35,000 Postal Service jobs on the chopping block

Reader

Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/23/new..._plant_closings/index.htm?iid=HP_LN&hpt=us_c2

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney) -- The U.S. Postal Service announced on Thursday new plans to consolidate or close 223 mail processing plants, putting 35,000 jobs at stake starting in late May or June.

The move would save $2.1 billion and is part of the agency's broader effort to save $20 billion in the next three years.

The Postal Service is in debt due to declining first-class mail volumes and a congressional mandate to prefund retirement health care benefits.

More at link....

That's sad. USPS earnings put me through school. My dad was a rural mail carrier for 25 years.

I've been waiting for this. I predicted this 15 yrs ago that they had better restructure because of the internet. Poor management, imo. I use to buy online and dreaded if the only shipment option was by USPS, because the pkgs would arrive bashed in and many of the glass objects were broken. UPS or FED-X is the best ....and cheaper. It's a shame.

Postal closures concern election officials, voters

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_...rn-election-officials-voters/?tag=re1.channel

Elections officials in several states are concerned that the closing of mail-processing centers and post offices could disrupt vote-by-mail balloting this year, a potential problem that has led some members of Congress to call for a delay until after the November elections...............

Voting officials are raising a variety of concerns, depending on the circumstances in their states. Meanwhile, postal customers have security concerns about leaving ballots in their mail boxes to be picked up by postal carriers.

In California and Arizona, officials say the closing of processing centers could delay the delivery of mail-in ballots beyond the deadline to have them counted.

More at link....

Had not thought of this but in my state a lot of military service members mail in ballots from overseas also....

Good! That is a federal dept that requires a much needed overhaul . . . Fed Ex anyone?

Let's privatized USPS & stop feeding a cash cow? You know the head of the USPS makes more than the POTUS

I understand that we as a society still count on receiving daily mail.

However, I think that it would be perfectly fine and acceptable if we had "mail days" assigned to our addresses--like trash or recycling pickup days.

They need to do a HUGE press release over several months announcing these changes so billing companies know to allow more time for their invoices to be received and for everyone in general to know to allow more time for mail service.

Carrier jobs could be eliminated, go part-time, and/or see wage reductions by combining routes over various days.

One exception: obtain a post office box and receive mail daily.

Yes, I realize these are jobs we are talking about--however, its also 2012, and think about what other couriers, sorters, and customer service reps get paid? Not much, and they have to be NICE to the clientele....

Look I have friends and family that work for the post office, but the fact is the majority of the lovely employees I get to deal with are overpaid and very unpleasant to deal with--another example of government waste in MY opinion--much like the DMV or any other government employee that clearly does not get evaluated on customer service. They need to be paid competitively (as in, within an "average range") as the benefits are already stellar. Considering that we are all paying their salaries, their customer service skills should be so good they are examples to every business everywhere.

getting off my soapbox now...just sayin

:worms:

Well said. Like those who used to make and develop camera film, technology has left them out of jobs. And their(posatal workers) attitudes won't win them any popularity contests. Walk into a post office and they act like you're bothering them.

It's frustrating that they won't make the cuts necessary to remain viable, but this isn't entirely up to them.

They don't get taxpayer dollars, but they are barred by the government from making changes to delivery schedules, etc. I wonder why they are allowed to close all these locations and cut all these jobs, but they weren't allowed to discontinue Saturday delivery?

The people in charge are clearly oblivious to basic business realities:

Chairman José Serrano (D–NY), of the House Appropriations subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government, which oversees language mandating six day service, said "While I understand the seriousness of the Postal Service's fiscal issues, I remain supportive of a six day delivery schedule. I will be in conversations in coming weeks with the senior postal leadership and the postal unions in an effort to avoid service cuts."

United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find this very sad. Yes, most everyone could give up a day or two of mail delivery. I do not pay any bills on line. I know that many people do not have a computer or even know how to use one - plus with the economy in the shape it is in, many people may have to give up internet connections. Our ancestors waited months for their mail which was their only form of communication with family and friends.

I know I am old and really hesitate to say this but - the more ahead we get, the farther behind we could get. If rural delivery ends, I would have to go to the Post Office to get my mail. Many PO's are being closed - not everyone has a car and those that do, may not be able to afford to drive it, or are a one car family and the bread earner uses it during the hours the PO may be open.

