This Single Mom makes me proud!

Quiche

Reaction score
Since we're constantly awash in stories about parents whose destructive temperaments hurt, maim, kill, or simply let down their kids day in and day out-- this story stands out like a beacon of relief.

Kudos to the Fox affiliate for this type of coverage, we need more like it, imo.

:seeya:

Single Mom Sells Belongings On Craig’s List For Car

GARDNER, Kan — If you’ve ever checked out Craig’s List, you know you can buy just about anything. Well, one ad caught our eye on Tuesday with the headline, “Everything Must Go.” The story behind that headline involves a single mom who is trying to sell almost everything she owns to buy a car she desperately needs.

http://fox4kc.com/2012/02/28/single-mom-sells-stuff-on-craigs-list-for-car/

According to the comments, someone donated a mini van to her.

On another board I frequent, a young family with a child who has Cerebral Palsy and is wheelchair bound, a SAHM and a father who had lost his job, lost their family van to repo.

The mother called and asked if they could come and get the wheelchair that was in the van when it was taken, because it was the only way their child could get around. After speaking with the mother, the repo company bought that van and gave it to the family.

I cried huge tears when I learned about that.

The scrapyard my fiancee (I love calling him that, giggle) works for donate the vehicles that are rebuildable.

They usually get 15 -20 vehicles a week, that might be fixable. Those are put to the back of the yard. The guys all work on them in the downtime. 5 or so of those are usually found to have a much bigger problem than was originally thought (bent frame, engine fire, engine seized.) Those go to the crusher. The other 10 or so per week are fixed, one part at a time, by what comes into the yard. They usually finish about 1 a week.

These guys work in their spare time, getting under cars in the snow and rain, when it's not their job, not getting paid at all for it, to give it away to someone that needs it. They look for people like the mom in this story.

The last person that they gave a car too was a woman who cried when she signed the paperwork on her car to turn it over. She told the office manager that all she could do was walk homeand wait for her husband to die. Their endgine threw a rod the week before on their way back from Detroit, where he gets the dialysis treatments that keep him alive, three days a week. They had her new minivan finished and delivered to her door in time that he didn't miss a single treatment.

The owners are in on this, and they look for people on the news and craigslist that need help like this mom does. I wish more of the scrapyards would do this. The owners (my fiancee's cousins) say that it costs them maybe $50 a week to do this, and they are able to give away 1-5 vehicles a month, depending on the weather, how many auto parts come in, and how many vehicles come in. For reference, the scrapyard makes that money back off a central air unit, once their processors tear it down. It's a fair trade.

The scrapyard my fiancee (I love calling him that, giggle) works for donate the vehicles that are rebuildable.

They usually get 15 -20 vehicles a week, that might be fixable. Those are put to the back of the yard. The guys all work on them in the downtime. 5 or so of those are usually found to have a much bigger problem than was originally thought (bent frame, engine fire, engine seized.) Those go to the crusher. The other 10 or so per week are fixed, one part at a time, by what comes into the yard. They usually finish about 1 a week.

These guys work in their spare time, getting under cars in the snow and rain, when it's not their job, not getting paid at all for it, to give it away to someone that needs it. They look for people like the mom in this story.

The last person that they gave a car too was a woman who cried when she signed the paperwork on her car to turn it over. She told the office manager that all she could do was walk homeand wait for her husband to die. Their endgine threw a rod the week before on their way back from Detroit, where he gets the dialysis treatments that keep him alive, three days a week. They had her new minivan finished and delivered to her door in time that he didn't miss a single treatment.

The owners are in on this, and they look for people on the news and craigslist that need help like this mom does. I wish more of the scrapyards would do this. The owners (my fiancee's cousins) say that it costs them maybe $50 a week to do this, and they are able to give away 1-5 vehicles a month, depending on the weather, how many auto parts come in, and how many vehicles come in. For reference, the scrapyard makes that money back off a central air unit, once their processors tear it down. It's a fair trade.

This simply made my day!!!

Thank you for sharing :)

not my kids, that's so great! I wish I knew how to fix things.

A few months ago, an older fella showed up at my door looking to mow grass. He was pushing a mower around the neighborhood looking for work. I hired him to mow the grass and gave him an old pick up that was in my driveway. It didn't run but I felt that it was easily fixable, if you knew how. He broke down in tears and said his son had just finished mechanics school and they would get it running again.

Now he's riding around with the mower in back, in style. :D

Wow! and it's tax deductible for the owner of the "scrapyard" lol

So sad to read the comments, especially from some that claim to be family members. Sounds like my family, totally lacking any compassion. I feel bad for her, being publicly shamed by her family for allowing her story to be broadcast and pretty much saying that her problems are all of her own making. Isn't that the case with many of us?
Whatever bad choices she may have made her kids don't deserve to suffer and she made an unselfish decision to sell her stuff to buy a car so her child could get to appointments.
I'm sorry she has such an unsupportive family.

So sad to read the comments, especially from some that claim to be family members. Sounds like my family, totally lacking any compassion. I feel bad for her, being publicly shamed by her family for allowing her story to be broadcast and pretty much saying that her problems are all of her own making. Isn't that the case with many of us?
Whatever bad choices she may have made her kids don't deserve to suffer and she made an unselfish decision to sell her stuff to buy a car so her child could get to appointments.
I'm sorry she has such an unsupportive family.
Yeah, this is a mother who has her priorities straight, even if it means sleeping on the floor. Who needs a wine hutch when her daughter's needs are so much greater! I applaud this woman for what she's doing.

She is selling her wine hutch, dining room table, a high chair, a baby gate, an office set and much more. She’s even selling her bed. What isn’t up for sale is anything that belongs to her kids. Still, the single mom says all the stuff is replaceable, but her daughter Lauren is not.

That is one amazing mum.

The commentators should hang their heads in shame. As my Nan used to say,"If you haven't anything nice to say then shut up"

NMK and Ada, thanks for sharing your personal stories-- it really is a time in our nation's history to look beyond the tips of our own noses and decide to extend our individual talents/knacksforthings/and idle excesses to one another. Being "neighborly" is kind of an old fashioned idea (if not downright foreign), especially in the suburbs where I find myself...

The whole "pay it forward" concept needs an update, imo, it brings up financial stuff for a lot of folks. I kind of like the idea of re-purposing the term "happy hour" to mean an hour (a regular old weekday hour) that's set aside to bring happiness to someone else. Hmmm, I like it very much. :)

(Heh, I think I've found my New Year's resolution... a little late, but I'm not going to hold it against myself.) :seeya:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back