School Tosses Healthy Lunch Mom Packed and Replaces it with Chicken Nuggets

gitana1

Verified Attorney
Reaction score
This is outrageous. I would be incensed. I would never want my child to eat chemical and hormone-filled, previously frozen chicken nuggets which are nothing but nasty chicken scraps and grizzle ground up after the good parts are used for something else.

They tossed the almost perfectly healthy lunch the child's mom packed, a turkey and cheese sandwich, apple juice, a banana and potato chips, forced the kid to eat the school nugget lunch and then charged the mother for it! Are you kidding me?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/1...-lunch-replaced-with-nuggets/?intcmp=obinsite

Here's a more complete article:http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/homemade-lunch-replaced-with-cafeteria-nuggets.html
The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs - including in-home day care centers - to meet USDA guidelines. That means lunches must consist of one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.

When home-packed lunches do not include all of the required items, child care providers must supplement them with the missing ones.

The girl's mother - who said she wishes to remain anonymous to protect her daughter from retaliation - said she received a note from the school stating that students who did not bring a "healthy lunch" would be offered the missing portions, which could result in a fee from the cafeteria, in her case $1.25.

The girl's grandmother, who sometimes helps pack her lunch, told Carolina Journal that she is a petite, picky 4-year-old who eats white whole wheat bread and is not big on vegetables.

When the girl came home with her lunch untouched, her mother wanted to know what she ate instead. Three chicken nuggets, the girl answered. Everything else on her cafeteria tray went to waste.

"She came home with her whole sandwich I had packed, because she chose to eat the nuggets on the lunch tray, because they put it in front of her," her mother said. "You're telling a 4-year-old. 'oh. your lunch isn't right,' and she's thinking there's something wrong with her food."

While the mother and grandmother thought the potato chips and lack of vegetable were what disqualified the lunch, a spokeswoman for the Division of Child Development said that should not have been a problem.

"With a turkey sandwich, that covers your protein, your grain, and if it had cheese on it, that's the dairy," said Jani Kozlowski, the fiscal and statutory policy manager for the division. "It sounds like the lunch itself would've met all of the standard." The lunch has to include a fruit or vegetable, but not both, she said.
The article goes on to explain that if the parents pack nothing but a twinkie and a coke, the school has to supplement the lunch. Okay, that would make sense, but THIS does not. First of all, it would make more sense if school lunches were made up of more than pig slop and unhealthy garbage like chicken nuggets. Second, the kid's lunch seemed fine. Whole wheat bread, turkey, cheese, a banana and apple juice? What's wrong with that?

Who are these stupid bureaucrats who NEVER seem to get anything right? It's like they are so mediocre, so unintelligent that they have to be seen making any kind of decision so their ineptitude doesn't reveal itself. Yet, it always does. I wonder why these types never accidentally make the right decision. It's always the wrong one.

There must have been a child at that school that day who had either a really poor lunch with nothing but junk, or no lunch at all. But they pick on this kid? Whose mom actually seems to give a darn?

That "official" should be fired.

And if I were mom, there would be no $1.25 paid to anyone. But someone might get a couple chicken nuggets shoved up their nose.

When I was a kid I would had much rather eaten a turkey and cheese sandwich, apple juice, a banana and potato chips than Chicken Nuggets.

The school is out of order to do this, what if the child had allergies?

The government is mandating what the kids must bring for lunch or rather what their parents must pack for them. It was because his lunch didn't have a vegetable, or did it? Potato chips are a vegetable. It's none of their business. The child didn't like veggies and would have thrown out anything she would've put in, so his mom prempted wasting food she knew he wouldn't eat. He ended up not eating his lunch or most of what they gave him. How healthy is that? They could have just given him a carrot to throw away.

Teacher Suspended Over Chicken Nugget Incident

“We are concerned for Ms. Maynor [the teacher] and want her back in the classroom, as she was only following guidelines,” the mother wrote in an email to her state representative, Republican G.L. Pridgen of Robeson County. “It’s the government that needs to be reprimanded and changed. Teachers should not be put in a situation to overrule the parent’s lunch of choice.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back