Electronic cigarette explodes, badly injures user

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Vietnam veteran suffers horrific burns as electronic cigarette EXPLODES inside his mouth and blows out all of his teeth (Daily Mail)
A Vietnam veteran was left with horrific injuries after an electronic cigarette blew up in his mouth, knocking out all his teeth and part of his tongue.

Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, Florida, screamed as the device exploded and debris melted everything it touched as it flew around a room at home.
---
‘Whenever the battery ignited it was basically like him holding a bottle rocket in his mouth,’ Chief Butch Parker told WEAR.
---
The explosion also set his study on fire and Mr Holloway, who is now being treated in a burns clinic, was left with blood all over his face.

Firemen said this was the first time they've ever heard of an electronic cigarette blowing up, but they haven’t yet determined the brand.
---
more at link above

:eek:

That poor man! What kind of batteries are in those things? Like a watch battery, or a rechargeable thing? Lordy.

Well, guess my e cigs are going in the garbage. Those things do get really hot when in use.

i'm going to still use mine. but i will pay attention to finding out what brand it was and if there are any more reported.

I have read in several reports that the exploding cig in this case looked to be a "mod," and that the investigators believe he had modified the device himself, improperly.

Eve

The scoop on the e-cig boards is that none of this has been verified. It's been news for a while but the injured party himself has not typed, called, or spoken with anyone. The scoop is it was a Prodigy V3 (tube mod) with 2 stacked t-energy batteries, perhaps a lr or 1.5 carto. No one knows for sure as it has all been posted by a friend of a friend kind of thing. There is some suspicion that someone is angry with a vendor and retaliating.

Most e-cigs are safe if you use them properly. Most batteries are safe if you buy higher quality (AW), and know the c ratings. Those t-energies are out. Never try to vape at 6v (or any voltage above 3.7) with a lr carto or atty. Also, check to make your sure your tube mod has the safety features required. E-cigs like ego, joye 510, etc... do not fall into the stacking battery category and are an entirely different beast, nothing to do with the exploding scenario.

Make sure you meter your batteries before and after charging. Let batteries sit about 24 hours after charging if stacking, so have a few pairs ready and charged. If the wrapper on the battery is torn, or anything warped, toss it. Meter your atty's or cartos to be sure they are the ohms you think they are. Inspect your mod frequently.

If you vape, you can find all the guidelines for mods, batteries, and such on the e-cig boards.

Wow, 21merc7! I'm glad I quit smoking.

E-cigarettes sound more complicated than my car.

Wow, 21merc7! I'm glad I quit smoking.

E-cigarettes sound more complicated than my car.

I want to quit. I have used an ecig on long trips when I could not smoke in the truck. I don't like them at all.
Smoking is the nastiest habit imaginable.

Did you quit cold turkey?

OMG. I am from Niceville! My parents still live there...I'll have to see if they know him. Poor man!

I want to quit. I have used an ecig on long trips when I could not smoke in the truck. I don't like them at all.
Smoking is the nastiest habit imaginable.

Did you quit cold turkey?

I asked my shrink (now be nice, K--LOL), hoping he would tell me there is a magic pill that makes quitting easy. But he said there is no such thing (and he's something of a pharmaceutical expert).

His advice was to use the patches, but double the time it says on the box so that you have plenty of time to get over the habits associated with smoking before you give up the nicotine entirely. IIRC that brings the total "patch time" to 4 or 5 months.

I followed his advice and it wasn't so bad. But I should admit I was motivated by having to get shunts for arterial blockages; after that, it would have been humiliating to be seen smoking.

I had quite twice before, cold turkey, for a year or so, so I'm well aware how difficult it is. I hope you find the solution that is best for you, my friend.

Well, guess my e cigs are going in the garbage. Those things do get really hot when in use.

If it's getting hot, it is time for a new battery. No matter the type.

Batteries, are batteries, and if hot, time to toss.

I have read in several reports that the exploding cig in this case looked to be a "mod," and that the investigators believe he had modified the device himself, improperly.

Eve

Must have missed this, but very likely. I have noticed the circulating stories all have some different details.

Must have missed this, but very likely. I have noticed the circulating stories all have some different details.

Why would anyone modify their e-cig? Do you know?

(Or is this the sort of disinformation insurance companies are paid to disseminate?)

I asked my shrink (now be nice, K--LOL), hoping he would tell me there is a magic pill that makes quitting easy. But he said there is no such thing (and he's something of a pharmaceutical expert).

His advice was to use the patches, but double the time it says on the box so that you have plenty of time to get over the habits associated with smoking before you give up the nicotine entirely. IIRC that brings the total "patch time" to 4 or 5 months.

