Thread: Teen talking on cell, assaulted at movie theater

Teen talking on cell, assaulted at movie theater

I don't know you guys.. people with their cell phones out at movies during dinner etc.. REALLY bug me, I know i wouldn't have slapped the teen, but after i went and got management, i may have verbally let them know how rude they were...

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...-movie-theater

Police spokesman Harold Eley said the teen and her friends were talking and using their cell phones when a woman asked them to stop. The group got up and went to the restroom. While they were gone, the woman went to theater management and complained about the disruption.

Both the woman and the group of teens returned to the theater, and according to Eley, the group continued to talk.

Just before 7 p.m., the woman got up, struck the 13-year-old in the face and left the theater.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peeples For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't have slapped her either, peeples, although I may very well have felt like it. I don't believe in physical punishment, and while I can understand the woman's frustration, her behavior was no better than that of the girl and her friends.

What surprises me is that the girls called the police, as though they were total innocents in the whole matter.

The woman should have gotten up and notified management a second time and demanded the teens be removed and/or banned from the theater, IMO.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velouria For This Useful Post:

I don't go to the theater for movies any more because of unsupervised kids (under 17). No respect for anyone, especially themselves (IMHO & my experience only)
    ~ krimekat ~
    Live in Peace & Peace will live in you

++++++++++++
    Forum Information & Esoterica

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krimekat For This Useful Post:

I don't go anymore-- our local places have rodent problems (I've heard horror stories). 'Nuf said. No go.

I do, however, remember being a kid/teen/young adult at the movies on the weekend, and we were out to have fun, be silly, and goof around. Do you really expect a gaggle of girls to be quiet? We had ushers that enforced the theater policies, and we were, for the most part, in single audience purviews-- much simpler than these multiplexes to manage.

Ultimately, I would have gotten my money back if management refused to handle the complaint right off the bat-- the movie continues to play, after all, and you miss it putting up with carp like that. Tip of the day: sneak away for weekday matinees while the chatterboxes are in school!

I wonder what the flick was?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiche For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by krimekat View Post
    I don't go to the theater for movies any more because of unsupervised kids (under 17). No respect for anyone, especially themselves (IMHO & my experience only)
    Don't your theatres have the no cell, no speaking policy?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x_files For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't have slapped her either, but I probably would have applauded whomever lost it and did.

The woman asked them to stop. They started up again. It's not like it was unprovoked attack. Here's hoping the girl learned her lesson and shuts her pie hole at further movie showings.

Perhaps my opinion is harsh, but there are many people in the area of these people who have paid for their tickets ($8+) and are trying to enjoy the movie. This girl, and other teens like her, ruin the experience for many, many people.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffetoflies For This Useful Post:

I hate it when people talk in movie theaters or driving. I would not assault them, but I can understand why.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

I think this woman was 100% wrong to have slapped the girl. If it were my daughter I would track the woman down and do a little slapping of my own!

I mean, come on - you teach a kid, someone else's kid at that, "respect" by slapping them in the face? No. This woman is a bully, and that's all there is to it.

I didn't click the link but I hope she's charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The girl was right to call the law on her. I'm shocked at the support that I see here for this woman's actions. Perceived rudeness is no excuse to act violently towards a child.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Constance For This Useful Post:

Etilema is offline Being kind to the cruel results in being cruel to the kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Constance View Post
    I think this woman was 100% wrong to have slapped the girl. If it were my daughter I would track the woman down and do a little slapping of my own!

I mean, come on - you teach a kid, someone else's kid at that, "respect" by slapping them in the face? No. This woman is a bully, and that's all there is to it.

I didn't click the link but I hope she's charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The girl was right to call the law on her. I'm shocked at the support that I see here for this woman's actions. Perceived rudeness is no excuse to act violently towards a child.
    I agree with you. There was no justification for this assault. I don't think the fact the victim was a child lessens it in any way (because it seems some people are talking about this as a disciplinary situation, rather than an assault).

Rudeness is no justification for violence, period.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Etilema For This Useful Post:

I'm certainly not saying it's right, but I do understand.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:

In all fairness to teenagers, the problems I've had the past several times I've been to the theater have involved adults. In fact, haven't had trouble with teens for a long time!

This is why I don't go to the movies any more.
    ~~~Cynical Optimist~~~

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by buffetoflies View Post
    I wouldn't have slapped her either, but I probably would have applauded whomever lost it and did.
    I feel the same, more then once I've wanted to slap someone for doing this or something like it. BUT I've never acted on it.
    Staffies They're Softer Than You Think

"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." Benny Fallout: New Vegas

"What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilachaze For This Useful Post: