1200 users online (262 members and 938 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    REPORT: New lead in 20-year-old missing teen case
    Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:42 pm
    By Y.C. Orozco

[...]

The father of Jessica Cain, who disappeared in 1997 when she was 17, has revealed to ABC13 that he was informed by police authorities that a new lead has prompted a new search this week in a private field at the 6100 block of East Orem Drive.

Houston police also confirmed to Eyewitness News that Williams Reece, 56, is being investigated in connection to Cainís disappearance.

[...]

Houston police are expected to resume the search Friday morning. The Texas Rangers, Friendswood and La Marque Police and crews with Texas Equusearch have also been on the scene.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Police continue days' long search for Jessica Cain's body in SE Houston field
    Police: Search underway for Jessica Cain's body in SE Houston

[...]

The search continues after last night's bombshell development: Cain's father told Eyewitness News police notified him they have received a lead about his daughter's whereabouts and are digging in a southeast Houston field for her body.

http://abc13.com/news/police-resume-...field/1218344/
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I know this comes as a surprise to many. In retrospect, looking at the timeline (see previous posts) it fits right in. Of course, we didn't know about Tiffany Johnston until last year. So what was he up to in June 1997?

====================
    Police also confirmed that William Reece, 56, now is being investigated in connection to Cain's disappearance. Reece, who is currently behind bars for an unrelated aggravated kidnapping conviction, was released recently on a bench warrant to Galveston County. On Wednesday, he was on the property where authorities are digging. He used to live less than four miles away.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/police-s...years/1220099/
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Reece served time in an Oklahoma prison in the late 1980s for kidnapping and rape. Why did they ever let this monster out? Jessica and Tiffany have some similar physical characteristics and Both of their vehicles were found abandoned with the keys still inside.

Was Reece living in OK and just working in Texas? Seems like he did a lot of traveling back and forth, if he is a suspect in Smithers case he would have been in TX in April 1997, and his DNA matched in Tiffany's murder in OK on July 26, 1997 and then a suspect again in Jessicas case mid-August 1997.

My biggest question is what evidence do they have to support this dig? Other than Reece claiming to have buried her there, surely LE isn't dumb enough to take his word for it and let him enjoy some time outside of the pen.
    Who is Walker County Jane Doe?

"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." Genesis 28:15

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssav View Post
    Reece served time in an Oklahoma prison in the late 1980s for kidnapping and rape. Why did they ever let this monster out? Jessica and Tiffany have some similar physical characteristics and Both of their vehicles were found abandoned with the keys still inside.

Was Reece living in OK and just working in Texas? Seems like he did a lot of traveling back and forth, if he is a suspect in Smithers case he would have been in TX in April 1997, and his DNA matched in Tiffany's murder in OK on July 26, 1997 and then a suspect again in Jessicas case mid-August 1997.

My biggest question is what evidence do they have to support this dig? Other than Reece claiming to have buried her there, surely LE isn't dumb enough to take his word for it and let him enjoy some time outside of the pen.
    He was incarcerated in Oklahoma 1987-93. In 1997, he was working construction in Texas, but probably travelled back to Oklahoma occasionally. He has family in or near Bethany, and he was acquainted with Tiffany's mother. She met him working as a waitress, and his mother "did ironing" for Tiffany's mother.

It's worth noting that he was in Harris County in October, 1997, when he was arrested for Sandra Sapaugh's kidnapping.

In October, five months after she was abducted, Webster police brought Sapaugh in to look at a lineup. She picked out Reece as her attacker, and he was charged.
    http://www.houstonpress.com/news/loo...-laura-6570210
    When interviewed in prison by a Texas Ranger in 2013, "Reese denied knowing Tiffany but stated he was a friend to Tiffany's mother, father and sister," court documents show.

Reece initially denied being in Oklahoma at the time of the victim's death but later admitted he was in the state, documents show.

On the day of the abduction, "Reece made a phone call with his AT&T calling card from a pay phone at I-40 and Mustang Road (in) Yukon," documents state.

http://newsok.com/article/5449815
    April 1997 - Laura Smither, kidnapped and murdered (Reece long time suspect, never charged)
    May 1997 - Sandra Sapaugh, abducted, but escaped (Reece convicted, sentenced to 60 years.)
    July 1997 - Tiffany Johnston, kidnapped and murdered in Oklahoma (Reece charged)
    Aug 1997 - Jessica Cain disappeared
    Sep 1997 - Committed theft in Brazoria County (sentenced to three years in 2007)
    Oct 1997 - Reece arrested in Webster for abduction of Sapaugh. Convicted in May 1998.

