Wallenda first to chance crossing Niagra Falls via tightrope in 100+ years

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
"Look out below!" (Sorry, had to start out that way.)

Tightrope walker to attempt first crossing of Niagara Falls
in more than a century (and without a safety net)
(Daily Mail)
---
Nik Wallenda, 33, the seventh generation of the Flying Wallenda family of circus performers, had already secured support from the American side and just needed to get Canada's permission to try the incredible feat.

On Wednesday he attended a meeting of the board of Canada’s Niagara Parks Commission which voted unanimously to allow him to go ahead, reversing an earlier decision.
---
Wallenda, who has been tightrope-walking since he was two-years-old, hopes to tackle the gorge this summer and says he will be the first person ever to cross directly over the falls.
---
He will train on a full-scale high-wire rig on an airport runway in Pittsburgh, with simulated mist.

He said: 'I’ve done walks farther and higher but this will be the most iconic.'
---
more at link above

Daredevils of Niagra Falls (individual histories at niagrafrontier.com)

Makes me queasy just thinking about it.

Just looking over the reports on the "Daredevils" link above of tourist-stunt "crossings," the first being in 1827 when a derelict schooner decorated like a pirate ship, with a buffalo, two small bears, two raccoon, a dog, and a goose aboard, was towed above the Falls, eventually crashing at their base. The bears escaped into the rapids before the plummet and the goose also survived.

Just looking over the reports on the "Daredevils" link above of tourist-stunt "crossings," the first being in 1827 when a derelict schooner decorated like a pirate ship, with a buffalo, two small bears, two raccoon, a dog, and a goose aboard, was towed above the Falls, eventually crashing at their base. The bears escaped into the rapids before the plummet and the goose also survived.

All I can say is why?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back