How We Can Help Those Affected By The Tornados

Herding Cats

Reaction score
There are several things we can do, easy-peasy, from our communities that will help those who have been affected by the super outbreak of tornados today.

1. Give blood. You may not realize it, but if you give blood in your community, there will be more blood available in communities who need it. So go give a little of the red stuff...you'll be fine, it takes only a little while, and it will save a life.

2. Do some spring cleaning early. Donate what goods you no longer use or love to Red Cross, Salvation Army, or another national charities (there is a huge catholic network of charities that will help anyone who needs it). There will be a huge call for blankets, clothing (children's especially), and shoes.

3. Send cash ONLY to those charities that YOU trust. I trust Red Cross, Salvation Army, and a few others, but YOU make the decision. Even if it's only $5, that's $5 which will make a difference to someone who's lost everything.

4. Volunteer. If you are near enough, go see the Red Cross, Salvation Army, your local school and/or outreach centers, and see if they're going to go to the area with supplies. Go with them, or buy some stuff and drop it off for them to deliver. There are so many ways to help like this; even the Boy/Girl Scouts might be doing something, so check with them, too.

5. Pray.

Anyone else have any hints or helps? Those in the area, can you post up some of the local needs and ways we can help?

I am praying for everyone. This is not over yet, and it's going to be a few days before we know everything...and it will be sad and bad. We can help, even if it's just to donate $5 for a case of water. And that will matter. It will make a difference. And it will help.

Best-
Herding Cats

If you belong to a church or community organization, you might try to get up some interest in some type of money/food/clothing or household goods drive.

We got lucky in GA. only need a few chainsaws and some open bed trucks. There was a 65 yr old lady who was in her house alone when a tree fell on it. She is o. K. My heart goes out to those who lost everything and my condolences to those who lost family members.

Clean out your sock drawer. Donate those to charity, or send them direct with a church group. Everyone has extra socks in the back of the dresser, and a dry set of socks feels like a luxury when you're struggling with the simply survival aspects.

March is Red Cross month! Here's a link to their website....

http://www.redcross.org/

HerdingCats, This thread is a great idea! Thank you!

I'd like to add to the other posters' great suggestions.

Tarps---these are great for covering roofs or for temporarily covering/preserving salvagable belongings during cleanup or for placing rubbish on to drag to the road for pickup.

Saws---hammers---nails---staple guns and staples---bottled water-----ice---diapers---baby food and formula---baby wipes---trash bags.

These are just a few things that I recall were much appreciated by the victims when I assisted the RC during Hurricane Hugo.

wm

I took some clothing to Moscow Ohio today and left them at a church that was helping out. I asked him what they needed and he said food of course, but also they needed baby items. Like diapers, wipes and baby food.

I got to thinking after we left and I would bet that many were left without coats. And we still have quite a few cold days to go through yet. So I think I will be cleaning my closets and making another trip.

Great Reminder thread!

I got busy and cleaned out my closet and took them to my church. They always donate to local causes. Hubby donated tools and work boots, and
coats. Also went out and bought lots a batteries.

FOX59 (Indiana News) is taking in contributions on behalf of charities working in the area - can call 317-493-2300 or go to fox59.com/help

Also the Bank of America set up a fund for the burrial of the Babcock family, Parents and three little children killed by the storm. I haven't been able to find a link but it would be worth donating to give them a proper burial.

Any Bank of America branch can take donations on behalf of the babcock family fund.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charharr
Back