1381 users online (246 members and 1135 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MA - DA: Mass. sergeant shoots officer, then kills self

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/usnews/ci_20041389

BEVERLY, Mass.—An off-duty sergeant shot a police officer from a nearby town Friday night, then returned to the scene and killed himself as authorities closed in, the district attorney said. .............

The 43-year-old Nagy returned to the Starbucks at about 10:30 p.m., and police there began to cordon off the scene. Nagy fatally shot himself in his car as officers approached him, Blodgett said.

Nagy and Lantych knew each other, but the motive for the shooting is unclear, the district attorney's office said. Beverly and Hamilton are towns about 5 miles apart in northeastern Massachusetts.

More at link...

Few Answers After Police Officer Shot

http://www.wbur.org/2012/02/25/police-shooting-4

As investigators search for a motive, authorities are crediting the quick action of witnesses for saving the life of a Beverly police officer after a shooting Friday night.

Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett says Officer Jason Lantych was shot several times by off-duty Hamilton Police Sgt. Ken Nagy. According to Blodgett, the two men knew each other and had planned to meet at the Starbucks on Route 1A in Beverly, near where the shooting took place. It is unclear why the two men were meeting.

“Without regard to their own safety, several individuals exited the Starbucks and provided medical attention to Officer Lantych immediately after he was shot until the ambulance arrived,” Beverly Police Chief Mark Ray said. “Their actions saved Jasonʼs life and they should be commended for their courage and quick thinking.”
    ------

Hamilton Police Chief Russell Stevens says Nagy was with the department for 19 years. “He was a great police officer, a good investigator and well-liked by the community,” Stevens said. “He will be greatly missed.”

Nagy’s wife Katie works for a local domestic violence agency called HAWC (Healing Abuse, Working for Change). According to Ray, she works with the Beverly Police Department as a domestic violence advocate.

More at link....

Hamilton Sgt. Ken Nagy and Beverly Officer Jason Lantych had agreed to meet at the Starbucks in Beverly on Friday night before Nagy shot Lanytch in the leg and wrist, Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said.

It wasn't immediately clear why they were meeting.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...oting_suicide/
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

The wounded police officer worked for the Beverly Police Dept., the same agency the shooter's wife worked for as a domestic violence advocate. I think this tragic situation is becoming clear. Prayers for all who have been impacted by this violence.
    One person can make a difference, and everyone should try.
    John F. Kennedy

I live in this community. Sgt. Nagy was a well liked officer who was polite and professional. he was not an erratic, fly off the handle kind of person, as an officer at least. The wounded officer serves in a town nearby and worked with teenagers as well. We are praying for both families. This is a real tragedy and it seems like everyone here regards it as such. Sgt. Nagy has two young sons and I can't get them off my mind.

North Shore communities reeling after shock of police shooting

BEVERLY — The day after a Hamilton police sergeant allegedly shot a Beverly police officer outside a Starbucks, then ended his own life in the parking lot there hours later, the status of the wounded police officer is unclear.

full article at link ..................http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrode...bFO/index.html

UPDATE: Police say cops planned meeting at Beverly Starbucks prior to shooting

Read more: UPDATE: Police say cops planned meeting at Beverly Starbucks prior to shooting - Manchester, MA - Wicked Local Manchester http://www.wickedlocal.com/beverly/n...#ixzz1nVMUZZMF

So... was it a love triangle?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    So... was it a love triangle?
    That was my first thought - perhaps they had the same mistress? Sigh, it's always love or money...

Still no Answers

Hamilton police officer Nagy left a suicide note

Hamilton Police Chief Russell Stevens said he has read the note, though he could not confirm when or where the note was found.

Authorities will also not confirm whether the note outlined any motive for the shooting or whether it was premeditated.

Read morehttp://www.wickedlocal.com/reading/n...#ixzz1oDfHlaGx

Quote Originally Posted by reen View Post
    That was my first thought - perhaps they had the same mistress? Sigh, it's always love or money...
    The shooters wife worked at the same station that the dead officer worked/
    So I am guessing that they may have been involved, and her husband killed him and then himself. maybe
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Actually, the other officer from Beverly is on the road to recovery. He was shot in the wrist and thigh area. The funeral for Sgt. Nagy was held on Friday, with 800 in attendance. His wife works with the Beverly Police, the same station as the wounded officer.

