Two retired San Jose police officers on Thursday celebrated two decades of running "Fugitive Watch," which they say has netted more than 1,205 arrests thanks to viewers who tip them off about where the suspects might be hiding out...............

Neither retired officer is showing any signs of slowing down.

Before their 20th anniversary luncheon attended by top law enforcement, the "Fugitive Watch" founders announced they are working with Hayward police and San Jose police on two cold cases.

In San Jose, "Fugitive Watch" has featured Salvador Negrete Suarez, wanted in the Dec. 26, 1990, homicide of Antonio Molinar Alvarez. Police say that Suarez pulled up next to Alvarez on southbound U.S. Highway 101 near
Guadalupe Parkway and shot him to death. Police say he may have gone to Mexico, but also may have returned to the Bay Area.

And in Hayward, "Fugitive Watch" is helping police track down John Timothy Shinnik, who is wanted in connection with the attempted murder of a woman and a robbery at a Taco Bell in 1995. Police say he smashed out the woman's car window and shot her in the face. Shinnik, also wanted for desertion from the military, uses the aliases of Scott Trey and John Bradshaw, and has tattoos of the words "Tim" and "Desert Storm" on his body.

"As a rookie, I was told, 'Don't waste your time with petty stuff,' " Ferdin said. —‰'Get guys that hurt people.' "

So, 20 years ago, that's what Ferdin and Castruita did. They wanted to take the "Most Wanted" poster idea and bring that information to a whole new level. It was the cable company that first suggested they come up with a proposal for a TV show. Things just grew from there. Ferdin didn't disclose the "Fugitive Watch" operating budget, but he said that the nonprofit basically covers costs of cellphone usage, paying a producer, a newspaper editor and a computer technician, among other subcontractors. Castruita said he's lucky if he even earns "$1 an hour."

Still, the retired officers feel great about what they've accomplished.

"This has been quite a ride," Ferdin said. "I feel great satisfaction if I've been able to save a life and get a bad guy off the street."

More at link...