GUILTY WA - Jamie Chaffin for child endangerment, Bremerton, 2012

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...d-grader-shot-at-washington-elementary-school

Third-grader shot at Washington elementary school
February 22, 2012

"A third-grade girl was shot and wounded and a second student was detained Wednesday at an elementary school in Bremerton, Wash..."

and

"....NBC station KING of Seattlereported that Armin Jahr Elementary School in Bremerton, about 15 miles west of Seattle, was on lockdown after the girl was shot about 1:30 p.m. local time (4:30 p.m. ET). Police didn't immediately report the girl's condition..."

and

"...another student was detained and that a firearm was found in a classroom...."

OMG!!! A SECOND GRADER brought a gun to school? :furious:

Whoever owns that gun should serve some time in jail, imo.

My gosh! What is this world coming to???

Elementary???

Makes you want to lock your kids up at home.

The horror! This is my biggest fear. An incident at school, where I cannot control the safety of my kids.

This girls poor family must be beside themselves right.

An accident. A nine-year-old has a loaded gun at school and shoots an eight-year-old, who may not survive. The school said this was an accident. WTH???

Prayers for Amina going up. Hang in there little one.

An accident. A nine-year-old has a loaded gun at school and shoots an eight-year-old, who may not survive. The school said this was an accident. WTH???

I am pretty sure by "accident" they mean it was not intentional. With his age being only 9, I am not sure what kind of consequences from criminal justice system he could face regardless.

Just saw GMA coverage on this case. They said the gun was in the boy's backpack and accidently went off.

Wth?

Why is there a gun in this boy's backpack?

Sounds to me like he saw it, thought it was cool, and slipped it in his backpack to show a friend or something.

What a horrible thing.

I'm just glad to hear a 9 year old didn't shoot the other student on purpose.

I was having a really hard time wrapping my mind around that.

Just another reason I would love to be able to home school. Kids shouldn't have to be scared to death to go to school to get their educations. Very sad.

The horror! This is my biggest fear. An incident at school, where I cannot control the safety of my kids.

This girls poor family must be beside themselves right.

I so agree!!! There was a shooting at my kids' school, and we heard it over the scanner first, me and their dad were there just minutes after the cops (couldn't get there fast enough)!

I'm so glad my daughter is finished school. I would be terrified to send her. What a shame. With the increase in shootings as well as molestations by teachers, its a wonder there are any children in school at all. Not that I'm big on homeschooling. I am just concerned for the safety of children in school today.

The shooting was accidental, the fact that the child brought a gun to school is criminal. I'm curious as to why there are no charges against the adult that just happened to leave a loaded firearm lying around where a nine year old could get to it.

The shooting was accidental, the fact that the child brought a gun to school is criminal. I'm curious as to why there are no charges against the adult that just happened to leave a loaded firearm lying around where a nine year old could get to it.

As far as I understand it, they haven't figured out where the kid got the gun as of yet.

Hmmm. I honestly don't know quite what to say. I need to know more about this boy and his living situation. Horrid....any way you look at it. How I pray that Amina pulls through.

http://news.yahoo.com/father-kid-made-mistake-school-shooting-234421181.html

Father: 'My kid made a mistake' in school shooting
February 23, 2012

"Crying and wearing an orange jail jumpsuit, a frightened 9-year-old boy accused of accidentally shooting a classmate sat before a judge in juvenile court Thursday as his father gently rubbed his back. The scene — coming a day after police said the boy accidently shot a fellow third-grader — raised questions that will be played out in the legal system: Did he know what he did was wrong? And is anyone else responsible?

Bail was set at $50,000 during the preliminary hearing, and ultimately the court will determine whether the third-grader will face criminal charges as an 8-year-old girl remains critically wounded. "I just want everyone to know that my kid made a mistake. It was a terrible mistake," the boy's father, Jason Cochran, said outside the courthouse...."

and

"....Authorities believe he got the weapon during a visitation with his mother over the weekend, according to charging documents released Thursday. The documents state that the boy told a classmate about five days ago that he was going to bring his "dad's gun" to school and run away. The gun discharged after the boy slammed his backpack down on a desk..."

and

"....The boy's classmate remained in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle after undergoing surgery for a gunshot wound. Dr. Eileen Bulger said the girl will likely be at the hospital for several weeks and face further surgeries. She was sedated and on a ventilator but has woken up and interacted with her parents...."

More at link

From details in the article linked above, this little guy was most likely prenatally exposed to meth. He recently lost his adoptive mother to death; his grandmother, and he's been shuttled around to other family members. He lives separately from his mother. Most likely, he's in a regular ed classroom where teachers and staff struggle with his acting out and anger.

And a gun was available to him.

A recipe for disaster.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member