Q&A for LI Locals and those that grew up here

LINative13

Reaction score
I have been reading this particular forum for a long time. I am from the Babylon Town area. Since I have been reading these forums there was occasionally some theory or suggestion that had certain details incorrect that could be filled in by a peson from the area. You guys seem to be alot smarter than me; but if you have any questions that a local to the area could answer....please ask me. In the mean time I am going to go back and start digging into threads that I remember had some errors and posting them here to correct them This is my first post and if I am breaking some forum rules, please delete this and I appologize. I am going to go back and read the TOS now; I should have probably read it first...but what are ya gonna do? (said in a NY accent, and not directed at a mod or anything.) Ask away with questions. This guy/girl (we have not really confirmed that either; have we?)needs to get caught.

This Dumping Ground Area (Ocean Parkway)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is my belief that the cops did not search this entire area (the parkway and not Oak Beach itself) as well as they could have. This area along the highway has been a dumping ground since the highway was built. There is a certain period of time when not just this stretch of highway but the surrounding towns were considered the country to people that lived in the city. So naturally, if someone who lived in the city needed to get rid of a body, they would definitely use it and New York City has had its fair share of murders since this highway was built. Samething with the manorville area. As population expands from the city and overflows into the suburbs of Nassau and Suffolk county. So with the same reasoning as above.....if people from the babylon/huntington/nassau area needed to get rid of a body they would go out to the country, which to them was considered the manorville area (but this post is about Ocean Parkway because I am alot more familiar with it.)

So if cops really dug into this area (ocean parkway).....say for example burned all the vegetation and ripped into the ground (dont forget the dunes shift and there is contstant erosion and deposits of sand by the wind and tide) they would be pulling dozens and dozens of bodies/bone fragments out of there. This area is like a bone fragment pandoras box. Correct if I am worng but once the police find a bone or something don't they have to by law take some kind of record keeping(even if they do not pursue every case) of bones found? This would entail an extensive and expensive amount of police work to a already financially strapped county.

This Dumping Ground Area (Ocean Parkway)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is my belief that the cops did not search this entire area (the parkway and not Oak Beach itself) as well as they could have. This area along the highway has been a dumping ground since the highway was built. There is a certain period of time when not just this stretch of highway but the surrounding towns were considered the country to people that lived in the city. So naturally, if someone who lived in the city needed to get rid of a body, they would definitely use it and New York City has had its fair share of murders since this highway was built. Samething with the manorville area. As population expands from the city and overflows into the suburbs of Nassau and Suffolk county. So with the same reasoning as above.....if people from the babylon/huntington/nassau area needed to get rid of a body they would go out to the country, which to them was considered the manorville area (but this post is about Ocean Parkway because I am alot more familiar with it.)

So if cops really dug into this area (ocean parkway).....say for example burned all the vegetation and ripped into the ground (dont forget the dunes shift and there is contstant erosion and deposits of sand by the wind and tide) they would be pulling dozens and dozens of bodies/bone fragments out of there. This area is like a bone fragment pandoras box. Correct if I am worng but once the police find a bone or something don't they have to by law take some kind of record keeping(even if they do not pursue every case) of bones found? This would entail an extensive and expensive amount of police work to a already financially strapped county.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you so much for your informative post as a local.

So what you are saying is that for those in the underworld, Ocean Parkway has a reputation for decades as being a place to easily dispose of a victim's remains without being caught?

Would members of crime organizations and/or gangs be on the list of those who would use this area to dispose of their victims?

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you so much for your informative post as a local.

So what you are saying is that for those in the underworld, Ocean Parkway has a reputation for decades as being a place to easily dispose of a victim's remains without being caught?

Would members of crime organizations and/or gangs be on the list of those who would use this area to dispose of their victims?

Yes and Yes. In fact, the movie "The Godfather" has a scene (where sonny was shot) that was filmed at Jones Beach. When Pauly was killed in the car (leave the gun, take the cannolis), it depicted Ocean Parkway as well. But I would not got as far to say that people thought they wouldnt be caught if they dropped a body there; but the chances of them being caught were certainly diminished.

Yes and Yes. In fact, the movie "The Godfather" has a scene (where sonny was shot) that was filmed at Jones Beach. When Pauly was killed in the car (leave the gun, take the cannolis), it depicted Ocean Parkway as well.

Very interesting.

I hope I am not protraying the image that its a free for all along the parkway. It is still a gorgeous area to live and for the most part, it is a quiet area.

Welcome to WS's LINative13!!! Your input is interesting and at least gives me something new to think about. According to the website linked below, Ocean Parkway was constructed in the 1930's, and I found this statement interesting...

"The NYSDOT had a project to improve the highway lighting on all parkways south of the Southern State Parkway especially the Ocean Parkway. In fact, they also plan to construct a 14-mile-long bikeway, which will eventually connect to the Long Island mainland via bikeways along the Wantagh State Parkway and the Robert Moses Causeway, is intended for completion by mid-decade. "

It will certainly be interesting to see what they find if they construct that bikeway, huh? :what: The webpage said they plan to do in my "mid-decade". I used to be able to determine when a webpage was created/altered by right clicking and going to the "properties", but now that does not appear to work. Anyone have any idea on how to do that now? That is a skill I hate to have lost! :crazy: The copyright on the page is 2002 - 2011, which is not very helpful. Bleh....

http://www.longislandexchange.com/ocean-parkway.html

I am not sure when Wantagh was contructed (you could probably find it on internet somewhere). To my knowledge that bike path is complete. I do not think anything related to this case (knowingly) was found during construction.

I am not sure when Wantagh was contructed (you could probably find it on internet somewhere). To my knowledge that bike path is complete. I do not think anything related to this case (knowingly) was found during construction.

Is the bike path on the west end (opposite end) of where the bodies were found? In other words, is the bike path closer to Jones Beach? I am at the mercy of the internet and google maps (which is pretty good, but not a substitute for on-site eyes). Thanks again for your local input!

Wantagh Parkway rund perpendicular to ocean parkway. It is in between Robert moses and the Meadowbrook parkway. West of gilgo but east of Jones beach. This road is not as attractive as Ocean Parkway to drop a body off. It is alot thinner than Ocean Parkway and does not have the big median that ocean parkway has. Alot more traffice on it as well. You guys have to understand something about these roads. They are also used for sightseeing. I do it myself, if I want to clear my head from a crazy day I will take a cruise down robert moses parkway or ocean parkway just for the lack of vehicles or the beautiful scenary. I have surfed these beaches for over 15 years and fished all of the local bodies of water for atleast 20.

Also the robert moses bridge has been under contruction for over a decade. It has brought in people from all over the island to work. I am pretty postitive you will find burlap on a construction site. These people that were brought in to work could also pull over on the side of the road and not raise suspicion. His crimes see to take place during summer months when construction is vamped up.

It is a beautiful bit of expensive real estate. There is a lot of money and power in that community. I know some people that live down there and they are some of the most nice and generous people I know, and you would have no idea that they were stupid rich. Are there some bad people? Yes just like every other neighborhood. It is a summer town, but the Oak beach park is visited by people from the mainland all year. Weather it be car shows, fishing off the pier, or going for a walk....people do go there for reasons other than drug use and prostitution. The community is definitely slower between labor day and memorial day. I have read alot of posts and I hope people do not think it is some evil bermuda triangle. Could there be people covering there asses down there? Damn right. Could there be people being so selfish that they are more worried about their home values more than a murderer? Absolutely. Does the community have influence? ******'in A they do. Do I think there is some community wide conspiracy? No way; too many people that get drunk in local bars would blurt it out.