Initially the MA DA was going to shut down the investigation as to motive but back tracked after sufficient protest. Still a confounding thing around here.

Quote Originally Posted by lcookster View Post
    Actually, the other officer from Beverly is on the road to recovery. He was shot in the wrist and thigh area. The funeral for Sgt. Nagy was held on Friday, with 800 in attendance. His wife works with the Beverly Police, the same station as the wounded officer.

Initially the MA DA was going to shut down the investigation as to motive but back tracked after sufficient protest. Still a confounding thing around here.
    BBM.
    Can you tell us more about what you mean by "...shut down the investigation as to motive"? If it WAS a tragedy that resulted from a love triangle, perhaps out of respect to the officers involved an attempt was made to keep that from being divulged. Unfortunately, once the husband made a murder attempt, that is not an option even if you are LE. I am sad for all who were impacted by this tough situation.
    John F. Kennedy

http://www.salemnews.com/local/x9521...bing-motiveFeb

First the DA said not investigating motive as it was not relevant, then back tracked because of public response. This is the link to the article but I don't think I am posting it correctly. Sorry about all that! I will try to find instructions on how to do it. At any rate, I have very mixed feelings about the probe myself. I feel terribly for the two young sons of Sgt. Nagy. Having said that, two off-duty officers had an altercation very early evening in front of a Starbuck's and right by a family oriented Bertucci's with weapon drawn. I think some people feel concerned about a double standard or want to be sure that it was a personal issue and not one which the public should be more concerned about. At the end of the day, it is a tragedy. If I didn't live here, I wouldn't be as drawn to it as I am. I guess I never expected to feel so sympathetic toward someone who committed a crime like this. And I certainly mean no disrespect to the other officer. It illustrates for me that things can happen that are driven by emotion and that human beings are very complicated and unpredictable.

I was looking to see if there were any current article on this. Apparently they aren't going to broadcast the results of their investigation. I totally understand why.

I also see why the people of that community want answers. They wanted an investigation. I'm sure there will be, there always was going to be. They were just, imho, trying to save a little bit of the fallen officer's dignity. They didn't want the final heartbreaking moments of his life, to take away from all the good he'd done during the previous 99.9% of his life,..........serving the community.

Reading into the matter, imho, I think Officer Nagy felt betrayed and took the only action he felt would relieve his unbearable pain. It wasn't right nor was it lawful. But, it was a human reaction.

Bless his heart and all those that personally feel the results of this tragic circumstance.

JMHO
    fran

PS....While I understand the communities desire to know what happened, I hope they'll see this was a personal tragedy that just happened to involve police officers. What happens now, honestly, isn't anyone else's business. It's up to each officer who now miss their brother in arms. It's up to those who were left behind to see and deal with the aftermath. I'm sure many will wonder and even feel guilt, on what they could or should NOT have done that caused the terribly tragic ending.

Hamilton police Sergeant Nagy recalled at funeral Mass as a ‘man of faith’

SALEM -- Hundreds turned out today for the funeral service of Sergeant Kenneth Nagy, the veteran Hamilton police officer who committed suicide a week ago after allegedly shooting a Beverly officer.

.................................................. ...............

Investigators have not yet released a motive, but said they are looking into the relationship between Lantych and the widow, who works for the Beverly Police Department as a domestic violence counselor.

full article at link .................. http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrode...KRP/index.html

Thank you lcookster and fran for sharing your thoughts. I totally agree on all counts.

I believe those who are in public service and other 'giving' professions pay a price for their career choice. They are not financially compensated enough compared to the contribution and sacrifice they make. I think that takes a toll, and may alter the perspective of some. They may take actions that seem very out of character with who they are and the way they have always lived their lives. I wonder if there have been studies investigating the personal cost of service to humanity that people who choose these roles pay.
    John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast