsburg, Sonoma County, California
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Partial Decomposed - the vicitm's head was detached but found later
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Date of Birth: 1944-1954
Estimated Age: 29-39
Race: Unknown
Height: 5'1 to 5'7
Weight: 100-140 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Available
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue Jeans, Soft Soled Shoes, and Black socks

Jewelry: Unknown

Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Case History

On Jan. 24, 1983, a gardener found a headless and partly decomposed body of an adult woman in Foss Creek behind Simi Winery, according to Press Democrat archives. Investigators later found a head during a search of the area. Then-Lt. Joe Palla, now chief of the Santa Rosa Junior College's police department, said at the time that the body appeared to be that of a white, slender and slightly built adult female. The woman had been wearing denim pants and on one foot wore a black sock and a soft-soled shoe, according to the reports. Police said the body may have been deposited upstream and dislodged by recent rains.

There is a new NamUs UP casefile for this Jane Doe, along with a facial reconstruction.

e62f1e33-9647-4572-95bd-fe8f6c133701.jpg

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11808

I got a call from Det. Nick Castaneda. He was very polite, and said that they had ruled out Cheryl Carter twice in the past based on dental records. But after receiving my message he looked again and saw other details (which he didn't specify) that have convinced him that he should take a third look.

I bet it was the glasses that caused Castaneda to take a second look. They are very similar, but not quite identical.

C10770_glasses_DBF_01_24_83.jpg
carter_cheryl.jpg

Attachments

• img_61380.jpg
    img_61380.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 10.02.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 10.02.37 PM.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 53
Thoughts on Mercedes Lodge? https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/33025/
The height is about 3" off and the timing discrepancy is quite long but the one leg being shorter than the other thing has to be pretty rare...

At 150 lbs and 4' 11" she would have had a BMI of around 30.2, so just into the obese category.
At 140 lbs and 5' 2", she would have had a BMI of around 25.6, so just into the overweight category.

From that photograph Mercedes looks to be a lot more than 150 lbs, even allowing for her small stature. She has a hefty look that suggests to me a BMI of at least 35, probably over 40.

However if this is her, she had 9 years between being last seen and being found dead in which she could well have lost or indeed put on a lot of weight.

At 150 lbs and 4' 11" she would have had a BMI of around 30.2, so just into the obese category.
At 140 lbs and 5' 2", she would have had a BMI of around 25.6, so just into the overweight category.

From that photograph Mercedes looks to be a lot more than 150 lbs, even allowing for her small stature. She has a hefty look that suggests to me a BMI of at least 35, probably over 40.

However if this is her, she had 9 years between being last seen and being found dead in which she could well have lost or indeed put on a lot of weight.

I thought the same thing about the weight and the photo but weight can fluctuate and it could be an old picture from far before she went missing. I submitted to The Doe Network, just in case.

Mary Bell at The Doe Network said:
"I don't show any comparison of these having been done so I will have our panel look at it. If is proven to be a positive match, I will contact you further."

I re-read the NAMUS listing and I think it has been revised since the original WS thread creation. I don't remember the release of the underwear size (42) or the Philadelphia food stamps found with her. And I no longer see a reference to the leg length difference (maybe that's just me- I need coffee). Also the age seems moved back to the 30-50 year range instead of 29-39 yrs. I would love to see this woman identified.

Have somebody ever submitted Ann Linda Riffin and Andrea Jean Coyle? Are there any ruleouts in Namus?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back