Welcome LINative-I was wondering if you had some knowledge on how often the marshy area where Shannon was found is under water. And, if so, just how deep does it get etc.? Did you drive by it during the year she was missing at all? I'm really wondering how the various storms affected the area. I'm trying to remain open minded on this,however I do have a sneaking suspicion that she was taken elsewhere for a time and then was re-deposited near the Ocean Parkway. Is it plausible to you that she could've been out there all that time? Quite a story on the Godfather scenes being filmed at Jones beach...wow...Yeah, I'm sure that there are quite a few mob-related bodies still out in the area.

There is a trail that runs from Ocean Parkway to the area where Shannon was found. I am not sure if it was there before or after they searched. It does not look like a trail that was ripped out by machinery though and I am almost positive I have seen it before she was found.

I did drive by that area a million times between the time she was missing and when she was found. You cannot see from the highway how flooeded it is. But after saying that; I did see that particular area flood over the highway during that time period. If there is a heavy storm the area right before the exit to get onto RObert Moses Causeway heading south does flood.

Welcome to WS's LINative13!!! Your input is interesting and at least gives me something new to think about. According to the website linked below, Ocean Parkway was constructed in the 1930's, and I found this statement interesting...

"The NYSDOT had a project to improve the highway lighting on all parkways south of the Southern State Parkway especially the Ocean Parkway. In fact, they also plan to construct a 14-mile-long bikeway, which will eventually connect to the Long Island mainland via bikeways along the Wantagh State Parkway and the Robert Moses Causeway, is intended for completion by mid-decade. "

It will certainly be interesting to see what they find if they construct that bikeway, huh? :what: The webpage said they plan to do in my "mid-decade". I used to be able to determine when a webpage was created/altered by right clicking and going to the "properties", but now that does not appear to work. Anyone have any idea on how to do that now? That is a skill I hate to have lost! :crazy: The copyright on the page is 2002 - 2011, which is not very helpful. Bleh....

http://www.longislandexchange.com/ocean-parkway.html

It depends on what browser you are using.

There is a trail that runs from Ocean Parkway to the area where Shannon was found. I am not sure if it was there before or after they searched. It does not look like a trail that was ripped out by machinery though and I am almost positive I have seen it before she was found.

I did drive by that area a million times between the time she was missing and when she was found. You cannot see from the highway how flooeded it is. But after saying that; I did see that particular area flood over the highway during that time period. If there is a heavy storm the area right before the exit to get onto Robert Moses Causeway heading south does flood.

Hmmm, a trail from the Ocean Parkway? If it was definately there before they searched, it makes it possible for her body being placed there later. From what I've read and news reports I've watched, this area has alot of brambles and brush. How high is it and just how passable is it when it's not flooded? I'm still wondering how possible it would've been for her to have gone through it that early morning. So that area flooded over the highway while she was missing? I had no idea that the water level could rise that much and that exits would flood. Thanks for your observations of the area.

How high are brambles and brush? In that particular area...I do not know, as I have only driven past it and never stopped to get out and look. From the road there is a tree line and then it leads into the marsh where she was found. I have never been in that marsh so I cant tell you exactly. What I can tell you is that the area where the GB4 were found (In between Hemlock Cove and Gilgo) is pretty nasty. I surf, so I have actually ran through that area before to get from the bay to the ocean.....alot of people have ran through that area. When these bodies were first discovered; my surfing buddies and I were saying "It is nuts that we walked right passed those bodies; imagine if that smell we were smelling wasn't just the tide."

The trail is on the east bound side of Ocean Parkway and unless you were looking for it from the road, you would drive right past it. The entrance is about 4 feet wide; I do not know how far it goes but it is located right where shannon was found. I am almost positive it was there before shannon was found. When I saw it; I thought the exact same thing (Shannon could have been brought in through it). It makes sense too because she was found about 100 feet from the highway, correct? This fits the MO of the LISK. I have my own theories as to who done it, but I also have not dismissed anything either. I belive someone in OB killed shannon, but I thought someone else was the LISK. BUt I am not sure....it is EXTREMELY possible that whoever killed shannon is the LISK. I just do not know. I wish the guy who was screaming about where shannon would be found for the past 9 months would post over here more regularily, instead of over at the other site.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage
Back