Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 360
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,159
    Quote Originally Posted by tezi View Post
    They could probably offer him "use immunity" to get information. Gitana could probably explain what use immunity better than I can. I just know it's not full immunity.

    If he does talk, he's going to lay it all on Josh, after all, dead men tell no tales.
    (I removed the colour in the text because it made it difficult to read with my impaired eyesight)

    As I understand it (not being a lawyer), full immunity means that the prosecutor agrees not to prosecute for the crime(s) that the witness testifies to.

    Use immunity means that the prosecutor agrees not to include the witness's testimony and any evidence derived from that testimony in any possible prosecution but can use any evidence that was discovered independently of the witness's testimony.

    Sometimes it's a difference that makes no difference because LE cannot find any evidence that is independent of the witness's testimony.

    Other times, it is a huge difference because LE had or was able to get enough evidence to convict without the witness's testimony.


  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:


  3. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Rose View Post

    "It was a very controlled relationship. Steven controlled Josh, so if he was in trouble, he would have known what was going on, or even worse, been controlling what he did."

    Graves believes Steven Powell did not want Susan involved in the raising of his grandchildren.
    "She was a threat for his control over the family. She was too strong to have around," he said.
    Steven Powell filed court papers last week saying he will not cooperate with investigations being conducted by law enforcement agencies into the case.
    I seriously believe this, SP degraded Susan's image sexually after her disappearance, and I believe that this was to maximize just how much she was degraded- to kick her while she was down.
    Last edited by bessie; 02-25-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    Barely made it through 10th grade chemistry


  4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RoseTree For This Useful Post:


  5. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,038
    Just an example of a possibility:

    It could be all about SP maintaining control over how he wanted to conduct his life. Because, don't you know, it's all about him.

    Think about this: SP playing JP and Susan against each other. This results in the death of Susan. Then, in order to try and maintain control over Josh, perhaps SP helps him dispose of evidence. In a desperate measure to gain control back, JP kills himself and his children.
    Last edited by concentric; 02-25-2012 at 08:43 AM.


  6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to concentric For This Useful Post:


  7. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dumpwater, Arkansas..LOL
    Posts
    5,230

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I'm not gitana or a lawyer, but I think "full immunity" means they can't prosecute you on any matter about which they ask you; "use immunity" means they can still prosecute, but they can't use anything you say against you.


    Exactly Nova. I just couldn't put it into words. My brain isn't functionally all that well! LOL, of course you already know that!
    Last edited by tezi; 02-25-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: fix formatting...
    My posts are to stay at WS, not to be moved to other forums for their members to judge. I know who is moving posts and this is fair warning. If I want my posts moved to other places, I will do it myself.

    The above post is JMO, MOO, MHO, and all other disclaimers. Please leave it here at WS! TIA


  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tezi For This Useful Post:


  9. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozgals View Post
    Thanks Grainne. What would I do without you??


    You actually answered, what I meant was how long has he been in jail. 5 months
    taken from the about post.

    Thanks
    Goz
    And at this point his trial is still scheduled for March 20, 2012.
    03/20/2012 08:30 AM


  10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:


  11. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,707
    SP is still named as a defendant in a Superior court Civil case in Pierce County, along with JP and his brother and sister. This is set for a jury trial in 8/2012

    Pierce County Superior Court Civil Case 11-2-13049-1

    https://linxonline.co.pierce.wa.us/linxweb/Main.cfm

    Jury trial set for 3/20/12 confirmation:

    POWELL, STEVEN CRAIG
    11-1-03893-1 Trial Date: 03/20/12 08:30 AM Pros: GRANT E. BLINN
    VOYEURISM (14)
    PDMESEC II
    08:30 AM JURY TRIAL
    Def: MARK T. QUIGLEY
    Proud member of the AFKBPOFPOPL


  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wenwe4 For This Useful Post:


  13. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    18,978
    Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    ...If SP implicates he knows where she is, then LE has all the ammo they need to charge him. Catch 22 for him.
    Sorry to quibble, but there are ways for SP (though his lawyer) to tell LE he can locate the body without that info being used against him. In fact, "off the record" discussions between defense counsel and the DA are quite common during plea bargain negotiations.

    Some of us will remember how David Westerfied's lawyer tried to negotiate a reduced sentence in return for revealing the victim's body, negotiations that fell through when the body was accidentally discovered by someone else. That Westerfield had offered the info as a bargaining ploy couldn't be used against him at trial. And in fact it was only after conviction that the prosecution told the public that the killer had claimed to know the location of the body.


  14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:


  15. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15,948
    Motion to suppress evidence collected in the search.... in other words... all the evidence.

    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1948...cid=featured-1

    Attorneys for Steven Powell are asking a judge to throw out the images seized from his home that are the basis for voyeurism charges against him, claiming the evidence was collected illegally.


  16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:


  17. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,188
    I came to WS to post the same article MsF. I could see this coming - how about any of you? I was going to post it on the thread entitled Steven Powell arrested, but that thread is closed.

    I am really not surprised by this defense. Disgusted, but not surprised. P.S. I cannot stand to see his image in these articles either. I just want to when I see him.
    This is where Sky belongs!! Proud member of the Sky Crew & proud supporter of Solomon's quest to find his precious son!

