671 users online (105 members and 566 guests)  

Websleuths News

Upstate NY

KS - Her recovery from brain disease included shooting hoops - while still in a coma

Teenage girl who contracted brain disease pictured shooting basketball hoops... while still in a COMA (Daily Mail)
    A high school basketball enthusiast, who contracted a potentially fatal illness and fell into a coma, astounded doctors when she continued to shoot hoops in her comatose state.

Maggie Meier fell ill in 2008 and was admitted to hospital after suffering a seizure.

The student at Blue Valley Northwest High School in Overland Park, Kansas was found to have mycoplasma meningoencephalitis - a form of meningitis which causes swelling on the brain.
    Excuse me - shooting hoops while still in a coma??
    Dr William Graf, Meier’s neurologist, told thedaily.com: 'The act of shooting a basketball must have been ingrained as one of Maggie’s basic instincts - her basketball shooting motion came back to her even before she was able to stand up or walk again.'
    Since coming out of her coma, the high school student has had to relearn every facet of her daily life - how to walk, speak and read.
    On Monday, she returned to the court after almost four years spent recovering.
    much more, with some remarkable pictures of Maggie shooting hoops, at link above
    Last edited by wfgodot; 02-23-2012 at 02:38 AM.

WOW that’s extraordinary.
    Staffies They're Softer Than You Think

"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." – Benny Fallout: New Vegas

"What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

what an incredible story!