Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: IL-Laureth "Laurie" May, 29, three kids, & Destiny Gruba, 17, Aurora, 15 Feb 2012 -#2

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    All JMO, having been in a similar situation to Destiny, at her age.

This is so frustrating to me.
    If they both left willingly, I FEAR that Destiny's family's pleas the way they are right now, are not going to do any good.

No one will come to hurt her or her family?
    Please don't be afraid or believe any threats?

Options as I see them:

A.) We are not being told vitally important information which indicates that Laurie is a direct danger to Destiny and by default, her own children.

A2.) Which would also mean we have enormously incompetent officers who don't care about babies, with evidence of them being in danger.

B.) Or Destiny's family is treating her like a child who can't even walk away from someone half her size, with three little children there.

B2.) Not to mention vilifying Laurie, implying she has somehow held Destiny hostage 24-7, with three small kids for 3 long weeks.

There is a HUGE difference between someone taking a minor, possibly by manipulation or lies, which of course is wrong...
    And someone threatening to hurt or kill the minor or the minor's family. I see NO indication that is even a concern here.

Something is very wrong with this picture. It's certainly possible that Destiny's family knows something we don't and the cops are incompetent.

Otherwise, I do not think her family is giving Destiny enough credit. They are treating her like a helpless abduction victim. Is she?
    If I didn't know the details, I would think we were talking about a 10-12 year old kid from the pleas of her family. What are we missing?!

I don't know ANY of them and I am offended for Destiny.

Treat me like a child and I will prove to you I'm an adult.

It's a pretty common mentality among teenagers and I FEAR they are simply reinforcing it... I wish someone would advise them in this area.
    I agree with you 100%.

Something that really strikes me is that although the "We Want Destiny Gruba Back Safely!" FB page is filled with posts from her immediate and extended family, plus a few people who sound like they are her mother's friends, I have not yet read any posts that sound like they are from DG's friends.

I don't know if this means that her friends are simply not posting there or if this means that she just does not have that many close friends.

If she does have close friends and they are not posting, that makes me want to ask those friends some, ah, searching questions. And talk some about the ethics of breaking confidentiality.

If she does not have close friends, then that suggests one or two other things to me:

a) her family discourages or has been suspicious of DG's prior attempts at having friends

or

b) DG is socially isolated outside of her own family, so the one person she's found to be a friend is much more important to her than any single friend is to someone who has several close friends.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgorules View Post
    I'm not a user of the apps anymore either, becasue they automatically post what you look at sometimes, and every app you let access your basic information provides another hole for a hacker to get in and infect you with a virus.

You are on the right page though-- the posts that you see where people are claiming to make a million dollars in a day are viruses. Those posts are hackers posting on people's unsecured walls.

The app that tells your FB friends what articles you recently read (I think it's the Washington Post Social Reader?) is a pretty standard app that automatically posts what article you click on. I believe that one lets you opt out of posting on your wall automatically, but I may be wrong. I believe it shows what your other friends are reading, and if you click on one of the articles suggested to you, then it posts on your wall that you're reading it. Pretty much a news aggregator that tracks what you read (no thanks). I don't believe it is the same as say, reading an article on the Tribune's site, and then posting to your FB wall on your own. Make sense?

[In general, when you click on an app, it says "Do you allow for such and such an app to access your basic information?"-- that info could be your birthdate, your gender, your friends list, etc. If you are on a secure FB connection (https: instead of just http many times it knocks you to an unsecure http: site so the apps can have an open connection to your info.]

Good for you for not having a cell phone-- I am in the tech industry so the idea scares me to my core, personally, lol
    Yes-- you are right that if she is using her smartphone to access FB, then it is pinging, and should be able to be traced. I guess she could roll into a Kinko's or something and access it on one of those pay by the minute computers. My other, (stronger) thought is that LE has traced it and they know where they are. Why they wouldn't go and get them I have no idea. If they are on the move though, they may be out of the area by the time LE gets the ping info. OR, LE does not have access to the ping info yet.

