1111 users online (223 members and 888 guests)  

Websleuths News

Just curious ... well, a bit more than curious - “victim’s rights” organizations

I have made my services available pro bono to multiple “victim’s rights” organizations, particularly including victims of sexual abuse and domestic violence. Sadly, to me, I have found them to be closed networks of paraprofessionals, some professionals, and some “victims” with a misguided mission. The “organizations” are networked and very much “institutionalized,” but the victims as individuals have consistently taken advantage of the pro bono service offered. I have never charged a victim for anything. I have done scores of pro bono profiles for victims, mostly females who have been stalked, battered and otherwise abused. What is it with so-called victim organizations that makes them so protective of their “turf”? I don’t understand it. It is not productive ... and to me, when it comes to the victims, the turf protection seems very exploitive. Just my opinion ... but I can assure you, it is informed ... well, it’s not terribly informed, it’s mine.

Russell
    Even chaos is well patterned.

Quote Originally Posted by Knot4u2no View Post
    I have made my services available pro bono to multiple “victim’s rights” organizations, particularly including victims of sexual abuse and domestic violence. Sadly, to me, I have found them to be closed networks of paraprofessionals, some professionals, and some “victims” with a misguided mission. The “organizations” are networked and very much “institutionalized,” but the victims as individuals have consistently taken advantage of the pro bono service offered. I have never charged a victim for anything. I have done scores of pro bono profiles for victims, mostly females who have been stalked, battered and otherwise abused. What is it with so-called victim organizations that makes them so protective of their “turf”? I don’t understand it. It is not productive ... and to me, when it comes to the victims, the turf protection seems very exploitive. Just my opinion ... but I can assure you, it is informed ... well, it’s not terribly informed, it’s mine.

Russell

Interesting to hear your perspective.