GUILTY MD - Monae Turnage, 13, shot to death, Baltimore, 3 March 2012

How devastating for her brother. Poor kid. I hope he has some good support for going through this too. :rose:

(snip)

The grief-stricken mother is speechless and still in shock, not able to comprehend the murder of her 13-year-old daughter Monae Turnage. She has told WJZ’s media partner, the Baltimore Sun, her daughter was shot and a local youth is being questioned in her death.

(snip)

The family says they were told to wait 24 hours before filing a missing persons report.

But the victim’s brother and some friends went out searching for her. Just before 6 p.m. Sunday, they found her in an alley behind the 1600-block of Cliftview Avenue, her body covered with trash.

“She does have some signs of trauma but we are unsure of what she was killed from,” Det. Donny Moses of the Baltimore City Police Department said.

More at link:
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/03/05/13-year-old-girls-body-found-in-alley/

(snip)

The grief-stricken mother is speechless and still in shock, not able to comprehend the murder of her 13-year-old daughter Monae Turnage. She has told WJZ’s media partner, the Baltimore Sun, her daughter was shot and a local youth is being questioned in her death.

(snip)

The family says they were told to wait 24 hours before filing a missing persons report.

But the victim’s brother and some friends went out searching for her. Just before 6 p.m. Sunday, they found her in an alley behind the 1600-block of Cliftview Avenue, her body covered with trash.

“She does have some signs of trauma but we are unsure of what she was killed from,” Det. Donny Moses of the Baltimore City Police Department said.

More at link:

--why on earth would they have to wait 24 hours to report a 13 year old missing ???

--the 1st 24 hours are ctritical in an investigation....that makes NO sense to me.

--why on earth would they have to wait 24 hours to report a 13 year old missing ???

--the 1st 24 hours are ctritical in an investigation....that makes NO sense to me.

ITA. It makes no sense. But I think police have these rules where you have to wait 24 hours or even 48 hours to report a person missing (presumably in case they have just gone off somewhere and will come back). Well if the person is killed or kidnapped that gives perps a lot of time to cover up their tracks.

I thought it was only adults that there was a 24-hour wait time. However, with Baltimore City cops it doesn't surprise me that they said that. They should be ashamed and I hope complaints are filed with the police department. I don't believe those rules apply to children. They may have thought she was a run away, nonetheless they should have checked it out. Her brother shouldn't have had to find her body himself. That has got to be terribly devastating for him.

(snip)

(snip)

More at link:

OMG! What a load of carp!

Wait 24 hours before filing a missing person report on a 13 year old child???? Never!

I'd like to know who gave them that information.

http://www.foxbaltimore.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wbff_vid_12456.shtml?wap=0

Police have arrested and charged a 12 and 13-year-old boys with involuntary manslaughter, for the death of 13-year-old Monae Turnage.

Police say the young boys will be charged as juveniles.

Police say Turnage went to a house in the 1600-block of Darely Avenue, when she was there Turnage and other kids at the home found a a 22 caliber rifle. While playing with the gun, it discharged, shooting her in the chest

Damn it with people and their unsecured guns! I'm not anti-gun. In fact I enjoy target shooting a great deal and have some rifles with no ammo in the house and one handgun. When my daughter was a child, they were removed from our home and kept at her uncle's house. She is an adult now, but still has some issues, so the one we have is kept in pieces in different locations. And I mean lots of pieces. I'm sick of these senseless deaths because of irresponsible adults. Monae had such a beautiful smile and wanted to be a pediatrician. My thoughts and condolences go out to her family.

OMG! What a load of carp!

Wait 24 hours before filing a missing person report on a 13 year old child???? Never!

I'd like to know who gave them that information.

They are assumed to be a runaway until they've been gone for 24+ hours. Especially if they are a minority... :banghead:

A 13 year old doesn't surprise me. We've seen this with much younger kids.

Alexis Patterson - 7 years old - Friday May 3, 2002
Never showed up at school after her stepfather walked her to the corner.

It took an hour for the police to respond at all. (Though she'd already been gone the whole school day.)

7 year old Alexis was treated as a runaway.
Because she wasn't allowed to take cupcakes to school that day.

So police said let's give it the WEEKEND and if she's not home by Monday...

She was 7 years old.
SEVEN.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/video/view-missing-black-children-15439795

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22942&highlight=alexis+patterson&page=2

The same thing happened with Amber Dubois. She disappeared on her way to school and they assumed she was a run-away even though she was getting her lamb that day and was super excited. I realize she was a teenager, but I think the cops need to go more with the gut feeling of a parent. A parent has a pretty good idea if their child has run-away or not. Precious time is being lost due to bureaucracy.

Poor baby. Just a baby. Monae just wanted to go skating like any child does. Then other children shoot her.

Forgive me if I offend anyone beforehand. I'd like to say first off this is B-More. I am not disrespecting the police of Baltimore as they see things we couldn't imagine. However, Baltimore is rough. Real rough. Still this is a child, and a young one at that. This nixes any preconceived notion cops or otherwise.

Your 13 year old and I repeat THIRTEEN goes rollerskating. You're either there to pick them up or out looking for them if they don't return within let's say an hour of when skating closed. Soooooooo, 24 hour BS or not did her family just figure she stayed at someone's house? I'm not real clear on that. Also of course I am never blaming the victims weather they personally waited overnight or not.

Let's not leave race out. Sorry, but this is how it goes, and I know many people are trying to change that. I thank them. If this was Suszie Q missing for three hours after skating wouldn't someone be looking for her? Examole the cops and an army of people?