I hope that helps

What about those cash cell phones they sell at WalMart or places like that? Couldn't they just be using one of those and buying minutes with cash? No, I don't have a cell phone. (but I will borrow one when going out of town for emergency use only. And then I have to ask my 9 yr old how to use it, lol. )
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    What about those cash cell phones they sell at WalMart or places like that? Couldn't they just be using one of those and buying minutes with cash? No, I don't have a cell phone. (but I will borrow one when going out of town for emergency use only. And then I have to ask my 9 yr old how to use it, lol. )
    I have a TracFone. I think it was $14.95 when I bought it last summer, and I get something like 250 minutes for $20. I never even use 1/10th of those before they expire, because I only have the phone for emergencies. I don't chat on it.

So yes, someone could have an inexpensive phone like that and just keep buying minutes. You can buy minutes just about anywhere--gas stations, even. I've never tried to do anything fancier on mine than just make a call, but there are icons on the screen to do all kinds of things.
    Last edited by MarthaM; 03-07-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarthaM For This Useful Post:

If they have any kind of cell phone-CALL SOMEONE AND TELL THEM YOU ARE OKAY.
    Just my opinion, of course.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Quote Originally Posted by MarthaM View Post
    I think the 'saving' part has to do with why SC thinks LM and DG have such a close relationship. I don't know any more about it than anybody else, but my thoughts are... LM's an artist, a creative sort of person. Maybe she sees a lot of her younger self in DG, and thinks she understands more of what DG wants than DG's family does. LM might feel like DG's family is trying to steer her toward a future and a life that she doesn't think DG wants or woud be best for her. LM may see her relationship with DG as saving her from being prevented to follow her dreams.

At the same time, I'm not sure that LM understands DG as much as she thinks she does. Teenage girls often attach themselves to a teacher or other adult who they greatly admire, and seem more interested in the adult's interests than they really are. They're not always being their genuine, true selves around the adult they want to be close to.

I think the 'saving' thing just has to do with LM thinking she knows DG better than her family does and knows what's better for her. She really doesn't, of course, but she thinks so.

This describes most accurately my thoughts on the relationship between LM and DG.

This leads me to consider the following. IF there was anything 'illegal' about LM and DG's relationship which led to LM's termination, EVERY school administrator is a mandatory reporter and would have reported such. LE did not say DG ran off with someone being investigated for ____ or someone accused of ______ . If the school was 'covering up' and did not report, then DG's family would be ALL over the media about bringing up _____ to the school board. That is NOT happening in this case.

DG's family is being VERY careful about the assertions/allegations they make against LM because they know they can be held responsible for libel/slander or character defamation. They were never clear with what they meant by... 'this is being investigated', and 'we couldn't talk about it but now that it is all over the media'. (paraphrased from memory from early postings at the Bring Destiny Gruba Back! FB group. ). ETA: And I question whether that was done deliberately, as in trying to bait people into the conclusion they wanted without specifically saying so to protect their liabilities.

Just food for thought... with the facts we know.
    Last edited by Cubby; 03-07-2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: add
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    This describes most accurately my thoughts on the relationship between LM and DG.

This leads me to consider the following. IF there was anything 'illegal' about LM and DG's relationship which led to LM's termination, EVERY school administrator is a mandatory reporter and would have reported such. LE did not say DG ran off with someone being investigated for ____ or someone accused of ______ . If the school was 'covering up' and did not report, then DG's family would be ALL over the media about bringing up _____ to the school board. That is NOT happening in this case.

DG's family is being VERY careful about the assertions/allegations they make against LM because they know they can be held responsible for libel/slander or character defamation. They were never clear with what they meant by... 'this is being investigated', and 'we couldn't talk about it but now that it is all over the media'. (paraphrased from memory from early postings at the Bring Destiny Gruba Back! FB group. ). ETA: And I question whether that was done deliberately, as in trying to bait people into the conclusion they wanted without specifically saying so to protect their liabilities.

Just food for thought... with the facts we know.
    My theory, based on what I've read so far, is that it was a combo deal.

The school found evidence of something that was against school regulations but not necessarily illegal. I've seen examples cited in these threads of schools that forbid any telephone contact or texting between a teacher and student, for example. It isn't illegal to telephone or text a minor but it could be grounds for firing.

The family may have believed they found evidence of something actually illegal and have reported it themselves to child protective services.

I agree with you that it does look like DG's family is being careful to hint rather than come out with anything that could be actionable.

I think that if I were a 17 year old who had a deep emotional attachment to an adult (romantic or platonic) and my parents reported it to child supportive services, I'd be so enraged the smoke would be blowing out of my ears.

It would be like hitting the trifecta in extreme insults from a teen's point of view: being treated like I was a child too young to make my own decisions, feeling like the adult was being threatened because of me and feeling pressured to betray someone I cared about.

I don't know if this is what actually happened or not. But if it is what happened, I would not expect to hear from DG any time soon. If this is true, she may feel that their behaviour was such a betrayal that she might feel they no longer deserve consideration of their feelings.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

Since giving 'financial' support was mentioned earlier somewhere in regards to LM's terminaton, my guess was that the school has a specific policy of what a teacher can and can't give to students as far as material things. Cash is probably a definite no-no, and maybe LM was caught giving DG cash. That's just a wild guess, though.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarthaM For This Useful Post:

My daughter works for a cell phone company. They do have prepaid accounts available at her company. You have to pay in advance for 1 month. I believe it starts at $50 and you can get a smart phone on that type of plan. You can get infinite data and messaging with plans from $50 to $70. Here is an example of the prepaid plans. http://www.cspire.com/shop_and_learn...utprod27220084

I definetly think one or both of them could be using this type of phone and plan.
    "Words can break someone into a million pieces, but they can also put them back together. I hope you use yours for good, because the only words you'll regret more than the ones left unsaid are the ones you use to intentionally hurt someone."

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angelonline For This Useful Post:

Whew. I was so frustrated when I posted I was afraid I was going to come back to an unpleasant response.

Through my own facebook sleuthing I found that we are appreciated.
    I feel a bit better knowing that someone at least appreciates our brainstorming... we aren't driving ourselves crazy for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    Great post Ms F., you said a lot of things I've been thinking/feeling.

I keep wondering about how on D's FB missing page, people keep posting things to D like, "break free!" or "pray/put your mind to it and break free/free yourself". Do they feel that she is being physically restrained? Or emotionally brainwashed or something? I completely agree with you that if they imply to her that they think she is only gone because LM has brainwashed her, or taken advantage, or manipulated her, then D isn't going to take that well. She will feel treated like a baby, or as if she is stupid and wouldn't know any better.

I know this because I felt that way towards my parents saying stuff like that to me at 17/18 as well

A speculation:

From my FB sleuthing, it appears as if DG was previously in a relationship with a female a few years older than her. IF (and I emphasize IF!! Hypothetical only!) D and LM are romantically involved, could it be that D's parents disapprove of it because of the homosexual aspect? I ask because they appear to be very devout Christians, and there is the possibility that they disapprove for religious reasons. That might explain why they might feel that D is somehow under the "sway" or emotional manipulations of LM,or why they feel LM is so bad.

just brainstorming... please, ladies, someone call home, use a calling card, call a friend, relative, anyone! It'll only get worse, and think of those boys who are probably missing their daddy. . Everything has a way of working out eventually!
    The religion/orientation aspect has certainly occurred to me... living here...
    This was the situation with my friend who reminds me so much of Destiny.

Did they hate the female she apparently dated previously? If not, why not? What makes LM different? Age? Teacher?

Quote Originally Posted by GrainneDhu View Post
    I agree with you 100%.

Something that really strikes me is that although the "We Want Destiny Gruba Back Safely!" FB page is filled with posts from her immediate and extended family, plus a few people who sound like they are her mother's friends, I have not yet read any posts that sound like they are from DG's friends.

I don't know if this means that her friends are simply not posting there or if this means that she just does not have that many close friends.

If she does have close friends and they are not posting, that makes me want to ask those friends some, ah, searching questions. And talk some about the ethics of breaking confidentiality.