I followed his advice and it wasn't so bad. But I should admit I was motivated by having to get shunts for arterial blockages; after that, it would have been humiliating to be seen smoking.

I had quite twice before, cold turkey, for a year or so, so I'm well aware how difficult it is. I hope you find the solution that is best for you, my friend.

I would never pick on you for having a shrink!!!
:angel:

I think I need to find me one to be quite honest.

I have quit cold turkey, on patches, and through hypnosis. I'm still a smoker.

:waitasec:

Every time I went back to smoking, it was after a few glasses of wine.

I don't drink often, but I LOVE wine on occasion.

Perhaps I should give up wine,
THEN quit smoking.

Sounds kinda boring. But I know I have to quit smoking for my health.

The double time on the patch idea sounds like a good one.

Why would anyone modify their e-cig? Do you know?

(Or is this the sort of disinformation insurance companies are paid to disseminate?)

I don't think insurance companies can sue an ecig vendor, especially if you used it improperly or made modifications to it. Or even if you put the batteries in wrong, or the wrong kind. I'm certain someone will try to sue, but I don't know how it would work out. I do hope that the man is okay if it is a true story though. It sounds horrible!

People are always changing their mods for any number of reasons, more vapor, bigger battery, extra batteries, different things on top, the list is endless.

I would never pick on you for having a shrink!!!
:angel:

I think I need to find me one to be quite honest.

I have quit cold turkey, on patches, and through hypnosis. I'm still a smoker.

:waitasec:

Every time I went back to smoking, it was after a few glasses of wine.

I don't drink often, but I LOVE wine on occasion.

Perhaps I should give up wine,
THEN quit smoking.

Sounds kinda boring. But I know I have to quit smoking for my health.

The double time on the patch idea sounds like a good one.

If wine is your "trigger", then, yes, you may have to give that up, too, at least for awhile. It sucks, I know.

(I knew you wouldn't mock my seeing a shrink. I was totally kidding. I just wish I could report that seeing a shrink fixed everything. But it appears there's no magic cure for ANYthing!)

Also, I highly recommend increased exercise when you quit smoking. It helps fill the time and without it, the weight gain is appalling.

I don't think insurance companies can sue an ecig vendor, especially if you used it improperly or made modifications to it. Or even if you put the batteries in wrong, or the wrong kind. I'm certain someone will try to sue, but I don't know how it would work out. I do hope that the man is okay if it is a true story though. It sounds horrible!

People are always changing their mods for any number of reasons, more vapor, bigger battery, extra batteries, different things on top, the list is endless.

What does "different things on top" mean, if you don't mind my asking? I'm really not familiar with the devices. (Obviously, I'm not mechanically inclined: I never modify anything.)

What I meant about insurance companies (and this would also apply to the manufacturer itself) was that releasing a story that the victim "modified the device" would be great spin control and a way to deflect the focus back to the user.

Hell, my sister's year-old mini-Cooper fell apart to the tune of some $7K in repairs and the maker declared her warranty null and void because she was slightly late for her 3,000 mile check up. I think it's common practice for most companies trying to avoid liability.

People, people! Let's not do anything rash! :eek:

I kid. I also quit smoking once Chicago went outside only some years back. Cold turkey was much easier than I anticipated. But you will pry the wine from my cold, dead hands. :D

Please note I only meant for a while. I do drink less wine and coffee now that I don't smoke while drinking. But I haven't given up either beverage permanently.

The scoop on the e-cig boards is that none of this has been verified. It's been news for a while but the injured party himself has not typed, called, or spoken with anyone. The scoop is it was a Prodigy V3 (tube mod) with 2 stacked t-energy batteries, perhaps a lr or 1.5 carto. No one knows for sure as it has all been posted by a friend of a friend kind of thing. There is some suspicion that someone is angry with a vendor and retaliating.

Most e-cigs are safe if you use them properly. Most batteries are safe if you buy higher quality (AW), and know the c ratings. Those t-energies are out. Never try to vape at 6v (or any voltage above 3.7) with a lr carto or atty. Also, check to make your sure your tube mod has the safety features required. E-cigs like ego, joye 510, etc... do not fall into the stacking battery category and are an entirely different beast, nothing to do with the exploding scenario.

Make sure you meter your batteries before and after charging. Let batteries sit about 24 hours after charging if stacking, so have a few pairs ready and charged. If the wrapper on the battery is torn, or anything warped, toss it. Meter your atty's or cartos to be sure they are the ohms you think they are. Inspect your mod frequently.

If you vape, you can find all the guidelines for mods, batteries, and such on the e-cig boards.

Thanks 21merc, it's good info your putting out from what I'm reading too. I'm not sure if it's a mod but it sounds like it. Good info...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back