GUILTY OR - Ashley Long, 14, dies inhaling helium at Medford party, 18 Feb 2012

Missizzy

Reaction score
So tragic. So unnecessary.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120220/NEWS/202200317

Medford [OR] teen dies after hits of helium gas
February 20, 2012

"A Medford [OR] teenager died Saturday night after drinking and inhaling large amounts of helium, authorities said. Ashley Long, 14, of Eagle Point, was drinking alcohol at an apartment in the 3100 block of Alameda Street in Medford when she inhaled helium from a compressed canister and collapsed, police said." Medford police responded to the 9-1-1 call around 11 p.m., where medical personnel treated Long and transported her to the hospital. Shortly after arrival, however, she was pronounced dead...."

and

"....Investigators learned that the individuals had been smoking marijuana and drinking, and inhaling helium gas from a tank. Police believe Long collapsed seconds after inhaling helium from the canister...."

and

"...[Katherine] McAloon [27] was arrested on seven counts of furnishing alcohol to a minor and two counts of delivering marijuana to a minor. She was lodged in the Jackson County Jail on $38,000 bail....

More at link

Sad.

Did the adult actually furnish the drugs and alcohol, or were the kids sneaking it at her home? As far as I know, it doesn't make much difference in the eyes of the law, but it may explain why there's no manslaughter charge.

I didn't know that about helium-- I've never had more than a few balloons full around at any given time, but good to know that those tanks need to be supervised.

It sounds to me as if the adult furnished the alcohol and pot and thus, that's why she was arrested. However, the helium overdose was thought to be "just for fun" and not specifically to get high. A horrible accident.

Grieving family speaks out. They want McAloon held responsible for their daughter's death. McAloon is the SIL of one of Ashley's friends. She picked the girls up for the slumber party which was just two blocks away from Ashley's house. They were to watch movies and eat popcorn.

http://www.kobi5.com/news/local-news/item/14-year-old-s-family-speaks-out.html

Talk about your absolute worse ever nightmare. Prayers for this family. I can't even begin to fathom that pain.

From March 2013:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...in-helium-death-of-Ashley-Long-195560491.html

The two adults dropped their not guilty pleas in Jackson County Circuit Court in Medford on criminal charges stemming from the February 2012 death of 14-year-old Ashley Long of Eagle Point. Prosecutors said they delayed medical attention for the girl, who collapsed from an embolism in the brain that ultimately killed her...

Katherine McAloon, 28, was sentenced to 28 months in prison and $300 restitution after pleading no contest to criminal mistreatment and guilty to delivering marijuana and alcohol to minors. Richard Mowery, 33, was sentenced to 90 days in jail and $10,000 restitution after pleading no contest to criminally negligent homicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back