1093 users online (274 members and 819 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Ok Beth K just said the jury was in the jury box when Judge S. gave his thoughts about JY's verdict to JY. Good! Now they shouldn't have any regrets or doubts about their decision because the judge absolutely validated the verdict.
    Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
    ............Harper Lee

Thank you to the PT and the jury. Justice was served today in NC. Finally.

Here's a link that shows part of Judge Stephens' statement in open court at the time of sentencing.

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/m...tory/10814366/

"In reviewing the evidence, it appeared to me that if, on Nov. 2, 2006, Michelle Young had called the police and had reported that her husband had beaten her Ė and if police had responded and found her with missing teeth and a broken noses and black eyes Ė no one that this couple knew, including their closest friends, would have been surprised," Stephens said.

"They would not, in my opinion, have been a bit surprised, so why would anyone be surprised when Michelle Young was found beaten to death. The pattern is the same," he continued.

"This woman wasn't just murdered, she suffered a beating the likes of which we seldom see. This woman was punished," Stephens said Monday. "The assailant struck her over 30 times with a weapon of some sort, and she was undoubtedly unconscious after the second or third blow.

"But it would appear that the evidence suggests the assailant continued to beat her until he was exhausted. Only then did he stop beating her, because he didn't have the strength to strike her anymore."

more at link ................http://www.wral.com/specialreports/m...tory/10814366/

Beth said that the jurors did stay in the courtroom for the penalty phase so they did hear the Judges comments. They should be very proud of themselves.

The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Thanks knicks; I didn't hear that they had a choice whether to stay or not.
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

(mine is tomorrow!)
    IMO

knicksgal1 is offline Barefoot Girl Sitting on the hood of a Dodge
    OT Beth Karas is a very pretty woman in additional to always being informative and intelligent. I love it when she covers a case.

I thought it was unusal for them to be there. I'm sure it was an emotional day for the jury as well. I know I would have been ready to go home.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth

JTF,
    You should write a book. You need to think about that. You've been there from beginning to end.

Quote Originally Posted by ynotdivein View Post
    Beth Karras on HLN just noting that it was apparently unusual to keep the jury seated during the reading of the verdict.
    I think it's a good thing that the jury was in there to hear Judge Stephens' statement. I think if any of them had any doubt at all, or regret that they were condemning this man to a life of imprisonment, the judge validated their decision and they should be able to go home this evening and know they did a good job. After all, this isn't this judge's first DV murder case. He's seen this over and over and over.

The judge knew!

Heartbreaking all around.

JMHO
    fran

PS>...I saw one news broadcast where I THINK it was LF who went back to a room to retrieve some type of clothes bag. I guess Cummins (?) wanted something of MY in the courtroom and it was MY's cheer leading outfit.

I wish I could recall exactly if it was LF or MF, but it was one of them. They hugged the folded bag towards their body as they walked away. Tears, all the way around. Even the pros. No one wins.

ETA: I found out after seeing written articles about the news broadcast I saw earlier about the family after the verdict was read as they were preparing to leave the courthouse, it wasn't MY's cheer leading outfit in the bag LF was carrying, but a suit of MY's that was in the color of her alma mater. (apparently ONE of the colors of her cheerleading outfit) Excuse me for the incorrect information. I'm a visual person rather than audio. Let me see it in writing and I'm set. Audio, LOL, not so much, fran............
    Last edited by fran; 03-07-2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: self explanatory.

knicksgal1 is offline Barefoot Girl Sitting on the hood of a Dodge
    Quote Originally Posted by karengo View Post
    I thought it was unusal for them to be there. I'm sure it was an emotional day for the jury as well. I know I would have been ready to go home.
    Without having heard a peep from them, I believe they wanted to see justice for Michelle and Rylan through to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksgal1 View Post
    OT Beth Karas is a very pretty woman in additional to always being informative and intelligent. I love it when she covers a case.
    She is terrific. I was thinking this afternoon she looks younger and prettier now than when she covered the S. Peter. case. I hope she is back for the RA case as well as Hayes or Haze case here in NC.
    Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
    ............Harper Lee

All of Judge Stephens' statement:

The courtís assessment of the evidence in the case is actually pretty simple. Itís a domestic violence homicide case. If you believe the state's evidence in this case, and apparently the jury did, the fingerprints of domestic violence are all over this case. They create a very unmistakable and all too predictable pattern of conduct. From the evidence, it would appear that they showed, the evidence appeared to the court, showed a relationship that escalated from disagreements to irreconcilable differences in which the defendant had pretty much declared that he was done with the marriage. They show a relationship that had moved from being unpleasant to volatile and that was the description of all their friends. It appeared to be a relationship in which some traumatic event was, not only predictable, but almost inevitable. And reviewing the evidence the other night, I was thinking about it and it appeared to me that if on Nov. 2 of 2006, Michelle Young had called the police and reported that her husband had beaten her, and the police had responded and found her with missing teeth, a broken nose and blackened eyes, no one that this couple knew, including their closest, closest friends, would have been surprised. They would not, in my opinion, have been a bit surprised. So why would anyone be surprised when Michelle Young was found beaten to death? The pattern is the same. The case is similar to every other case of domestic violence that has been played out in this courtroom in years past. The assailant that actually killed Michelle Young inflicted a beating on her. This woman wasnít just murdered; she suffered a beating the likes of which we seldom see. This woman was punished. The assailant struck her over 30 times with a weapon of some sort. She was undoubtedly unconscious after the second or third blow. But it would appear that the evidence suggests that the assailant continued to beat her until he was exhausted. Only then did he stop beating her because he didnít have the strength to strike her anymore. The way the court views the evidence. The evidence suggests that the assailant was overcome completely by anger and rage. And even then, apparently, he had the energy to strip her of her engagement and wedding rings perhaps because, in his mind, she was unworthy to wear them. Itís certainly noteworthy in the evidence, that the defendant had previously committed an act of violence on a former fiancť and had stripped her of her engagement ring, violently; when she had challenged him or somehow proven herself unworthy to wear them. So I would say, the evidence in this case suggests that Mr. Young has a significant mental health issue, he has significant anger management issues, and significant issues involving women. And all of this evidence is clear and consistent and unmistakable and a pattern of domestic violence. He had not only the motive and opportunity to commit this crime but the circumstances at the crime scene point directly to him. I have no quarrel with this jury verdict and therefore all the credible evidence supporting the jury verdict, the motion to set aside the jury verdict is denied.
    Last edited by ingra1327; 03-05-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: corrected the quote and added the end

Y E S !!!!
    Forever you big bully.
    Finally. Finally....
    what a dispicable man. (imo)
    Not only murdering his wife and unborn baby boy....to leave his precious little daughter there....little bloody footprints....
    I'd like just 10 minutes with him. (i need 10----i'm older & slower)

I hope prision is all you can hope it to be you (left blank on purpose).

...and i thought sp ticked me off.
    all
    (hope i wasn't out of line Tricia)

Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast