CA CA - Sacramento, Wht/HispMale UP2410, 18-25, in Southside Park, Jan'80

ctaylor

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread on this young guy as I came across an article on the case which has a sketch that neither NAMUS or Doe Network has and some more in-depth details that either of those sites have which someone might be able to link to something, for example they have narrowed it down to a man in his 20s and included initials which might be of interest.

NAMUS link - https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2410
The Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase531.html
Hot Case 531

Unidentified White/Hispanic Male

The victim was discovered on January 17, 1980 in Sacramento, Sacramento County, California
Estimated Date of Death: January 17, 1980
Cause of Death: Gunshot wound to the head

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 16-25 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"-5'9" (69"); 147 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; Brown eyes. Brown mustache and reddish-brown goatee.
Marks, Scars: Three scars on lower right abdomen, distinctive scar on left hand fingers, large freckles on the shoulders and upper back.
Clothing: Blue quilted jacket; dark blue pullover sweater; blue "Levis"; white, JC-Penney t-shirt; blue Levi's, white shorts; ; white socks; blue jogging shoes. No jewelry.
Personal Effects : "Salem" cigarettes
Fingerprints: Available
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was located on a set of bleachers at Southside Park sports field in Sacramento, California on January 17, 1980.

Some extra info from this article published today - http://www.modbee.com/2012/02/26/2086147/sacramento-police-hope-for-new.html

Sketches -

363-XQ89G.Em.4.jpg

224-gyu4K.Em.4.jpg

Some more detailed info from today's article -

He was in his 20s, 5 feet 9 inches tall and believed to be white or Hispanic. He weighed 147 pounds at the time of his death; however, stretch marks led police to believe he had lost a "significant" amount of weight.

He had brown hair, brown eyes and a moustache and goatee. He wore a blue denim cap with a short bill; a "LeChevron Collection" jacket; a long-sleeved, navy blue "Sigallo" sweater with a gray collar; prescription eyeglasses; blue jeans; and royal blue Adidas tennis shoes with yellow stripes, size 9.

Inside the shoes, the letters "HS" are scrawled in ink, though police are not sure whether those are the man's initials.

An autopsy revealed his appendix had been removed. He had a partial denture plate on his front upper incisors, and his upper four front teeth were false. A pack of Salem cigarettes and a lighter found next to his body suggested he was a smoker.

Also found next to him was a Burger King cup that detectives traced to a fast-food joint inside the old Greyhound bus station, then at 7th and L streets. Employees remembered selling the man the drink about 8 p.m. the night of his death.

The MP and UID have very different noses but otherwise, Donald Cary Ewalt, missing from El Centro, CA since October 4, 1979 has similar physical statistics. There's nothing mentioned about him having lost weight prior to disappearing, though.

http://charleyproject.org/cases/e/ewalt_donald.html

Donald Cary Ewalt has a page in the missing persons section of Websleuths -- http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138148

I think his DNA is on file because, according to the Riverside County Sheriff's Office, because there is an UID in their county that they would like to exhume to collect his DNA and compare it with Mr. Ewalt's DNA when they have funding available.
http://www.riversidesheriff.org/coroner/unidentified/1980-4518.asp
https://identifyus.org/cases/7201
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1283.html
It is my understanding that Donald Cary Ewalt's fingerprints and dental information is not available.

Other than the differences in the nose (I don't mean to be graphic, but because the man found in Sacramento's cause of death was, according to the article, a bullet wound to the head, could that have distorted his nose?), there is another reason it may not be Mr. Ewalt is his eyes are hazel (they appear to be more blue-green on the photos), I'm not sure if they could be mistaken for brown. El Centro, where Mr. Ewalt went missing, is almost 600 miles from Sacramento, where the UID was found, but I guess he could have gotten there by bus earlier since (from the article) he bought the drink he was found with at the Burger King at the bus station.

From what I found out online first off he went to Burger King which is near the Greyhound station he told someone in there that he was from Los Angeles , Los Angeles main gang is the serenos they wear blue where he was found is maybe a 20 minute walk from the Greyhound station and is that neighborhood that park they wear red and are Nortenos they do not like anyone that wears blue from Los Angeles. The clothes he was wearing especially the shoes being blue he’s definitely A Sereno and if he wasn’t I’m sure that neighborhood thought he was easy target he was by himself I’m sure he look like he had some type of money he had nice Adidas shoes on. Recent dental work could have been done in prison I think they should have looked at the prison records and see who is released a week prior having dental work done in the last week and he’s in the area he’s not from definitely from prison he should have been easy recent dental work could have been done in prison I think they should have looked at the prison records and see who is released a week prior having dental work done in the last week and he’s in the area he’s not from definitely from prison he should have been easy to identify

Also with the weight-loss makes sense from being in prison for a long period of time maybe his family still thinks that he’s in prison also with his prescription glasses something they gave him in prison if no one identified his body in 30 years he had to have a job to get dental work in prescription glasses someone would have found out who he was so it all makes sense he just got out of prison

Also the reason his initials are in his shoes that something they do in prison it all makes sense

2847UMCA

I find this case intriguing for multiple reasons. Unlike most murder cases where a victim is found hours, days, weeks, etc. after they've been killed, this man had only been dead for a matter of minutes when he was discovered. His face and body would have been unusually "fresh" (so to speak) and easy to identify, yet no one has. He was well-dressed with recent dental work and was most certainly not a transient. I do find it odd though that no actual post-mortem pics were released considering how recently he died. The sketches aren't bad, but they kind of look like he should be a character in a cheesy 70s cartoon show or comic strip.

Burger King employees stated that he mentioned that he had recently arrived from LA. I wonder in what context he said this. Was it just basic small talk to the cashier while he waited for his order? Or was he conversing with another patron and the employees just happened to overhear him? Did he say anything else that may have been a clue? Fast food restaurants, particularly those in places like bus stations and airports, are usually pretty busy, so there must have been something that made this particular man stand out in the minds of the employees who see hundreds of customers come and go daily. If the Burger King cup was found near his body, he probably was just there before he died. Perhaps that's why they remember him so well.

His body was found in an empty stadium at around 9pm. What was he (and his killer, for that matter) doing there? That doesn't sound like a place you go to at that hour without a specific reason, and you almost certainly wouldn't just accidentally get lost and wander in even if you're new to the area. Could he have been involved in a drug deal gone wrong? I just can't really think of any other reason why this man would have been essentially trespassing in the sports arena after dark.

What I find particularly curious is the anonymous phone call to police. Since his death occurred so shortly before police arrived, I think it's very possible that the caller either witnessed the murder or was even the killer himself/herself. When they say "minutes prior" for his time of death, I take it they mean less than an hour or else they would have just said "x hours prior". In an empty stadium at that time of night, who else would have entered in such a narrow window of time to discover the victim?

Sadly, with this case being close to 40 years old, I have a feeling that the answers to at least some of these questions have been lost to time.

2847UMCA.jpg
2847UMCA1.jpg
2847UMCA2.jpg

Reconstructions of the victim.

Date of Discovery: January 17, 1980
Location of Discovery: Sacramento, Sacramento County, California
Estimated Date of Death: Minutes prior
State of Remains: Recognizable face
Cause of Death: Homicide by gunshot to the head

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 18-25 years old
Race: White and/or Hispanic
Height: 5'7" to 5'9"
Weight: 147 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown. Brown mustache and reddish-brown goatee.
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Three scars on lower right abdomen, distinctive scar on left hand fingers, large freckles on the shoulders and upper back. Appendix absent. Stretch marks on stomach, indicating he may have previously been obese and had recently lost weight. Probable smoker.

I noticed it said the man had stretchmarks like he had recently lost weight. I wonder if he was reported missing they were looking for a heavier person?

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. He had a partial denture plate on his front upper incisors and his upper four front teeth were false. Some dental work appeared to be recent, possibly being completed a week before he died.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Down-filled, dirty blue quilted LeCheveron Collection jacket; dark blue Sigallo pullover sweater with a gray collar; blue "Levis" white, JC-Penney t-shirt; blue Levi's, white shorts; white socks; blue Adidas jogging shoes with a gold stripe, light blue denim cap with a short bill.
Jewelry: None.
Additional Personal Items: Salemcigarettes, white Bic lighter. A pair of glasses and a cup from a Burger King restaurant was found near the body.

I noticed it said the man had stretchmarks like he had recently lost weight. I wonder if he was reported missing they were looking for a heavier person?

sbm.

Heavier, and with bad/ missing teeth, since some dental work appeared recent too?
Freckles on the back, maybe from sun tanning?
Sounds like he was well-cared for most of his life, maybe recently started a regime to improve himself?
All I can think of from empty stadium and gunshot is drugs.

Also, after some googling I think LeCheveron Collection should be "Le Chevron Collection."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back