UK - Ancient Stone Age monument found; scuttles multi-million pound windfarm

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
The news from Wales.

Multi-million pound windfarm set to be scrapped after walker finds 'line of ancient stones' (Daily Mail)
A multi-million pound windfarm looks set to be scrapped after an ancient Stone Age monument was spotted on the site using Google Earth.

Workers had already begun installing 15 wind turbines on the mountain top in Wales when a walker stumbled upon a row of stones on the site and realised they were of historical interest.

Archaeologists then plotted the line of stones on Google Earth and decided the relics must be around 3,500 years old.
---
One expert says the 500-metre long monument is 'almost as important as Stonehenge' and could be part of an ancient site of worship.
---
Experts had supposedly already searched Mynydd Y Betws for archaeological relics ahead of the building work, so the Trust is now calling for a survey of the whole mountain.
---
much more, with pictures and a sidebar on stone alignments, at link above

This is incredible! My hubby is Welsh, his grandfather, coming to Ellis Island and eventually to Oklahoma to work in the coal mines. When we were dating they always talked in Welch and very fast and I could never understand them! lol

We have long wanted to visit Wales.

Thanks, wfgodot for all the UK/Welch threads!

This is incredible! My hubby is Welsh, his grandfather, coming to Ellis Island and eventually to Oklahoma to work in the coal mines. When we were dating they always talked in Welch and very fast and I could never understand them! lol

We have long wanted to visit Wales.

Thanks, wfgodot for all the UK/Welch threads!

Lots of Welsh blood on both sides of my family (my mother was a Jones). At least in recent history I know of no mining, but my own build - long back, short legs, perfect for digging coal out of the face of a pit thousands of feet below ground - probably means I was long ago bred for it.

Lots of Welsh blood on both sides of my family (my mother was a Jones). At least in recent history I know of no mining, but my own build - long back, short legs, perfect for digging coal out of the face of a pit thousands of feet below ground - probably means I was long ago bred for it.

His name was Davies but he changed it to Davis so he would "fit in" in America

He was trapped in a coal mine explosion sometime in the 30's and later died of black lung disease.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back