If everyone has to go to the PO to pick up their mail, strict methods must be used to prevent theft. I just see a whole bunch of new problems.

My mom has worked for the United States Postal Service for 30 years... and I will only say that I find it a shame that so many people can just say "Good!!" and not even know anything about what these employees have done and still do to this day and they deserve not only their paycheck, but their benefits just like anyone else who has worked hard all of their lives!

I'm sad to hear this as well. That's an awful lot of jobs to lose in this economy. I thought the idea of eliminating the Saturday delivery was a much better idea. It seems to me the mail delivery now is the best it's ever been in my lifetime. I do buy online and many items are shipped through the USPS. Haven't had any real problems with the condition of the items for awhile.

Did anyone else just get a letter from the USPS asking you to join a group to report daily by phone or internet on mail service? You have to be getting mail everyday...not at a PO box, etc. The letter even gave me a name of a lady with a DC area code to call directly with any questions. ??? I just rec'd it yesterday and threw it out...or I could give you all the details. Anyone?

This is what I was talking about ^^^^^...instead of spending the monies to restructure, they are contracting out IBM to do a research/poll service? How much are they spending on that? Good grief. Cha-ching.

It's like any other business, if you don't take the lead and hold it, other's will "zip" by you. I feel bad that many will lose their jobs, but it just ole plain bad management skills with no foresight and innovation. Email capabilities were the first sign.

Email and IBM's been there......???? Email - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ETA: Early in buying on line, I purchased a pr of large sterling salt and pepper shakers from an online auction for $11. The shipping was around $8. I tracked them from USPS on line and was able to tell the exact time they arrived at my PO. I have a PO Box there and the pkg would be placed in a larger locked box with it's key left in my box. Later that afternoon I arrived at the PO and no pkg. I showed them my print out of when they arrived. Long story short....my near $100 worth of property was never found....and I was refunded the $11, but lost the cost of shipping ($8). The pkg was in the bldg but they could never find it!! If they lose your pkg, they will not refund the shipping.!!!

Good! That is a federal dept that requires a much needed overhaul . . . Fed Ex anyone?

Let's privatized USPS & stop feeding a cash cow? You know the head of the USPS makes more than the POTUS
Yes, privatize, make it for profit, and watch service to rural areas vanish - no money there; service to small towns - will require a subscription, cash deposit yearly. Mid-sized? Probably pick it up at distribution points - no home delivery. Cities? Via distribution boxes at the end of the block, if you're lucky. Door to door for the wealthy - their privilege. Make it for profit, and watch the profiteers tear it down to the bones, then break the bones open and suck the marrow.

Postal Service to cut Saturday mail to trim costs

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...org>&news_id=19302738&src=most_popular_viewed

WASHINGTON (AP) — The financially struggling U.S. Postal Service said Wednesday it will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to disburse packages six days a week, an apparent end-run around an unaccommodating Congress.

The service expects the Saturday mail cutback to begin the week of Aug. 5 and to save about $2 billion annually, said Postmaster General and CEO Patrick R. Donahoe.

"Our financial condition is urgent," Donahoe told a press conference.

The move accentuates one of the agency's strong points — package delivery has increased by 14 percent since 2010, officials say, while the delivery of letters and other mail has declined with the increasing use of email and other Internet services.

Under the new plan, mail would be delivered to homes and businesses only from Monday through Friday, but would still be delivered to post office boxes on Saturdays. Post offices now open on Saturdays would remain open on Saturdays.

Much more at link...with other related links on left.....

I can somewhat see the need - but not entirely. I pay all my bills on line or walk in (like AT&T or SDGE, and even rent). It's rare that I mail anything unless it's to the UK. However, I also purchase a lot on line (Amazon) and truly appreciate those services. What bothers me most is the number of folks who will be without jobs. If my mail takes a day or 2 later to get here - that's fine with me. But it will be hard for those folks to find new jobs :(

MOO

Mel

Yes, privatize, make it for profit, and watch service to rural areas vanish - no money there; service to small towns - will require a subscription, cash deposit yearly. Mid-sized? Probably pick it up at distribution points - no home delivery. Cities? Via distribution boxes at the end of the block, if you're lucky. Door to door for the wealthy - their privilege. Make it for profit, and watch the profiteers tear it down to the bones, then break the bones open and suck the marrow.

