CN - Baby mauled to death by husky used in family sled business

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
'Our worst nightmare': Newborn baby mauled to death by husky used in family dog sled business (Daily Mail)
A newborn baby boy has been mauled to death by a husky that was part of the family dogsled business.

The child was fatally injured at his home where he lived with parents Rob and Rhonda Fradette in an attack that has been dubbed ‘all our worst nightmare’.
---
They run a dogsled business from their suburban home in Airdrie, Alberta in Canada and keep four Siberian huskies used by sledders and in dog races.
---
No charges will be brought against them and police have said it was a ‘tragic accident’.
---
Malicious attack then?
Dawn Donald, who runs Mad Dogs & Englishmen Expeditions in Exshaw, Alberta, told the Calgary Herald: ‘I know them and I know their dogs and this is very surprising.

‘Something like this can happen in a split second and it’s all our worst nightmare. It could happen to anyone with dogs, not just huskies.

‘It could have been a case of the animal showing nurturing instincts, or trying to move the baby.

‘It might not have been a malicious attack at all.’
---
more, with pictures, at link above

Just like the Pittsburgh incident..............
except these husky's look well and nourished.
The PA case the husky had a broken leg and IMO, looked skinny.

A husky?

That's like...unheard of. Husky's don't do that.

so very sad for this family.

from the linked article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eath-husky-used-family-dog-sled-business.html

Breeders said they were stunned that a husky could have carried out the attack as they are so ‘family friendly’.

‘Something like this can happen in a split second and it’s all our worst nightmare. It could happen to anyone with dogs, not just huskies.

‘It could have been a case of the animal showing nurturing instincts, or trying to move the baby.

‘It might not have been a malicious attack at all.’
<snipped>

In my lifetime experience (and I've only raised huskies & german shepherds) this is unheard of - for this breed.

I wonder what went wrong.

Again, so very sad.

Just like the Pittsburgh incident..............
except these husky's look well and nourished.
The PA case the husky had a broken leg and IMO, looked skinny.

passion, I'd not heard of that incident.

I looked it up.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Newborn babies left alone with the family dog. Very sad. :no:

People should know better, but one can see how they might trust the family dog.

"Whenever a newborn comes into the home, they are unfamiliar to the family dog. This is the biggest risk factor. This is heartbreaking, there's no way around it," Shryock told the paper. "But it is preventable."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/17/dog-kills-baby-husky-pittsburgh_n_1285099.html

There are quite a few cases where husky killed a baby (I mean, we are discussing a couple of the recent cases right now). Huskies should never be left alone with babies.

I'm a German Shepard/Husky mix person. I can't imagine what happened here, unless the dogs were romping and playing and the infant was included in that. ( :eek: )

I wish more detail was given on the type of injury this wee one suffered... this is just mind boggling. My heart goes out to these folks. :cry:

There are quite a few cases where husky killed a baby (I mean, we are discussing a couple of the recent cases right now). Huskies should never be left alone with babies.

So very sad. :(

I almost agree with your opinion, I however would say my opinion is No dog should ever be left alone with babies or children under the age of 12.

I adore huskies, but I have seen them high on the list of bites by breed. The studies generally have flaws ime, and are based on press reports, or opinions of breed, and many are mixed and can't be used to point at a specific breed. Same goes for many are not reported at all, especially with less damage or from smaller dogs imo. Or bites by canines on the job, dogs guarding properties and biting intruders and what have you. Also what was the situation? Intact animals can be a big risk for attacks, sick or injured dogs, cornered dogs, chained dogs, dogs with pups, roaming dogs or when in packs, the list goes on. So many factors can be at play.

I recall a really tragic case where a newborn was brought home from hospital and in a car seat iirc, and crying, and the family dog went and picked the baby up and brought her to her parents, and the act of picking the baby up caused the babies death :(

"Husky" can often include Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, Samoyeds, northern breeds, wolf hybrid, sled dogs, mixes and are sometimes referred to as husky type imo. The same way Pits get grouped imo. Not usually the most helpful stats. And I think a lot of people look at Pits, Huskies, Sheps, Rotties and Dobes, but it's important to know Labs, Poms, Cockers and Westies have also been on the lists iirc.

My prayers for the baby and the family. :(

I find dog behavior facinating. I used to rehabilitate GSD's in years gone by, when they where tooo popular, as the Pits and guard breeds are now.
Breed types can be generalized, herders, sight hounds, guard etc
Husky types and sight hounds are the most pack type dogs, - a newcomer to the group must made important by the humans.
With guard breeds-they are usually very loyal to one person, all outsiders are a threat including babies.
Herding dogs attack the arms- legs - which is why they are usefull for police work etc.
Guard breeds would not be good for police work, they go for the head/kneck.
When i had a child i had a 1yr GSD he was sweet and gentle with the babe but i did'nt have time for the GSD/mental exercise needs.
So i got a sighthound puppy (whippet)but because she was a pack dog it started as a very competive relationship with my 4 yr old child. I had gone with my child to visit some whippet kennels and was impressed by their gentleness as adult dogs.. So i would'nt trust a whippet or husky(pack breed) as much as i would trust a GSD, with a baby.
I am sure this lose of child, since they are very dog orientided, hurts them in many ways.
An accident as i believe,(IMO) as most young child loss to dog, stupid maybe, i would expect this will hurt them so much more, cause they are dog people.
My bro's girlfriend with babe moved in we had a Gsd and a Doberman, the dobi growled at the babe , i was suprised, never any agression from her. she was rehomed quickly and with info of her dislike of young ones.
My whippets worked of leash obediance, something that is said sighthounds are not capable of. But it did not stop my whippet leaping out of the window of moving vehicle to chase a bear she saw.
Dogs are dogs, they should not be given human expectations, some are wonderful, some are nutters or abused have baggage.

I personally wouldn't leave a teacup yorkie, poodle, etc...alone with my baby. I wouldn't even leave a NEWBORN pup. I wouldn't leave A CAT.....
Maybe I am over-reacting, but infants and small kids and animals don't mix.
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back