Army medical chief placed on leave amid investigations into PTSD diagnoses

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.theolympian.com/2012/02/21/1998862/head-of-madigan-army-medical-center.html

The head of Madigan Army Medical Center has been removed from his post while the Army concludes an investigation into a Madigan psychiatry team that changed the diagnoses of some soldiers without meeting them in person.
-------

Meanwhile, the Army Surgeon General this week is contacting the families of 14 soldiers whose diagnoses for post-traumatic stress disorder were adjusted by the Madigan forensic psychiatry team in such a way that the former soldiers did not receive full disability pensions.

More soldiers whose PTSD diagnoses were changed have also requested reviews of their cases, the Army said Monday.
-------

The forensic psychiatry team was created at Madigan in October 2008 to review behavioral health diagnoses and ensure that patients leave the Army with the correct treatment plans. Madigan is the only Army hospital with that kind of program.

Lawmakers are questioning its purpose in light of internal memos that showed members of the team urging behavioral health professionals to consider the long-term costs to taxpayers of a PTSD diagnosis. One memo said a PTSD diagnosis for a veteran could cost up to $1.5 million over a soldier’s lifetime.

“This is an investigation that has only just begun,” Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., said Monday night in a written statement. “The most important thing is that these service members and their families are provided with answers on why cost was a factor in the treatment they sought for the invisible wounds of war, and that the Army takes the right steps to fix it.”

More at link...

I don't have an opinion about this particular medical chief and no knowledge of his conduct. But the deliberate misdiagnosis of PTSD among our veterans is an outrage and long overdue for investigation.

Support our troops, indeed!

Praying this is fixed SOON!

Our men and women deserve all they can get after their courageous service.

I don't have an opinion about this particular medical chief and no knowledge of his conduct.
But the deliberate misdiagnosis of PTSD among our veterans is an outrage and long overdue for investigation.

Support our troops, indeed!

I DO! They did this to my son-in-law!!! He was in infantry and did patrols. He almost stepped on and IED (the guy behind him screamed when he saw it.) He was in IRAQ for two tours on the second one something horrible happened, That even the Army didn't prepare him for Then when he got back they placed him in a job position that caused him more distress because of what happened in Iraq. Ft Lewis would not allow a diagnosis of PTSD. He was given an "Administrative Discharge because he pressed the issue. He didn't want "out" he wanted HELP!!!

After a few sessions with a psychiatrist AT MADIGAN, he was told he was being sent home in 90 days because he was not fit to serve. It almost destroyed him. They worked him like a dog those last three months, then sent off to Yakima for a month to "work" and basically NO ONE was around.

:maddening:I am just furious right now!
Basically he was told that he wasn't man enough for the Army anymore despite getting several awards/acknowledgements and advanced in rank more than his counterparts.

I'm so sorry that happened to your son, gngr~snap, after he needed help. Since he was at Madigan, is it possible to request a review of his case since this investigation is going on?

I'm so sorry that happened to your son, gngr~snap, after he needed help. Since he was at Madigan, is it possible to request a review of his case since this investigation is going on?

Oh yes! I have tunnel vision right now. My father was in the Army years ago. He didn't believe anything like that was going on. HE IS PISSED RIGHT NOW!
TOO BAD Seattle WA is 2700 miles away or I'd be on base at 6am!!!!
I'm doing my research.
If nothing else he should be awarded enough $ to have the surgery he was unable to have before he was D/C- google "jeep seat disease" :what: it is awful!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back