IMHO, I see this going the way of trash, sewer, and water service. Charge the consumer via monthly bills to get your mail, just like your trash pick up. I guess if you don't pay your bill, no mail for you!

It certainly wouldn't surprise me.

MOO

Mel

Here is the reason for the cuts from my link above:

The agency's biggest problem — and the majority of the red ink in 2012 — was not due to reduced mail flow but rather to mounting mandatory costs for future retiree health benefits, which made up $11.1 billion of the losses. Without that and other related labor expenses, the mail agency sustained an operating loss of $2.4 billion, lower than the previous year.

The health payments are a requirement imposed by Congress in 2006 that the post office set aside $55 billion in an account to cover future medical costs for retirees. The idea was to put $5.5 billion a year into the account for 10 years. That's $5.5 billion the post office doesn't have.

No other government agency is required to make such a payment for future medical benefits. Postal authorities wanted Congress to address the issue last year, but lawmakers finished their session without getting it done. So officials are moving ahead to accelerate their own plan for cost-cutting.

This is so sad to me. My father told us all this would happen years ago when they first put in the machines to sort the mail. He had to learn to work them and repair them. It cost a lot of money, and they put employees out of work then. Don't know if dad knew home computers would ever come into play back then, but he knew somehow financial failure was on the way. In fact, when he retired there were issues with receiving retirement pay and it was greatly reduced two years afterward. He passed a few years ago in great debt. He did not have enough income coming in to pay all the bills, so he was charging groceries, gas, dr. bills, etc... Dad worked for them after he came home from Vietnam until he retired.

I have no idea what a solution is. I do think that any postal service will need the regulations and penalties that the Government currently offers as private would just run amok. There are a few cases already of postal employees dumping mail b/c they did not want to deliver it, or stealing credit cards or checks. Very few because Federal Prison is the outcome. That would rise tremendously if a private company were in place, and as wfg said above, the costs and availability would be outrageous and impossible.

It seems, if you read the entire recently posted article Reader linked, that the problem is not only being blamed on less mail (which makes no sense with all the internet packages) but also employee benefits. Sorry to say this is everywhere now. Not many get any benefits, I for one, have none and have had my job for nearly 20 years, no retirement, nothing. I have to hope to stay employed until I die, which may not be possible. I don't understand where the funds go, what mismanagement happens, but we are not the America I was taught to believe in anymore. Perhaps space programs (Government funding that could be used more practically and is necessary elsewhere) that cost billions could be stopped. We are not going to live anywhere out there anytime soon, so let another country worry with that.

I don't mind no Saturday mail, but I can tell you the carriers are having it hard enough with the staff cuts and route changes - which is longer harder routes for the still employed carriers. Our business and personal mail in this City is never delivered until well after dark. On Mondays, after no Sunday delivery, you can expect to see letter carriers still delivering up to midnight with little lamps on their hats to see. A friend walked with one during Christmas just because it was dark and did not seem safe to him. Scary stuff.

I use to buy online and dreaded if the only shipment option was by USPS, because the pkgs would arrive bashed in and many of the glass objects were broken. UPS or FED-X is the best ....and cheaper. It's a shame.

We mailed a package to Chicago from the midwest through FED-X or UPS and the package first went to the wrong address, came back was reshipped and came back again! After two weeks we had enough and took it to the post office and package arrived two days later. Our regular postal carrier is awesome and early...the substitute driver is not so good.

We used USPS, UPS and FED-X. Have had good and bad results with all three....mostly very good service from all three.

I'd hate to have only one or two choices for mailing....

How Amazon could save the U.S. Postal Service

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/07/tech/web/amazon-save-us-postal/index.html?hpt=us_c2

........But the engine of the USPS's demise could also save it. After all, how many packages have you received from Amazon lately? And wouldn't you like to get them faster?

Postal Service spokesman John Friess says that while its letter-carrying business is shrinking, its package-delivery business is growing. (Note that postal carriers will still be delivering packages on Saturdays.) In its anxious search to make money any way possible, the agency late last year began testing a same-day delivery service in San Francisco for online purchases. While the experiment, called Metro Post, is starting out small, it also comes at a time when the world's largest online retailer might be looking for a lot of trucks and a lot of drivers who can do same-day delivery cheap............

Good idea....hope it works and can save some of the P.O.'s jobs....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back