UNSOLVED OH - West Chester, WhtFem 35-45, hit by car on I-75, Aug'72

PFF

Reaction score
Died by accident after being struck by a car on I-75 while walking one mile north of the Tylersville Road exit August 10, 1972

NO id but had a picture of a infant
{See {ohio} Hamilton Journal News August 16, 1972 .p.10}

Sketch of victium
{See {ohio} Hamilton Journal News August 17, 1972 .p.11}

Note must register on Ancestory.com and take a membership to see newspaper files

Do we know that this person is still unidentified today?

Here are the photo of the infant, and a sketch of the woman:

2574114860045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2107533350045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

A few snippets from the news article:

Almost a week has passed, and no one has been able to identify the woman struck and killed by an auto early Thursday on I-75, about one mile north of the Tylersville Road exit.

Also found near the scene was a large white linen arm sling, the type worn by persons recovering from a wrist or arm injury.

Fingerprints of the woman were sent to the Bureau of Criminal investigation, London.

The victim’s clothing ... includes the black cotton sleeveless blouse, a light cotton (white) sweater with sleeves and buttons up the front’ an upper full set of dentures with a transparent mold to fit the upper part of the mouth; black cotton knee-length or longer pants, and a white bra ... navy blue Hush Puppies, size 6 ½ medium, that may have been purchased in the last month or two; an Independent Lock Co. Key (white) key stock number 1176, with the number 35533 hand stamped on the key; a silver ring key holder; the infant’s photograph, and the $1 bill and change, found near the body.

There was no billfold or pocketbook found at the scene, but the linen knotted arm sling was found some distance near the body.

The victim had brown eyes, was about 5 feet 3 inches tall, weighed 120 to 130 pounds, had strawberry blonde dyed hair, and could be between 35 to 45 years of age.

Some additional info from a separate article:

The full upper dentures, with the plastic transparent roof, have been estimated by a local dental technician to be 10 to 15 years old. The lower jaw contained three front teeth and three teeth in poor condition in the lower right jaw.

The White cotton cardigan-type sweater bore the trade name “Carol Gay” a trade name that has not yet been identified.

The Arkansas manufacturer of the Hush Puppies worn by the woman is checking the markings in the shoes size 6 ½ medium.

Here's a second slightly different drawing of the same woman, taken from the 15-Aug-72 edition of the Hamilton Journal News:

2225305040045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Also, not mentioned in the subsequent articles - She was wearing an engagement ring and a wedding ring, and her hair was died strawberry-blonde and grey at the roots.

Interestingly Joanne has a former husband who had full time care of their two daughters ( not common at that time at all)I wonder if he would be able to identify the baby picture found with the Jane Doe? If would make a lot of sense if it was Joanne who only visited her children had a picture of one of her daughters as a baby with her. ( I do realise that a lot of parents carry photos of children as babies in their wallets)

yes, it does match her description,but they might not necessarily include dentures.

Here are the photo of the infant, and a sketch of the woman:

2574114860045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2107533350045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

A few snippets from the news article:

Not been a local -this might be a dumb question but could they track down the studio the baby photo was taken? Or was it part of a chain of stores?

Not been a local -this might be a dumb question but could they track down the studio the baby photo was taken? Or was it part of a chain of stores?
Not a dumb question at all, but yes, a chain. Olan Mills has been around for ages (since 1932 according to their website) with studios all over the country. The photo had no other identifying marks, according to the report. Today, there might be an electronic trail. That wouldn't have been the case in 1972, unfortunately.

http://www.olanmills.com/

Although the photo is grainy the infant appears to wearing boys clothing. In this day and age it wouldn't be unusual to see photos of infant girls in shorts or even collar shirts (e.g. polo shirt) but 30+ years ago it would have been considered very strange. Male infants would often wear a dress (e.g. for baptism) in a professional photo however.

Not a dumb question at all, but yes, a chain. Olan Mills has been around for ages (since 1932 according to their website) with studios all over the country. The photo had no other identifying marks, according to the report. Today, there might be an electronic trail. That wouldn't have been the case in 1972, unfortunately.

http://www.olanmills.com/

They also had them here in the UK until a year or so ago, when they closed due to the economy.

(Not helpful, I know, but I thought I'd share!)

the type of black and white picture had been discontuined about a year before the accident

This is all :http://trademarks.justia.com/715/81/carol-gay-71581788.html .
The label license expired in 1992 and was not renewed. Since the label was ready to wear- it could have been sold anywhere, most likely department stores. Interesting that the label sold "corsets" as well. The label was not the name of a real person- note the "fanciful" designation under the "consent" portion of the registration.

Do we know that this person is still unidentified today?

That was my thought too. I see nothing about this UID on Namus or Doe Network and if all the sources are from 1972 she could have been identified 42 years ago

While I cant remember the exact date...there was a case in Butler County Ohio of an Unknown White Female who died after accidently being struck by a car..she was estimated to have been in her forties...one arm was in a napkin sling..there was no identification on her but she did have a black and white Olan Mills photograph of a young child...a sketch of the deceased was placed in the Hamilton_Journal Newspaper....I know I placed a entry on this Jane Doe on at least two missing persons websites Porchlight USA and Websleuths...for some reason I cant find the Porchlight USA thread....and Im not sure if Websleuths thread survived as well...{Some time ago I was trying to find the thread I's started becaiuse at that I wanted to place it on "UNidentied Wiki Website} I know because there a attachment of the sketch of "Jane Doe" and also of the Olan Mills picture as well....If anyone can find this thread on "Websleuths" please place here...as a matter of fact since because of cimcumstances I cant write anything on the "Unidentied Wiki"there quite welcome to place it on that website as well

Anyone have any idea which case this is?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20
Back