If she does not have close friends, then that suggests one or two other things to me:

a) her family discourages or has been suspicious of DG's prior attempts at having friends

or

b) DG is socially isolated outside of her own family, so the one person she's found to be a friend is much more important to her than any single friend is to someone who has several close friends.
    Destiny's friends are posting on their own facebook pages... posting her picture as their profile picture... asking her to come home, etc.
    But no, I haven't seen Destiny's friends working with her family. Just like we haven't seen Laurie's family working with Destiny's family.
    Everyone working together would be far more effective. If Destiny's friends can't or won't work with her family... why not?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:

Um... another "rumor alert!"
    The same place that Destiny's alleged cousin had posted about the case earlier...
    Where the comment was made about Laurie's father being investigated... which we never saw anywhere else.

I was already doubting the validity of comments there... since I couldn't confirm them anywhere else.
    However... once again... if this one is true, it would mean that the cops working on this case are completely incompetent.
    Though, it might explain Destiny's family reacting the way that they have. I really wish the MSM would clear some of this up.

Okay... so help me out here. IF Laurie's husband really said this... why the lack of urgency from law enforcement?
    If Laurie's husband said his babies were in imminent danger of being killed, does anyone REALLY think we would see the LE response we have?

RUMOR ALERT

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=450921&page=6

This one says that Laurie's husband claims she had "issues" that got worse every year.
    Laurie's husband allegedly also said that he feels anyone alone with her, including her own children... should be in fear for their lives.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:

JMO, the way the fiance apparently let LM leave with the kids in the early hours and wasn't particularly concerned before the police came knocking on his door doesn't suggest to me that he was greatly fearful of LM harming her children at the time.

I suppose he might have changed his mind now that she's been missing with the children for far too long and thought about previous warning signs that he used to ignore or explain for the better and now he might think that she was breaking down.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

I was just thinking about the financial end of things and how they could be surviving this long without using credit cards etc., and it occurred to me that perhaps LM had gotten her tax refund and had that cash with her? The timing would be right for that.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarthaM For This Useful Post:

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Popping in just to see if any updates. Three weeks is a long time, unless they had a pretty solid plan....which included 3 little ones. We don't even know if there has been any findings on cell pings.

If the posts from DG's cousin is legit, then someone from LM's family IS talking to DG's family. I still believe his prior post of LM's father being investigated was meant to mean SC, since LM's father has supposedly been out of the picture for a long time. ??? jMO

The mere fact they cut ties with EVERYONE is very troubling. Hope LE is still working on this everyday.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hollyblue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    JMO, the way the fiance apparently let LM leave with the kids in the early hours and wasn't particularly concerned before the police came knocking on his door doesn't suggest to me that he was greatly fearful of LM harming her children at the time.

I suppose he might have changed his mind now that she's been missing with the children for far too long and thought about previous warning signs that he used to ignore or explain for the better and now he might think that she was breaking down.
    My cousin took off with her kids. After she left her husband found things she wrote about "the kids need to be in heaven..." and freaked out.

I can think of any signs there would be that would add up slowly to him thinking Laurie was an imminent danger to everyone...
    However, if SC found something specific that for some reason caused him to believe Laurie was a danger to anyone alone with her...
    What reason could there be for LE not to react to that?
    Custodial parent or not, if they believe the child is at risk of being killed, they will issue an Amber Alert. We've seen it more than once.

See, I just can't make ANY scenario fit with ALL of the parties reactions to the situation. It.makes.no.SENSE.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post

Not only did she supposedly have this deteriorating mental state (which has been hinted at in the MSM also), but she also had supposedly been drinking to the point that it warranted an argument before she left the house in the dead of night with the 3 babies... and yet not a finger lifted to make a phone call to check on their safety.

Makes no sense. But, I am just going to sit on my hands.
    If I can stop one heart from breaking,
    I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,
    Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin
    Unto his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    ~Emily Dickinson~

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to southern_comfort For This Useful Post:

My cousin took off with her kids. After she left her husband found things she wrote about "the kids need to be in heaven..." and freaked out.

I can think of any signs there would be that would add up slowly to him thinking Laurie was an imminent danger to everyone...
    However, if SC found something specific that for some reason caused him to believe Laurie was a danger to anyone alone with her...
    What reason could there be for LE not to react to that?
    Custodial parent or not, if they believe the child is at risk of being killed, they will issue an Amber Alert. We've seen it more than once.

