Rapid City man restores Wounded Knee site

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Pilamaya, thank you, to Mr. Brown Eyes for his actions in restoring the pillars. A good story.

When Julian Brown Eyes visited the gravesite at Wounded Knee — the burial ground of more than 100 Sioux who were massacred over a century ago — he saw dilapidated brick pillars guarding the entrance to the small, remote cemetery.

So Brown Eyes, who operates Competitive Masonry on the north side of Rapid City, decided to restore the six-foot-tall, 60-year-old brick pillars.

Read more: http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/ra...e92-11e1-b0c3-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1nJcJRt1k

Right on! I hope this sort of thing catches on... if the governments will move out of the way (local, state, federal-- as well as school districts and park systems) and permit private citizens/companies to restore our crumbling public spaces, we could actually make some strides toward repairing our limping national pride. We need more of this type of magnanimity.

:clap:

Thanks, Mr. Julian Brown Eyes, from all we brown-eyed people with Native blood.

Yes I was soooo happy to read this! Thank You Mr. Brown Eyes.

Right on! I hope this sort of thing catches on... if the governments will move out of the way (local, state, federal-- as well as school districts and park systems) and permit private citizens/companies to restore our crumbling public spaces, we could actually make some strides toward repairing our limping national pride. We need more of this type of magnanimity.

You're kidding, right? When government got "out of the way", private citizens filled the West with mines, fences, cattle ranches, smog and polluted waterways. Most of the native species were driven almost to the point of extinction.

Let's stop with the myth that, left to their own devices and capitalist competition, everybody suddenly becomes a saint. It's quite literally a deadly delusion.

On the rez there is not a lot of money to survive, let alone do anything proactive. A few years ago I was visiting friends who live right down the street from the site; there was a lady sitting across the street from the monument with her 3 children, in 105 degree weather, selling earrings that she had made. I visited with her and we all shared cold drinks I had in the cooler. She was selling the jewelry because she needed to buy a $50 grave marker for her 10 year old daughter. Her 12 year old had gotten behind the wheel of the family car and backed over and killed his sister; this happened because he was ADHD and the mother couldn't afford the medicine for her son. I have never in my life been so happy to have cash in my pocket than I was that day and I cherish the pair of medicine wheel color earrings I bought that day. To not be able to afford the medicne that is dispensed like M&Ms in other places is sad. :(

This man looked in his heart and did what he felt needed to be done. Mr. Brown Eyes did the right thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back