IN - Boy, one, found drowned in baptismal pool at church daycare

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Boy, one, found floating in baptismal pool after drowning in two feet of
water... and the church daycare workers didn't even know he was gone

A toddler was found floating in a church baptismal pool after he apparently drowned in just two feet of water while he was under the car of an unlicensed daycare.

The caretakers at Praise Fellowship Assembly of God in Indianapolis, Indiana, apparently didn't realize Juan Cardenas, age one, was missing until a therapist arrived and couldn't find the boy Wednesday, according to police.

Because the daycare operated in a church, it is considered a 'registered ministry' and is not required to have the same inspections or safety standards are daycare centers. Under Indiana law, workers aren't even required to be licensed.

When it was inspected in November for sanitation, the state cited Praise Fellowship Assembly of God 18 times for not having background checks for their employees and having expired food and baby formula, RTV6 in Indianapolis.
---
more at Daily Mail link above

Poor little angel.

And yet another example where babies can easily fall through the cracks.

Concerned that a "registered ministry" doesn't have to abide by daycare rules in Indiana.

Concerned that a "registered ministry" doesn't have to abide by daycare rules in Indiana.

Me too. There are lots of church daycares in my area. I never dreamed they weren't subject to the same standards as other daycares.

Thank God my kids are grown!!!

Critics Call Child Care Rules Attack On Church (indychannel.com)
---
Eric Miller with Advance America said Wednesday the legislation could affect day camps, Christian schools, vacation bible schools and Sunday schools.

"For decades, churches in Indiana have been free to start and provide a child care ministry for the families in their community without government control," said Miller via e-mail. "There is no justification for the General Assembly to pass a law to control church child care ministries or any other ministry offered by a church for children!"
---
more at the link; article's from Feb 2011

Guess that bill didn't pass. R.I.P., Juan Cardenas.

Poor baby, my heart goes out to his family.

Because the daycare operated in a church, it is considered a 'registered ministry' and is not required to have the same inspections or safety standards are daycare centers. Under Indiana law, workers aren't even required to be licensed.

This worries me, you’d think even if it’s a registered ministry it would have to have the same inspections or safety standards as a day care after all it is a day care. As for the fact workers aren't required to be licensed left me in shock. They’re looking after children! They were cited for not having background checks for their employees.

wfgodot (one of my favs of all time, btw) thanks for sharing this. what a tragic, senseless death. it bothers me that i did not know prior to this that church daycare centers were not subject to the same oversight as any other.

i am going to do some research about my state...but this is just wrong.

if i had little ones and read this......you can bet i'd not put them in a church centered daycare. i know there are many wonderful ones. all of my kids at one time or another were in them. still, in this world, i don't think i could ever chance it.

to me, this just screams ''hey pedos, go get a job at the local church daycare center!" disgusting!

Lawmakers To Push For More Church Day Care Regulations (theindychannel.com)
INDIANAPOLIS -- The drowning death of a 1-year-old boy at a church day care earlier this week is reigniting a push at the Statehouse for more regulations at such facilities.
---
RTV6 has learned that Sen. Greg Taylor, D-Indianapolis, has drafted an amendment that would bring church day care regulations more in line with other types of day cares by adding staffing ratios, training requirements and other safety measures, such as requiring the person watching the children be at least 18 years old.
---
Pros? Cons?
Child Care Answers, a referral agency for parents choosing day care, supports the amendment.

"We believe all children deserve to be kept healthy and safe," said Mindy Bennett, programs director for the organization.
---
But previous efforts to further regulate church day cares have failed, in part due to pressure from conservative organizations including Advance America and the American Family Association of Indiana.
---
"I think we really need to avoid rushing to government action every time a tragedy happens," said [AFA] Executive Director Micah Clark.
---
Perhaps wait till another one-year-old drowns, eh.
Had the facility been licensed, state regulators would have looked to ensure the pool was inaccessible to children at all times, such as behind a locked door, Call 6 Investigator Kara Kenney reported.
---
Compare the number of regulations currently in place, please.
Church day cares have to meet about 21 state standards, compared with 192 standards for a licensed day care center, and 94 for a licensed home day care, according to a Call 6 Investigation from May 2011.
---
more at the link above

Very sad.

I worked for a church daycare/preschool in Louisiana for years. We had very strict standards and were licensed by the state.

We had the unannounced visits and yearly reports from the state.

I never realized some states don't require that.

Our children deserve nothing less!

My question, as I have worked with toddlers before, is WHY was it not noticed he was missing?
As a preschool teacher, I spent most of day counting. Not only before and after moves to different locations, but constantly.

There is NO EXCUSE for a child to be missing in a childcare facility. NONE

Rest in peace baby boy.
:(

Fourteen states—Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, New York, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, and Virginia—allow some or all religiously affiliated child care centers to be unlicensed.
link here

A tragedy for certain. Sad all the way around. BUT it is incumbent upon parents to know who is caring for their child, and how.

I never used daycare, but understand many must to survive. I'm NOT trashing daycare- just pointing out that one should do their own 'detective work' before leaving their child with others.

terrible tragedy and RIP little Juan.

HOWEVER -

the requirements made by the government would put a lot of these places out of "business" and often times they are highly reduced or free care for parents who desperately need it so I would hate to see gov't red tape all over them.

For example - for my business I had to comply with many of the same requirements for licensed daycares......in order to not be in violation of county regulations, I had to install a very specific bathroom with very specific types of toilets, in a very specific layouts, sink measurements etc....cheapest quote on getting the bathroom with one stall/one sink was $10,000 !!! Literally $10k for a toilet and a sink for toddler aged children (there was a bathroom in the facility but I wasn't allowed to convert that - had to have that one AND the kid's bathroom because if I removed the big one, I wasn't complying with providing adequate facilities for employees.....I WAS MY ONLY EMPLOYEE !!) It was insane.....anyway, the church wouldn't be able to deal with that crap for sure and where would these kids go for daycare while Momma/Daddy worked??? I think the church should certainly employ common sense - don't let the kids out of your sight !!

ETA: I had that hoop to jump through (and many others) and I WAS NOT A DAYCARE !!! So I can't even imagine how much more BS the daycares deal with.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back