See, I just can't make ANY scenario fit with ALL of the parties reactions to the situation. It.makes.no.SENSE.
    I can't make any *runaway* scenario fit...
    If I can stop one heart from breaking,
    I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,
    Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin
    Unto his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    ~Emily Dickinson~

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southern_comfort For This Useful Post:

I can't make ANY scenario fit. There are things that point one way, and other things point another.

This morning I'm back to wondering WHY, if the children are considered to be possibly in danger by LE, they are not putting out any more info - either LMs family or local LE? More publicity of the car, a press conference, etc???
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Southside of Chicago...it's the baddest part of town
    Still no coverage for Destiny, but this was all over the news (until they found him, RIP). I have personally called 890am and 560am in the mornings en route to work - they just won't touch the story. It's sad.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...elmont-harbor/

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simply Caustic For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Caustic View Post
    Still no coverage for Destiny, but this was all over the news (until they found him, RIP). I have personally called 890am and 560am in the mornings en route to work - they just won't touch the story. It's sad.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...elmont-harbor/
    Very sad... Too many young men dying this way after nights out drinking. Call for a ride guys, or go with a group! And wish we weren't so weird about alcohol here in the US, maybe a less restrictive drinking age would eliminate all the binge drinking that happens with college kids...

Thanks for your efforts in calling the radio stations for LM, DG and boys. I wonder if local media has been told to hold off on covering the story for some reason?
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gardenlady For This Useful Post:

Help me out here. I see posts referring to Laurie's 'husband' and others referring to a 'fiance'. Which is it? And I assume the children belong to him?
    I think I'm trying to follow too many cases and the details are getting mixed up in my head. Due to a back problem, I can't stay on the computer long at a time, I have to move around pretty often so I'm just hitting the last couple pages on each thread and it's hard to remember everything about every case.
    Sorry.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxLady2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TxLady2 View Post
    Help me out here. I see posts referring to Laurie's 'husband' and others referring to a 'fiance'. Which is it? And I assume the children belong to him?
    I think I'm trying to follow too many cases and the details are getting mixed up in my head. Due to a back problem, I can't stay on the computer long at a time, I have to move around pretty often so I'm just hitting the last couple pages on each thread and it's hard to remember everything about every case.
    Sorry.
    It's her fiance, and yes, all 3 kids are his.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:

Um... another "rumor alert!"
    The same place that Destiny's alleged cousin had posted about the case earlier...
    Where the comment was made about Laurie's father being investigated... which we never saw anywhere else.

I was already doubting the validity of comments there... since I couldn't confirm them anywhere else.
    However... once again... if this one is true, it would mean that the cops working on this case are completely incompetent.
    Though, it might explain Destiny's family reacting the way that they have. I really wish the MSM would clear some of this up.

Okay... so help me out here. IF Laurie's husband really said this... why the lack of urgency from law enforcement?
    If Laurie's husband said his babies were in imminent danger of being killed, does anyone REALLY think we would see the LE response we have?

RUMOR ALERT

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=450921&page=6

This one says that Laurie's husband claims she had "issues" that got worse every year.
    Laurie's husband allegedly also said that he feels anyone alone with her, including her own children... should be in fear for their lives.
    May’s fiancé said she has never behaved in this manner and gave no indications of intending to hurt herself or her children, police said.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news...video-20120220

So, is DG's family implying SC is working with them, telling them the truth but lying to police? Seriously. This screams outrageous family behavior that would be, as a previous poster suggested, the trifecta of mortifying family behavior that would enrage a teen.

There have been NO changes in the classification of any of the 5 missing persons status.

DG did not run off with say the head of the Mexican mafia. She did not run off with the leader of the Latin Kings, the Disciples or any other well known Chicago gangs. She ran off with a former teacher who recently accomplished her masters degree.

If posts such as the ones being made by family, even those in Florida, (iirc that is where this rumor originated) that might be indicative of one of the reasons DG chose to run.

Runaways don't run from happy family settings. There are clearly family issues which lead to a teen running. If the family refuses to acknowledge their role, as perceived from the teens POV, they might as well accept the fact that their kid is going to continue to run.