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195327


  18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cocomod For This Useful Post:


  19. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,707
    What were the warrants for?
    Makes me sick . . . caught with evidence of voyeurism, charged with it, and he's mad because he feel's his rights were violated? No thought of the two little neighbor girls he took pictures of through their bathroom window!

    Hmmmmm. . . . . . . I need to breathe deeply and step off to my 'happy place' . . . .
    Proud member of the AFKBPOFPOPL


  20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wenwe4 For This Useful Post:


  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15,948
    According to the motion, the search warrant allowed for the seizure of seven journals that belonged to Susan Powell, any type of digital or electronic device that could store copies of her journals, "any other fruits or instrumentalities determined to be evidence of kidnapping, homicide and obstruction of justice," and forensic evidence such as blood, hair, fingerprints and fibers.

    The affidavit states that a search warrant for the journals was necessary. "Due to the fact these journals are evidence and could provide further intelligence and or investigative leads, these journals must be recovered. With the lack of cooperation and criminally obstructive behavior from Steven and Joshua Powell refusing to provide the journals to law enforcement in November 2010, a search warrant must be executed to recover this evidence."

    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1948...cid=featured-1

    Quote Originally Posted by cocomod View Post
    I came to WS to post the same article MsF. I could see this coming - how about any of you? I was going to post it on the thread entitled Steven Powell arrested, but that thread is closed.

    I am really not surprised by this defense. Disgusted, but not surprised. P.S. I cannot stand to see his image in these articles either. I just want to when I see him.
    I am always amazed when I am the first to post anything!

    I figured this was the most relevant thread, however if a mod wants to make a thread specifically for this trial which is hopefully coming up on March 20th... and the pre trial stuff... I would not object at all to today's posts about this motion being moved over there.


  22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:


  23. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    Motion to suppress evidence collected in the search.... in other words... all the evidence.

    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1948...cid=featured-1

    Attorneys for Steven Powell are asking a judge to throw out the images seized from his home that are the basis for voyeurism charges against him, claiming the evidence was collected illegally.
    I hope the judge denies this request. That Powell family has gotten away with murder already. Enough is enough!


  24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DLT88 For This Useful Post:


  25. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Piney Woods of East Texas
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by DLT88 View Post
    I hope the judge denies this request. That Powell family has gotten away with murder already. Enough is enough!
    How do you figure that the Powell family has got away with murder? Josh Powell, yes, he murdered his sons, but I do not see how you think the Powell family had any part of the murder. I doubt Jennifer Powell Graves had anything to do with the murders of her nephews. Why don't we focus on Josh Powell...not the entire "Powell family".


  26. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    STEELER COUNTRY!
    Posts
    25,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulamith View Post
    How do you figure that the Powell family has got away with murder? Josh Powell, yes, he murdered his sons, but I do not see how you think the Powell family had any part of the murder. I doubt Jennifer Powell Graves had anything to do with the murders of her nephews. Why don't we focus on Josh Powell...not the entire "Powell family".
    Those outside the family home are innocents, I am sure.........
    not so sure about those that lived in the compound of SP.
    Living in the house I am sure one would know all the 'secrets'.
    Knowing and not telling is guilt by association in my book.
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........


  27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:


  28. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    4,285
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    According to the motion, the search warrant allowed for the seizure of seven journals that belonged to Susan Powell, any type of digital or electronic device that could store copies of her journals, "any other fruits or instrumentalities determined to be evidence of kidnapping, homicide and obstruction of justice," and forensic evidence such as blood, hair, fingerprints and fibers.

    The affidavit states that a search warrant for the journals was necessary. "Due to the fact these journals are evidence and could provide further intelligence and or investigative leads, these journals must be recovered. With the lack of cooperation and criminally obstructive behavior from Steven and Joshua Powell refusing to provide the journals to law enforcement in November 2010, a search warrant must be executed to recover this evidence."

    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1948...cid=featured-1



    I am always amazed when I am the first to post anything!

    I figured this was the most relevant thread, however if a mod wants to make a thread specifically for this trial which is hopefully coming up on March 20th... and the pre trial stuff... I would not object at all to today's posts about this motion being moved over there.
    Doesn't the part about "any type of digital or electronic device that could store copies of her journals" apply to the computers? If so then I fail to see how his lawyers have a leg to stand on when it comes to having the evidence thrown out. They searched for journal images on the computers (per the warrents) and instead found unspeakable images. Sucks for SP but perhaps he should have thought ahead of time when he was threatening to release those journal entries to the public.

    MOO


  29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TorisMom003 For This Useful Post:


Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Possible pending arrest in the near future?! Steven Powell discussion
    By Blue_Dolphin308 in forum Susan Cox Powell
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 11:02 PM
  2. Is Susan Powell's Father in-law (Steven Powell) Involved in her Disappearance?
    By Tricia in forum The Poll Forum! Public Welcome To Participate
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM
  3. Steven Powell arrested in Washington State
    By deelytful1 in forum Susan Cox Powell
    Replies: 1288
    Last Post: 09-26-2011, 01:30 AM
  4. Replies: 181
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 04:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •