Sex-changing treatment for kids: It's on the rise

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...org>&news_id=18829412&src=most_popular_viewed

CHICAGO (AP) — A small but growing number of teens and even younger children who think they were born the wrong sex are getting support from parents and from doctors who give them sex-changing treatments, according to reports in the medical journal Pediatrics.

It's an issue that raises ethical questions, and some experts urge caution in treating children with puberty-blocking drugs and hormones.

An 8-year-old second-grader in Los Angeles is a typical patient. Born a girl, the child announced at 18 months, "I a boy" and has stuck with that belief. The family was shocked but now refers to the child as a boy and is watching for the first signs of puberty to begin treatment, his mother told The Associated Press.

Pediatricians need to know these kids exist and deserve treatment, said Dr. Norman Spack, author of one of three reports published Monday and director of one of the nation's first gender identity medical clinics, at Children's Hospital Boston.

"If you open the doors, these are the kids who come. They're out there. They're in your practices," Spack said in an interview.
-------

Some are labeled with "gender identity disorder," a psychiatric diagnosis. But Spack is among doctors who think that's a misnomer. Emerging research suggests they may have brain differences more similar to the opposite sex.

Spack said by some estimates, 1 in 10,000 children have the condition.

Offering sex-changing treatment to kids younger than 18 raises ethical concerns, and their parents' motives need to be closely examined, said Dr. Margaret Moon, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics' bioethics committee. She was not involved in any of the reports.

More at link....

I have only met one child that has had the diagnosis of gender identity disorder. It's not something that can be understood unless you have lived with it or felt it. It is not a phase, it is not something they will grow out of. It will not change. This is not to say that some kids don't have a phase where they feel like they are of the opposite gender, or just wonder what it would be like to be a boy instead of a girl, but those are not the kids being addressed here.

Maybe they shouldn't be taking steps to begin a gender change at such a young age, and I can understand where the naysayers are coming from. And I agree that motives should be carefully examined before treatments are offered. But, unless you have had to share the pain of watching your child wake up angry and confused and trapped every day, don't tell these families that they are wrong. Don't tell these kids that they are wrong, because I don't feel they are.

In some cases, it's just a mental issue, but sometimes the only way to fix that mental issue is to change the physicality. I do believe that there needs to be extensive therapy, testing, counseling, more testing, and more therapy before any type of treatment is begun. But if a child were born with damaged genitalia, of a non-life threatening variety, would a parent choose to have it fixed, or would they simply tell the child they they don't want to be bothered with issues of sexuality and the child can deal with it when they turn 18, and no one cares how desperate, different and damaged they feel?

This really isn't that different, IMO.

I have only met one child that has had the diagnosis of gender identity disorder. It's not something that can be understood unless you have lived with it or felt it. It is not a phase, it is not something they will grow out of. It will not change. This is not to say that some kids don't have a phase where they feel like they are of the opposite gender, or just wonder what it would be like to be a boy instead of a girl, but those are not the kids being addressed here.

Maybe they shouldn't be taking steps to begin a gender change at such a young age, and I can understand where the naysayers are coming from. And I agree that motives should be carefully examined before treatments are offered. But, unless you have had to share the pain of watching your child wake up angry and confused and trapped every day, don't tell these families that they are wrong. Don't tell these kids that they are wrong, because I don't feel they are.

In some cases, it's just a mental issue, but sometimes the only way to fix that mental issue is to change the physicality. I do believe that there needs to be extensive therapy, testing, counseling, more testing, and more therapy before any type of treatment is begun. But if a child were born with damaged genitalia, of a non-life threatening variety, would a parent choose to have it fixed, or would they simply tell the child they they don't want to be bothered with issues of sexuality and the child can deal with it when they turn 18, and no one cares how desperate, different and damaged they feel?

This really isn't that different, IMO.

Great post! thank you for a balanced, enlightened response.

I just read the article on the 4 year old Brit. child who knew at age 2 he was gender disordered.
Sorry I disagree with any parent going along with a 2 year old making such a major life changing decision at that age. This is insane. Even at age 4, this in my opinion is irrational. This is a baby we are talking about, not someone
able to make a decision on their future.

The parents need counseling to become better educated and guide their child. No child should be making decisions at that age. This is all I have to add on this subject. I find this insane.
We don't even let our children play outside alone, pick out their OWN CLOTHES at that age and we are going to let them pick their gender at age 4!! Right.

The parents, once again need counseling if they let their child run their life.

Goz

Good night... Do children even need parents anymore?

A kid that insightful and self aware should be able to hold a full time job and rent an apartment.

We have a thread on this treatment.
I'll see if I can find it.

Gender disorder before you understand what gender is? I honestly had no real clue about gender at a young age. I'm certain I was curios what makes a boy different from a girl, but that was as far as it went. I was just a human, gender was not a matter of importance.

I don't know about anyone younger than 25 having surgery as a good idea. I have many gay friends, a few that want operations, a few that have had them. Of course they were just normal children, the problems didn't start until dating age. Then fully realizing was later.

I cannot say I agree with any surgery or life altering medications until a person is at an age to have fully discovered themselves, sexuality, and life in general. Who knows what these medications can do to the body? Who knows which adults with youthful surgery will want to reverse it, or in our sad society, sue their parents and the doctor?

I don't have any experience with messing with children's life in such a physical and psychological completely life altering situation, so my thoughts are not based on anything as such.

Gender disorder before you understand what gender is? I honestly had no real clue about gender at a young age. I'm certain I was curios what makes a boy different from a girl, but that was as far as it went. I was just a human, gender was not a matter of importance.

I don't know about anyone younger than 25 having surgery as a good idea. I have many gay friends, a few that want operations, a few that have had them. Of course they were just normal children, the problems didn't start until dating age. Then fully realizing was later.

I cannot say I agree with any surgery or life altering medications until a person is at an age to have fully discovered themselves, sexuality, and life in general. Who knows what these medications can do to the body? Who knows which adults with youthful surgery will want to reverse it, or in our sad society, sue their parents and the doctor?

I don't have any experience with messing with children's life in such a physical and psychological completely life altering situation, so my thoughts are not based on anything as such.

I have gay friends and I don't see it as a Gay issue at all. I see it as a child issue at this juncture in time. We are talking, (at least I was) about a 4 year old.

Parents need to keep a lid on this for a bit. Children think they may be other sexes and go through stages.

Goz

I have gay friends and I don't see it as a Gay issue at all. I see it as a child issue at this juncture in time. We are talking, (at least I was) about a 4 year old.

Parents need to keep a lid on this for a bit. Children think they may be other sexes and go through stages.

Goz

That's what I was trying to say, it did not come out clearly. I don't think children know, and it should wait until they are adults and they can deal with it then, when they can make clear and logical decisions for themselves. I don't think children know the difference between boy/girl, at least I didn't. Maybe I was just slow, or just didn't care either way.

I think it is treacherous to start any meds or operations to stop puberty, but what do I know? I'm not a doctor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back