****Don't go by me on regulations. I am not sure if it is State by State. You do not have to be a minor reported missing and you DO NOT have to wait 24 hours. Not if you're grandpop or a kid. Again that is here. I am hoping everywhere. I know this from two ways. One my dad who was a Detective here and two looking for my DD. She technically wasn't missing, but how would I know when she ignored my calls? For days? Traipsing around doing what she pleased in really rough neighborhoods. Her father could care less. Yeah I called and the wonderful police in my district said it's a misconception we have about 24 hours. You can call. You can make a report. Filly did and that got her *advertiser censored** to use the good manners and deceny I taught her from then on.****

Sorry for the rant, but this is a little girl. A girl.

Prayers for her family.

Oh also police must go to the residence where the missing person lives. My ex husband was none too pleased to have the cops at his door and having to explain his 17 year old hadn't checked in and uhhhhhhhh he hadn't tried to call her to be certain she said where she was. Three days later? Really? The cops weren't amused either. I'm glad they let him know that's exactly why a 17 year old would go choose to live with a parent that basically didn't give a flip.

I recently had to report my roommate missing, and he is an 46 year old adult. They didn't make me wait. (And yes we found him.)

I can't believe that the police told them to wait, and I hope there are some reforms, and hopefully some restructuring within the police department. The way I understand it, it is up to the individual department whether there is a waiting period or not, so the police department is in a position to change that rule.

I recently had to report my roommate missing, and he is an 46 year old adult. They didn't make me wait. (And yes we found him.)

Thank you. I just looked up several Sates and the rule applied to each that you did not have to wait.

NMK, glad you found your friend.

Baltimore's no stranger to this very thing. The wait and see thing.

RIP Monae

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/5780 has the wording of the US code stating that law enforcement agencies are not permitted to establish waiting periods before accepting missing child reports.

Each State reporting under the provisions of this section and section 5779 of this title shall—

(1) ensure that no law enforcement agency within the State establishes or maintains any policy that requires the observance of any waiting period before accepting a missing child or unidentified person report;

So does this mean that a police department that forces a parent to wait before they will accept the missing person information is in violation of federal law?

The following is quoted from literature on the NCMEC website (missingkids.com).

Remember no matter what you have been told,
there is no law requiring a waiting period for
reporting a missing child, who is younger than
21, to law enforcement or for entry into NCIC.
Law enforcement is not allowed to observe a waiting
period before taking a report from you. This means
when you call law enforcement to report your child
is missing, law enforcement cannot tell you to wait
a certain amount of time to see if your child returns
home before they take the report (42 U.S.C. § 5779)

Good job, Tracy! I suspected as much. I think I will write to WJZ and WBAL about this case and see if they want to pick up the story. Those are our local news stations. May I have your permission to copy your code references in my emails?

Detectives say Turnage was inside a home with friends Saturday night. They were playing with the gun when it went off. Turnage was shot in the chest and killed. Police say the two boys dragged her into the alley and hid her body.

In addition, Guglielmi confirmed to WJZ that an off-duty officer was suspended for “his conduct after the shooting.”

I'm appalled that these teens dragged Monae outside and disposed of her like trash. Sounds like they had some help, and from a cop, no less.

And WE know this. They HAVE to take your report when you call to make it.
Unfortunately the parents who are actually told this, often do not.
Police are a bit like doctors. If they say it, then it must be true right?

When my sister in law was finally pregnant after IVF... she had a sky high blood pressure and her kidneys were failing.
She was less than two weeks from her due date. They were giving her all sorts of drugs to bring down her blood pressure, prevent seizures...

I was telling anyone who would listen that they need to get that baby out NOW or they were both going to die. Begging them to listen to me.

I was told "This doctor has 25 years of experience. You, are not a doctor. I am quite sure that he knows what he is doing."

They almost let this mother and her IVF baby DIE because they refused to doubt a doctor! And these are college educated people!
My sister law had all sorts of psychological issues after the birth, because she thought they were both going to die, she got hooked on Xanax.
SHE tells me, that the doctor should have taken the baby when her blood pressure went up. I swear, I talk to WALLS. :banghead:

I see it over and over again. The girl waking up in the middle of the night puking that isn't diagnosed with a brain tumor for two months.
Would that two months have made a difference in prognosis? We will never know.

The child who is on antibiotics for 8 months straight for "an infection" they can't locate, when it's clear to regular people he has Lymphoma.
Fortunately, that 8 month delay didn't prevent him from being successfully treated.

These are obviously, immediately life threatening issues. No gray area.

A missing 13 year old COULD have just gone to a friends or run away. Huge gray area.

If you hear from a cop that she will come home tomorrow, many parents think "he knows better than I do." Even though they are the parent.

It.Drives.Me.Nuts. :banghead:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/5780 has the wording of the US code stating that law enforcement agencies are not permitted to establish waiting periods before accepting missing child reports.

Each State reporting under the provisions of this section and section 5779 of this title shall—

(1) ensure that no law enforcement agency within the State establishes or maintains any policy that requires the observance of any waiting period before accepting a missing child or unidentified person report;

So does this mean that a police department that forces a parent to wait before they will accept the missing person information is in violation of federal law?

The following is quoted from literature on the NCMEC website (missingkids.com).

Remember no matter what you have been told,
there is no law requiring a waiting period for
reporting a missing child, who is younger than
21, to law enforcement or for entry into NCIC.
Law enforcement is not allowed to observe a waiting
period before taking a report from you. This means
when you call law enforcement to report your child
is missing, law enforcement cannot tell you to wait
a certain amount of time to see if your child returns
home before they take the report (42 U.S.C. § 5779)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachel1987
Back