I'm curious, too, about what led to the search. One possibility is that he is facing murder charges in Oklahoma, and possibly ready to be charged with Laura Smither's murder. Perhaps his cooperation in Jessica's case is part of a deal to beat a death penalty. Just a guess, and no, I don't think LE is going through this exercise based only on his word. But again, that's jmo.
    Last edited by bessie; 02-27-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added content
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

http://www.news9.com/story/31320512/...se-in-oklahoma

A man charged with murder for an 18-year-old cold case in Oklahoma may now be connected to a mystery unfolding down in Texas.

Police and Texas Rangers are digging up a field in Southeast Houston, and news crews there say it may be connected to some other cold cases in the area.

Convicted felon William Reece, 56, is currently serving time in prison in Texas. Last September, he was charged in connection with the disappearance and death of Tiffany Johnston.

Continuing from my previous post, and putting things in perspective, it appears Reece's 1997 crime spree coincides with warm months, when construction jobs are plentiful. He began with Laura Smither in April, and went right into May with an attack of an adult victim, Sandra Sapaugh. Then he lay low after the attempted abduction of Sapaugh, from which she managed to escape. Thus, no June incident. He likely fled for Oklahoma soon afterward. But even on the lam, he couldn't control his urges, and murdered Tiffany Johnston. With one near miss, and one acquaintance murder, when it came to Jessica, he took extra precautions, and hid her body where it wouldn't be found. JMO
    Last edited by bessie; 02-27-2016 at 01:47 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

For those in the Houston/Galveston area that might be interested, there will be a candlelight vigil held Sunday, March 6th, at the American Legion Hall at Ft Anahuac Park in Anahuac at 5:30pm. There is a Facebook page for this event, Prayers for Jessica. Jessica spent most of her childhood in Anahuac area and has many friends there that love and miss her.

If this post is inappropriate, or does not belong here, please accept my apologies and let me know where I CAN post it.

Thanks,
    Puddle

I don't believe he is responsible for Smither. She was only 12 at the time and that does not fit his victimology.

Reece does not want to go back to OK for some reason, so hopefully LE really does have something to go on other than his word.
    http://unsolvedmurdertx.blogspot.com/

The key is often reading/listening clearly to the details with logic and not emotion.

Reece was living on Fauna St. (about 3.7 mi from where they are digging right now) at the time he was arrested in October 1997.

The key is often reading/listening clearly to the details with logic and not emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by nutkin View Post
    I don't believe he is responsible for Smither. She was only 12 at the time and that does not fit his victimology.

Reece does not want to go back to OK for some reason, so hopefully LE really does have something to go on other than his word.
    He doesn't want to go back to Oklahoma because he's facing murder charges there for killing Tiffany Johnston. I think this latest development is part of a deal to avoid extradition and/or the death penalty. It's surely not a coincidence that he was charged with murder in September, and suddenly got chatty. JMO

I disagree about Laura. Timing, location and history make him a prime suspect. He was driving a forklift at a nearby worksite. Then just a month later, he grabbed SS at knife point. Often opportunity overrides preference, and to him, Laura might have appeared a little older than her actual age.

Fauna Dr. is on the map posted earlier. Very close, indeed. I sure hope this search is successful. It's been much too long for those poor folks not to have answers.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

In his case, we have no evidence that opportunity motivated him more than victim preference. Every victim we know of was in their late teens, Sapaugh and Johnston were both 19, and if Jessica Cain is indeed a victim, she was 17. Look at the pictures of Laura Smither, she did not appear to be older than 12. She does not fit his preference and with serial killers, victimology is extremely important.

Anjanette Sorrentino, 22, abducted from a Houston gas station in July 1997 but managed to escape.

http://abc13.com/news/jessica-cains-...-body/1222540/

In his case, we have no evidence that opportunity motivated him more than victim preference. Every victim we know of was in their late teens, Sapaugh and Johnston were both 19, and if Jessica Cain is indeed a victim, she was 17. Look at the pictures of Laura Smither, she did not appear to be older than 12. She does not fit his preference and with serial killers, victimology is extremely important.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. SK's do not always stick to a single victim type. Bundy's victims ranged upward from 12-years-old. Same for John Norman Collins. Shawcross killed two little children -- a boy and girl, 8 and 10 -- was convicted, sentenced, and after his release, went on to kill numerous women, the eldest in her 50's. Those are a few that come to mind off the top of my head. I can add more names later because there are others.

The point remains that Reece can't be ruled out in the Smither murder because of Laura's age. He was working in the vicinity where Laura was jogging alone. The darn thing is that if the evidence hadn't been botched, her murder might have been solved long ago.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Anjanette Sorrentino, 22, abducted from a Houston gas station in July 1997 but managed to escape.

http://abc13.com/news/jessica-cains-...-body/1222540/
    This isn't the first time I've heard of that incident, but it might be the first time the victim is named. More reason for him to flee to Oklahoma IF the attack preceded TJ's murder.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast