Microsoft devotes entire department to filtering spam from Gates' inbox

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Forget trying to flood Bill Gates' e-mail inbox with junk. The Microsoft Corp. chairman receives four million e-mails a day, but practically an entire department at the company he founded is dedicated to ensuring that nothing unwanted gets into his inbox, the company's chief executive said Thursday. "There are two people who probably are the No.1 spam recipients in the world," Steve Ballmer said. "Bill Gates (is first) because he is Bill Gates. Bill literally receives four million pieces of e-mail per day, most of it spam."

Spam or junk e-mails are unsolicited messages, generally advertising goods or services and usually sent to many e-mail accounts simultaneously, often indiscriminately.

Ballmer said Microsoft has special technology that just filters spam intended for Gates.

"Literally there's a whole department almost that takes care of it," he said.

Ballmer did not name the second most-spammed e-mail account, but said he also ranks among the world's top spam recipients because he hands out his e-mail address - stevebmicrosoft.com - whenever he travels or speaks.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/11/18/719596-ap.html

well when you have nothing better to do with your money (like feed homeless children; help the disabled; build a new park...) what else but start a new department.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! uggg

IF we all used Apple Macintosh computers instead of PC's with windows........we'd never have to email anyone. They don't get that pop up trash nor do you have to worry about Viruses! What a concept.
Cass........do you use Macs or PC's.........?

xxxxxxxxooooooo
mama

blueclouds said:
well when you have nothing better to do with your money (like feed homeless children; help the disabled; build a new park...) what else but start a new department.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! uggg
One should really give credit where credit is due. Bill and Melinda Gates have already donated billions of dollars to many charitable causes. They top the list of philanthropists and have pledged to spend half their net wealth, i.e. 30 or so billion, to help those who are less fortunate...

Check out the http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm for more info into their charitable work.

Concerning his email. What can you do? With so much email, there's not much he can do to sort it all... The problem lies with the spammer, not the guy trying to sort out the mess!

Jacobi said:
One should really give credit where credit is due. Bill and Melinda Gates have already donated billions of dollars to many charitable causes. They top the list of philanthropists and have pledged to spend half their net wealth, i.e. 30 or so billion, to help those who are less fortunate...

Check out the http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm for more info into their charitable work.

Concerning his email. What can you do? With so much email, there's not much he can do to sort it all... The problem lies with the spammer, not the guy trying to sort out the mess!
He COULD just change his email address. He doesn't HAVE to be BillG@microsoft.com. if he changed it to hdywjdhfsg@microsoft.com, no one would ever figure it out (unless they read here, of course)

Ghostwheel said:
He COULD just change his email address. He doesn't HAVE to be BillG@microsoft.com. if he changed it to hdywjdhfsg@microsoft.com, no one would ever figure it out (unless they read here, of course)
I think you may have found the solution to the the world's spam problem! :D

Joking aside, the work and r&d done on spam filtering done specifically for Bill will eventually filter down to the common man. The research will have wide reaching impact, beyond just email filtering, in the areas of data clustering and classification and intelligent databases. In fact, beyond Longhorn (the new Windows), the file system will do away with Files/Folders entirely, and in its place will come a database on which the spam filtering technology will help extract and sort useful data.

Jacobi said:

Jacobi.......I like Bill Gates. He gives away lot's of money. Everyone who is very wealthy give's away lot's of money. It they didn't they be paying income tax on it. IT a HUGE taxbreak for them. However, I still like Bill Gates. Nothing to not like about him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxooo
mama

All hail Bill Gates!

bill-gates.jpg

:D

Yeah, he got arrested over a traffic violation. I'll bet you're wishing they would have executed him?

Jessie Jackson's got an arrest record longer than my arm. He's still a good man.

Jeana (DP) said:
Yeah, he got arrested over a traffic violation. I'll bet you're wishing they would have executed him?

Jessie Jackson's got an arrest record longer than my arm. He's still a good man.
DP, I think Bill Gates is a great man. I think you may have missed my post all the way at the top....

Jacobi said:
DP, I think Bill Gates is a great man. I think you may have missed my post all the way at the top....

I guess I didn't understand the contradicting posts!! LOL Why bring up the arrest????

Jeana (DP) said:
I guess I didn't understand the contradicting posts!! LOL Why bring up the arrest????
I just wanted to remind everyone how greatness can come from even the puniest of nerdlingers. That's what makes him even greater in my estimation! That mugshot is the stuff of legend!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back