745 users online (139 members and 606 guests)  

Websleuths News

Upstate NY

FL - Girl misses two years of school; mother charged

Mother charged after daughter misses two YEARS of school (Daily Mail)
    A mother has been jailed after it was revealed he daughter has missed almost two years of school.

Florida woman Elizabeth Marrero was arrested after she failed to listen to warnings that her daughter had to attend school.
    Officials with the Lake County School district in Florida had tried working with Marrero to make sure her daughter attended lessons.

But they said the girl, believed to be 15-years-old, hasn't attended classes since the 2009-2010 school year.
    'I mean two years? A couple of months okay. Two years? Thatís too much. She needs to be arrested and prosecuted,' said neighbor Abe Desouza.
    the rest, with pictures, at link above

In the Boonies of Louisiana
    Interesting. Here in Louisiana you can homeschool your kids and dont even have to notify the state as to your intent. I lived in Florida for half a year when my son should have been in Kindergarten but the school was about 20 miles away so I didn't send him. BUT I have a degree in elementary education AND he was already reading and doing math at about a 3rd grade level even though he was 5.

Florida wanted all kinds of documentation and crap so I never even bothered to file anything with them as I planned to move back to Louisiana within a year.

Upon moving back to Louisiana his old school wanted him to repeat Kindergarten because he had been out of school for half a year.

I said " Wait a minute, he is functioning on about a 3rd grade level but you want him to repeat Kindergarten because he missed a few months? And meanwhile a kid with perfect attendance who cant even say his ABC's will get to go to 1st grade and my kid will be held back?"

The principal said "Yes. The child with perfect attendance is eligible for 1st grade and your son is not".

I told her that I saw right there one of the huge problems with public schools. Luckily his testing proved he was well above kindergarten and had been recommended for gifted and I told her I would take it to court if I had to so she had little choice but to allow him to go into 1st grade.

But the point is, there is probably more to this story and we need to know more. Public high schools can be violent, crime-ridden places of abysmal academic failure, depending on where you live. The child could have been bullied and her mom refused to send her back.

My SIL lives in Florida and quit work to home school her kids rather than send them to a Florida public school and she lives in a good area (but the school is horrible). So i want to hear the rest of the story on this child and hear about the school that she was refusing to attend.

Cyrus C. convicted of 2004 arson in Harvey, La. that killed 4 people, including his 19-month-old daughter, his teenage girlfriend, the girlfriend's mom and GF's young brother (age 11). He was acquitted in 2008 (state charges) in 2008 and found GUILTY (federal charges) in 2013

Around here somewhere
    Poor kid. Sounds like what my mom did to me, and this mother needs to be held accountable. You teach your kids that bullies are a fact of life, will be for their whole lives, so they best learn how to deal with them. That excuse doesn't fly with me. Neither does any excuse that she many throw out about the kid not wanting to school or ditching out.

Unless there is documentation to go with it, I don't believe the home schooling angle. Not that there aren't some wonderful home school families out there that do it right, but there are a lot of others that don't. The only grades I attended in school were K, 1, 2, 3, 6, and half of 10th. The rest of the time I was home schooled. I recall no schooling, only sitting on the couch and watching TV, or later doing whatever I wanted to do...but it wasn't educational. To say that this has made my college career a little more difficult is an understatement. I feel for the girl, it's a sucky situation, and there will be little reminders and difficulties that she has to deal with for quite a while in the future because of it.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Well, you sure sound Ed ja ma cated!

Good for you!