Thread: Jewish School to Give up Shot at State Championship to Observe the Sabbath

Jewish School to Give up Shot at State Championship to Observe the Sabbath

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...serve-sabbath/

The Robert M. Beren Academy in Houston will forfeit its semifinal playoff spot in the Class 2A basketball championships this weekend because the game falls on a Friday night, the start of the Jewish Sabbath.

Founded in the late 1970s, the TAPPS league is made up of 220 schools. In a statement posted on its website by the TAPPS executive board, the league said at the time of its organization, no member schools observed the Sabbath on Saturday. At the same time, the bylaws forbid games on Sunday, a nod to Christian Sabbath observance.
    Does the board realize what <modsnip> they look like?
    Last edited by JBean; 03-01-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: name calling

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angelmom For This Useful Post:

rossva is offline George Zimmerman: Innocent until proven guilty.
    Were the bylaws in effect when the Robert M. Beren Academy in Houston joined the TAPPS league? Did they ever petition to have the bylaws changed?

From the link: The league statement also said Beren Academy first met with league officials in June 2009 to discuss joining TAPPS.

"At that time, the Board pointed out that TAPPS schedules its team sports championship on Fridays and Saturdays, which would conflict with Beren’s observation of their Sabbath,” the statement said. “The Board pointed out that the posted schedule for the state tournament would be followed and no changes made, unless weather related or similar conditions existed."

Just because the Board won't change rules established in the 1970's for a school that just joined, and knew the bylaws when they joined, the Board looks like <modsnip>?
    Last edited by JBean; 03-01-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: name calling repeat
    " When ever you find yourself on the side of majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    - Mark Twain

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossva For This Useful Post:

I did not read the story -- only going by what the title of this thread says.

Good for them, for putting their faith ahead of a basketball game. Walking in faith isn't easy, and sometimes you have to make hard choices. This is one of them.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

rossva is offline George Zimmerman: Innocent until proven guilty.
    Shame on Robert M. Beren Academy for putting it's students in the position to have to make a choice like this. Actually, I wonder if the students had any input into the decision? It was June 2009 that Robert M. Beren Academy first started discussing joining the TAPPS, how long after that was it before they actually joined? Robert M. Beren Academy knew the bylaws when they joined. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire thing is a publicity stunt by Robert M. Beren Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post

Good for them, for putting their faith ahead of a basketball game. Walking in faith isn't easy, and sometimes you have to make hard choices. This is one of them.
    " When ever you find yourself on the side of majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    - Mark Twain

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossva For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post

I agree. I'm sure it's hard for the kids on the team now, but the lesson that faith comes first will stick with them long after memories of the game would have.

An accommodation should have been made for them out of respect, IMO.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...serve-sabbath/

Does the board realize what <modsnip> they look like?
    They are NOT whatever you called them, they are Orthodox Jews- Friday night to Saturday sunset is OUR Sabbath, if you were a religious Christian, would you play a game on Sunday???
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post:

She was saying the board that wouldn't move the game for the kids was wrong, I think.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

Jewish School's Sabbath Game Rescheduled

Beren Academy, a Jewish day school forced to forfeit their appearance in the Class 2A TAPPS state semifinals due to the game being scheduled during the Jewish Sabbath, will get to play after all, the Houston Chronicle reports.
    According to the paper, The Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools received a temporary restraining order that allows Beren to play.
    The school had filed two requests to reschedule their 9 p.m. Friday semifinal game against Dallas Covenant outside of the Jewish Sabbath -- sundown Friday to sundown Saturday -- but both requests were unanimously voted down by the TAPPS board even though several other reschedule requests had been granted in the past.
    link

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

Edd Burleson, the executive director of TAPPS, said the governing body will abide by the restraining order and is making the necessary arrangements. Though Beren officials had opposed legal action, some players and parents filed suit in U.S. District Court alleging a violation of religious*freedoms.
    The school released a statement Thursday that said, in part, "We are thankful to the TAPPS for ultimately making the right decision. The school administration and board was not involved in any legal action and we regret that it took a lawsuit filed parents to bring about this decision. ... We are very proud of our basketball team, the Beren Stars. Not only have the boys demonstrated considerable skill on the court this season, they have handled the stress of the past week with extraordinary maturity and*composure."
    link

I'm ever so pleased! How many times do we see religion kicked out of schools. This sends a clear message that this is important, and I'm sure it is important to some of the children.

In band (which many people don't call a sport, but I do) our by-laws indicate that there will be no competitions on Sunday (a nod to Christianity many may say). I would hope the game could be moved to earlier in the day in time for candle lighting at 5:31 PM.

I think it's a good example to the kids and hope the school sees that as well.

Just my opinion. Thanks.

Mel

ETA: I'm sorry to hear that it took a lawsuit to get the players back in the game. That's just unfortunate -- can't any argument be decided anymore without a dang lawsuit involved? Ughhhh...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rossva View Post
    Shame on Robert M. Beren Academy for putting it's students in the position to have to make a choice like this. Actually, I wonder if the students had any input into the decision? It was June 2009 that Robert M. Beren Academy first started discussing joining the TAPPS, how long after that was it before they actually joined? Robert M. Beren Academy knew the bylaws when they joined. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire thing is a publicity stunt by Robert M. Beren Academy.
    Actually, I think it's a wonderful opportunity for these young people to stretch their faith.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

I am happy they get to play. I am not sure why the board wouldn't grant their request while reportedly granting some other rescheduling requests in the past.
    Just my opinion

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Now let's see, no games on Friday night because it is the original sabbath; no games on Sunday because it's the sabbath celebrated by most Christians; and let's not have games on Saturday because (a) it's still the Jewish sabbath until sundown and (b) some of the players might be Seventh Day Adventists.

That still leaves Monday through Thursday, except when religious holidays fall during the week.

I certainly agree that if the bylaws exempt Sunday for Christians, then an adjustment should be made for Orthodox Jews on Friday. But personally I don't define "religious freedom" as forcing the rest of the world to accommodate your rules (whether you are in the majority or not).

And if "walking in faith" means following random ancient rules, by all means count me out.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Now let's see, no games on Friday night because it is the original sabbath; no games on Sunday because it's the sabbath celebrated by most Christians; and let's not have games on Saturday because (a) it's still the Jewish sabbath until sundown and (b) some of the players might be Seventh Day Adventists.

That still leaves Monday through Thursday, except when religious holidays fall during the week.

I certainly agree that if the bylaws exempt Sunday for Christians, then an adjustment should be made for Orthodox Jews on Friday. But personally I don't define "religious freedom" as forcing the rest of the world to accommodate your rules (whether you are in the majority or not).

And if "walking in faith" means following random ancient rules, by all means count me out.
    They can play on Friday. In fact they will play on Friday. The game was just moved to several hours earlier. Which hardly seems like such a huge deal, does it?
    Just my opinion

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    They can play on Friday. In fact they will play on Friday. The game was just moved to several hours earlier. Which hardly seems like such a huge deal, does it?
    No, not at all. And I'm sorry I wasn't clear: since the bylaws already prohibit Sunday games out of respect to Christians, I am entirely in favor of extending the same courtesy by moving a Friday night game out of respect to Jews.

My quarrel is with the legal definition of "religious freedom" put forth by the plaintiffs: that the rest of the world has to change its policies so that believers can follow whichever ancient rule they choose to observe.

In the past, for example, BYU has turned down bowl invitations that would force it to play on a Sunday, but they didn't sue to make the bowl reschedule the game. To me, the former is religious freedom (nobody can make BYU play on a day it considers holy); the latter is something else entirely.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

On this point we agree- I personally am not Orthodox, but the school is, so I fully understand why they chose to forfeit the game originally, when the board did not make accommodations for them. I would assume since it is an Orthodox school, that they wouldn't accept students who are of the SeventhDay Adventist faith, but I could be wrong...
    As for your other point, I wholeheartedly believe in separation of church and state - I prefer freedom from religion!
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    On this point we agree- I personally am not Orthodox, but the school is, so I fully understand why they chose to forfeit the game originally, when the board did not make accommodations for them. I would assume since it is an Orthodox school, that they wouldn't accept students who are of the SeventhDay Adventist faith, but I could be wrong...
    As for your other point, I wholeheartedly believe in separation of church and state - I prefer freedom from religion!
    Sorry, Linas. I must have set some sort of record for Most Confusing Post Ever. I know who the Seventh Day Adventists are: they have a church at the end of my street. I was just listing different groups that celebrate different holy days.

For the record, I understand the original decision to forfeit the game and I applaud the association for making the minor change necessary to allow the Orthodox students to play. (After all, the association was already accommodating Christians by not playing on Sunday.)

But I'm with you on "freedom from religion." Religious freedom does not mean the rest of the world has to conform to your own religious ideals. Since such ideals conflict, the world would grind to a halt in the attempt to accommodate everyone all of the time.

That was supposed to be the point of my listing of various holy days when, in theory, games could not be played. If we accommodated everyone all the time, the entire weekend would be black-out days.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Arrow

Sorry, Linas. I must have set some sort of record for Most Confusing Post Ever. I know who the Seventh Day Adventists are: they have a church at the end of my street. I was just listing different groups that celebrate different holy days.

For the record, I understand the original decision to forfeit the game and I applaud the association for making the minor change necessary to allow the Orthodox students to play. (After all, the association was already accommodating Christians by not playing on Sunday.)

But I'm with you on "freedom from religion." Religious freedom does not mean the rest of the world has to conform to your own religious ideals. Since such ideals conflict, the world would grind to a halt in the attempt to accommodate everyone all of the time.

That was supposed to be the point of my listing of various holy days when, in theory, games could not be played. If we accommodated everyone all the time, the entire weekend would be black-out days.
    Yes. IIRC, Seventh Day Adventists observe the same sabbath period that Jews do- Fri. night to Sat night., so they wouldn't play Sat. games.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post: