1151 users online (218 members and 933 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Electronic cigarette explodes, badly injures user

Vietnam veteran suffers horrific burns as electronic cigarette EXPLODES inside his mouth and blows out all of his teeth (Daily Mail)
    A Vietnam veteran was left with horrific injuries after an electronic cigarette blew up in his mouth, knocking out all his teeth and part of his tongue.

Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, Florida, screamed as the device exploded and debris melted everything it touched as it flew around a room at home.
    ---
    ‘Whenever the battery ignited it was basically like him holding a bottle rocket in his mouth,’ Chief Butch Parker told WEAR.
    ---
    The explosion also set his study on fire and Mr Holloway, who is now being treated in a burns clinic, was left with blood all over his face.

Firemen said this was the first time they've ever heard of an electronic cigarette blowing up, but they haven’t yet determined the brand.
    ---
    more at link above

That poor man! What kind of batteries are in those things? Like a watch battery, or a rechargeable thing? Lordy.

Well, guess my e cigs are going in the garbage. Those things do get really hot when in use.

i'm going to still use mine. but i will pay attention to finding out what brand it was and if there are any more reported.
    we need to encourage harder sentencing on those that are harming our children. our children are worth it!!

stop the circus!! these children as all children deserve to be found and justice brought forth for what has happened to them!!

I have read in several reports that the exploding cig in this case looked to be a "mod," and that the investigators believe he had modified the device himself, improperly.

Eve

The scoop on the e-cig boards is that none of this has been verified. It's been news for a while but the injured party himself has not typed, called, or spoken with anyone. The scoop is it was a Prodigy V3 (tube mod) with 2 stacked t-energy batteries, perhaps a lr or 1.5 carto. No one knows for sure as it has all been posted by a friend of a friend kind of thing. There is some suspicion that someone is angry with a vendor and retaliating.

Most e-cigs are safe if you use them properly. Most batteries are safe if you buy higher quality (AW), and know the c ratings. Those t-energies are out. Never try to vape at 6v (or any voltage above 3.7) with a lr carto or atty. Also, check to make your sure your tube mod has the safety features required. E-cigs like ego, joye 510, etc... do not fall into the stacking battery category and are an entirely different beast, nothing to do with the exploding scenario.

Make sure you meter your batteries before and after charging. Let batteries sit about 24 hours after charging if stacking, so have a few pairs ready and charged. If the wrapper on the battery is torn, or anything warped, toss it. Meter your atty's or cartos to be sure they are the ohms you think they are. Inspect your mod frequently.

If you vape, you can find all the guidelines for mods, batteries, and such on the e-cig boards.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Wow, 21merc7! I'm glad I quit smoking.

E-cigarettes sound more complicated than my car.

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Wow, 21merc7! I'm glad I quit smoking.

E-cigarettes sound more complicated than my car.
    I want to quit. I have used an ecig on long trips when I could not smoke in the truck. I don't like them at all.
    Smoking is the nastiest habit imaginable.

Did you quit cold turkey?
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    OMG. I am from Niceville! My parents still live there...I'll have to see if they know him. Poor man!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    I want to quit. I have used an ecig on long trips when I could not smoke in the truck. I don't like them at all.
    Smoking is the nastiest habit imaginable.

Did you quit cold turkey?
    I asked my shrink (now be nice, K--LOL), hoping he would tell me there is a magic pill that makes quitting easy. But he said there is no such thing (and he's something of a pharmaceutical expert).

His advice was to use the patches, but double the time it says on the box so that you have plenty of time to get over the habits associated with smoking before you give up the nicotine entirely. IIRC that brings the total "patch time" to 4 or 5 months.

I followed his advice and it wasn't so bad. But I should admit I was motivated by having to get shunts for arterial blockages; after that, it would have been humiliating to be seen smoking.

I had quite twice before, cold turkey, for a year or so, so I'm well aware how difficult it is. I hope you find the solution that is best for you, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    Well, guess my e cigs are going in the garbage. Those things do get really hot when in use.
    If it's getting hot, it is time for a new battery. No matter the type.

Batteries, are batteries, and if hot, time to toss.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Quote Originally Posted by eve View Post
    I have read in several reports that the exploding cig in this case looked to be a "mod," and that the investigators believe he had modified the device himself, improperly.

Eve
    Must have missed this, but very likely. I have noticed the circulating stories all have some different details.

Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    Must have missed this, but very likely. I have noticed the circulating stories all have some different details.
    Why would anyone modify their e-cig? Do you know?

(Or is this the sort of disinformation insurance companies are paid to disseminate?)

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    I asked my shrink (now be nice, K--LOL), hoping he would tell me there is a magic pill that makes quitting easy. But he said there is no such thing (and he's something of a pharmaceutical expert).

His advice was to use the patches, but double the time it says on the box so that you have plenty of time to get over the habits associated with smoking before you give up the nicotine entirely. IIRC that brings the total "patch time" to 4 or 5 months.

I followed his advice and it wasn't so bad. But I should admit I was motivated by having to get shunts for arterial blockages; after that, it would have been humiliating to be seen smoking.

I had quite twice before, cold turkey, for a year or so, so I'm well aware how difficult it is. I hope you find the solution that is best for you, my friend.
    I would never pick on you for having a shrink!!!

I think I need to find me one to be quite honest.

I have quit cold turkey, on patches, and through hypnosis. I'm still a smoker.

Every time I went back to smoking, it was after a few glasses of wine.

I don't drink often, but I LOVE wine on occasion.

Perhaps I should give up wine,
    THEN quit smoking.

Sounds kinda boring. But I know I have to quit smoking for my health.

The double time on the patch idea sounds like a good one.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Why would anyone modify their e-cig? Do you know?

(Or is this the sort of disinformation insurance companies are paid to disseminate?)
    I don't think insurance companies can sue an ecig vendor, especially if you used it improperly or made modifications to it. Or even if you put the batteries in wrong, or the wrong kind. I'm certain someone will try to sue, but I don't know how it would work out. I do hope that the man is okay if it is a true story though. It sounds horrible!

People are always changing their mods for any number of reasons, more vapor, bigger battery, extra batteries, different things on top, the list is endless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast