1056 users online (224 members and 832 guests)  

Websleuths News

How We Can Help Those Affected By The Tornados

There are several things we can do, easy-peasy, from our communities that will help those who have been affected by the super outbreak of tornados today.

1. Give blood. You may not realize it, but if you give blood in your community, there will be more blood available in communities who need it. So go give a little of the red stuff...you'll be fine, it takes only a little while, and it will save a life.

2. Do some spring cleaning early. Donate what goods you no longer use or love to Red Cross, Salvation Army, or another national charities (there is a huge catholic network of charities that will help anyone who needs it). There will be a huge call for blankets, clothing (children's especially), and shoes.

3. Send cash ONLY to those charities that YOU trust. I trust Red Cross, Salvation Army, and a few others, but YOU make the decision. Even if it's only $5, that's $5 which will make a difference to someone who's lost everything.

4. Volunteer. If you are near enough, go see the Red Cross, Salvation Army, your local school and/or outreach centers, and see if they're going to go to the area with supplies. Go with them, or buy some stuff and drop it off for them to deliver. There are so many ways to help like this; even the Boy/Girl Scouts might be doing something, so check with them, too.

5. Pray.

Anyone else have any hints or helps? Those in the area, can you post up some of the local needs and ways we can help?

I am praying for everyone. This is not over yet, and it's going to be a few days before we know everything...and it will be sad and bad. We can help, even if it's just to donate $5 for a case of water. And that will matter. It will make a difference. And it will help.

Best-
    Herding Cats

great post.

thank you.

If you belong to a church or community organization, you might try to get up some interest in some type of money/food/clothing or household goods drive.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Charity Navigator weighs-in here, as of this hour (look for more later):

Charities Respond To Midwest Tornadoes

We got lucky in GA. only need a few chainsaws and some open bed trucks. There was a 65 yr old lady who was in her house alone when a tree fell on it. She is o. K. My heart goes out to those who lost everything and my condolences to those who lost family members.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Clean out your sock drawer. Donate those to charity, or send them direct with a church group. Everyone has extra socks in the back of the dresser, and a dry set of socks feels like a luxury when you're struggling with the simply survival aspects.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

March is Red Cross month! Here's a link to their website....

http://www.redcross.org/

HerdingCats, This thread is a great idea! Thank you!

I'd like to add to the other posters' great suggestions.

Tarps---these are great for covering roofs or for temporarily covering/preserving salvagable belongings during cleanup or for placing rubbish on to drag to the road for pickup.

Saws---hammers---nails---staple guns and staples---bottled water-----ice---diapers---baby food and formula---baby wipes---trash bags.

These are just a few things that I recall were much appreciated by the victims when I assisted the RC during Hurricane Hugo.

wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

I took some clothing to Moscow Ohio today and left them at a church that was helping out. I asked him what they needed and he said food of course, but also they needed baby items. Like diapers, wipes and baby food.

I got to thinking after we left and I would bet that many were left without coats. And we still have quite a few cold days to go through yet. So I think I will be cleaning my closets and making another trip.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Great Reminder thread!

I got busy and cleaned out my closet and took them to my church. They always donate to local causes. Hubby donated tools and work boots, and
    coats. Also went out and bought lots a batteries.

FOX59 (Indiana News) is taking in contributions on behalf of charities working in the area - can call 317-493-2300 or go to fox59.com/help

Also the Bank of America set up a fund for the burrial of the Babcock family, Parents and three little children killed by the storm. I haven't been able to find a link but it would be worth donating to give them a proper burial.

Any Bank of America branch can take donations on behalf of the babcock family fund.

Facebook Reuniting Tornado Victims with Memories
    A digital "lost and found" site is helping people reconnect with important photos and documents scattered by the tornadoes
    http://news.discovery.com/tech/faceb...es-110430.html

http://www.facebook.com/ReturningMem...TornadoVictims

http://www.facebook.com/PicturesandD...AprilTornadoes
    Last edited by mysteriew; 03-08-2012 at 12:11 AM.