WA - Two dead, up to 8 missing, in avalanche NE of Seattle

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
2 dead, up to 8 missing in Wash. avalanche (AP)
SEATTLE (AP) -- Authorities say two people are reported dead and as many as eight more are missing after an avalanche near a Washington state ski resort.

King County sheriff's Sgt. Cindi West says her office began receiving word about the avalanche near Stevens Pass, in the Cascade Mountains northeast of Seattle, just after noon Sunday.

West says rescue crews are in route.
---

Sadly one more didn't make it .... RIP ... Everyone else is accounted for....

I just wish that everyone would listen to avalanche warnings... sigh....

3 killed in Cascades avalanche; snowboarder dies at Alpental: http://bit.ly/wn7VFB

It's been a deadly winter in Washington's mountains. Four people disappeared in vicious storms while camping and climbing on Mount Rainier last month. The four remain missing, and authorities have said they're hoping to find their bodies when the snow melts this summer.

Across the West, there had been 13 avalanche deaths this season as of Feb. 16, according to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center, which tracks avalanche deaths in the U.S.

Experts have said the risk of additional slides could remain high all season. They attribute the dangers in part to a weak base layer of snow caused by a dry winter.
3 dead in Washington avalanche (AP/L.A. Times)

Hi Wfgodot, Micci Stella and Ms Modstress SWMNBN, this is so sad.
God Bless all of their families and I too pray for the 8 still missing.

When I heard this on the news tonight I thought how awful to be in the way of an avalanche, helpless to it's speed to get out of its way.

ETA: The 8 are OK and were able to get help. From the link above: " . . Eight other skiers also were caught up in the avalanche, and were initially reported as missing. But they were able to free themselves and call for help, Larson said".

So sad... Specially for their families...

Even though everyone going of slope, even well prepared, knows the risk...

I am just surprised that they went with avalanche warning.... Lord please give the family and friends strength to get thru all that...

Blessings and freedom to all

Micci

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304