That DG's family would make assertions such as this with ZERO to back it up, really speaks volumes on possible reasons DG left. My apologies if that doesn't sound very victim friendly, but let's face it, DG's family reaction does not line up with the facts being presented by LE.

Maybe I'm the only one, and I don't mind being the one man standing (never have), but it really sounds like DG has very little voice, if any, regarding her own life choices. I'm getting that hinky feeling here surrounding a scenario such as children should be seen and not heard. I think there are some serious G family issues for which they are in complete denial. Until those are acknowledged and people are willing to work through them and make some compromises, I see DG possibly becoming a chronic runaway, if she comes back. It wouldn't be the first time we've seen cases such as that here at WS.

Last edited by Cubby; 03-07-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    ~JMO~

43. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TxLady2 View Post
    Sorry.
    Sorry, I might be the one who referred to him as husband... They have been together for about 10 years but are not married. I believe one of them announced ER engagement on FB at Christmastime.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gardenlady For This Useful Post:

Cubby I'm feeling same as you are. So far Ds family has referred to LM as:

A con artist

Someone who has mental or other issues that have been getting worse and may mean danger for others

Inferred she has some kind of emotional or mental "hold" over D that she must break free from

I don't see any of that in LM. I realize that people are very often not what they appear to be. But I've seen not a single red flag in her background that would indicate instability, criminal activity or intent, abusiveness, neglectfulness, dishonesty.... Any of it. She was stable enough to get her advanced degree, run an etsy shop of things she makes herself, help her husband do graphics for his businesses, care for three little boys, hold a few jobs of teaching/TA, keep in touch with friends (other than a short FB hiatus at the end of 2011), etc etc. If she was hiding dark secrets, or a more manipulative side, then she did it very very well.

What is there to indicate that she is a danger? And if she IS, then why isn't more being said and done?

I just don't see LM that way at all. Not in the way DGs family has portrayed her, at all.

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gardenlady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    Cubby I'm feeling same as you are. So far Ds family has referred to LM as:

A con artist

Someone who has mental or other issues that have been getting worse and may mean danger for others

Inferred she has some kind of emotional or mental "hold" over D that she must break free from

I don't see any of that in LM. I realize that people are very often not what they appear to be. But I've seen not a single red flag in her background that would indicate instability, criminal activity or intent, abusiveness, neglectfulness, dishonesty.... Any of it. She was stable enough to get her advanced degree, run an etsy shop of things she makes herself, help her husband do graphics for his businesses, care for three little boys, hold a few jobs of teaching/TA, keep in touch with friends (other than a short FB hiatus at the end of 2011), etc etc. If she was hiding dark secrets, or a more manipulative side, then she did it very very well.

What is there to indicate that she is a danger? And if she IS, then why isn't more being said and done?

I just don't see LM that way at all. Not in the way DGs family has portrayed her, at all.

Thanks. I just have this sad feeling Destiny was not heard. That the type of reaction we've seen thus far from the G family is typical of how they reacted prior to DG's disappearance. It's not even balanced to hold LM on par with someone that would put DG in a position to end up in jail, prison or worse.

Is this why LM believes she is saving DG? Saving her from being stifled from fulfilling her dreams?

In addition to the credentials you posted for LM, Gardenlady, add the great number of years LM was a camp counselor. IIRC it was close to 10 years? I'd have to verify the number, but we're seeing a reaction from the G family which would indicate they've seen the light while LM has kept countless numbers of people, including LE, in the dark for a number of years. I too just do not see LM in that light.

I'm not saying this to indicate I support LM's choice. There were certainly other choices....

Just trying to understand DG's possible mind set.

As a parent, I realize there are going to be other influences in my childs life. It's a parents choice as to how they react to those outside influences. How a parent recognizes and fosters those outside influences. I just can't shake the feeling that perhaps the G family was threatened by ANY outside influence on DG, including positive role models if they differed from the parents wants versus the childs wants.

If I felt stifled and not allowed to grow in my own interests, I might run too. Especially if a postive role model was able to get me to see some of my own families unhealthy ways. In general, as I don't know specific family dynamics in this case. I can only come to conclusions based on information I have - and those are the family's own words and reactions.

~JMO~

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast