GUILTY TX - Five dialysis patients killed with bleach injections, Lufkin, 2008

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Nurse 'killed five dialysis patients by injecting their IV lines with bleach' (Daily Mail)
A nurse accused of injecting dialysis tubes with bleach, killing five patients and injuring five more, goes on trial [today].

Kimberly Saenz, 38, is charged with murder in the deaths and aggravated assault in the injuries at the DaVita Dialysis clinic in Lufkin, Texas.

Saenz, who was arrested after a boom in emergency calls prompted an investigation into the clinic, has pleaded not guilty and was released on bail. If convicted, prosecutors say they will seek the death penalty.
---
more background on the story at link above

Lufkin woman says she saw former nurse inject patient with bleach (Lufkin Daily News)
From the confines of her dialysis chair, a Lufkin woman claimed Monday that she watched former Davita Dialysis nurse Kimberly Saenz draw up bleach from a cleaning pail into syringes and then inject it into two patient lines.
---
She described for the 12-member jury how on the morning of April 28, 2008, she watched a “fidgety” Saenz looking around to see who might be watching as she injected the bleach into two patients — Marva Rhone and Carolyn Risinger.

She said Saenz’s actions first caught her attention because she put a bleach pail, normally kept on a counter top, on the floor.
---
much more of today's testimony at link above

Certainly not your 'Nancy Nurse"!

Technician says injecting patient with bleach would attract attention
A former DaVita Dialysis patient care technician testified Tuesday that she watched her patients closely and that if Kimberly Saenz had injected one of them with bleach, it wouldn’t have gone unnoticed.

Angie Rodriguez was the first witness to take the stand Tuesday on the second day of Saenz’s capital murder trial. If convicted, Saenz faces life in prison or death by lethal injection on a charge of capital murder in connection with the 2008 deaths of five DaVita patients.

Rodriguez testified she was partnered with Saenz in caring for patients on April 28, 2008, the same day two of those patients claim to have seen the now 38-year-old Saenz inject bleach into two patient lines.
---
Saenz’s defense attorney, Ryan Deaton, questioned the prosecution’s theory that the woman’s episode was brought on by bleach, as it lasted only six minutes.
---
more at link above; the Lufkin Daily News is publishing lengthy trial coverage daily

I spent 6 weeks last fall in the hospital with my sister who nearly died from unexpected complications from a surgery. She has been a nurse and hospital administrator herself over a lifetime career. She was NOT in her home hospital (or anywhere close).

There was a housekeeper who was rude, obnoxious, and incompetent in the extreme, some kind of personality disorder, I think. One day she poured a bucket of nasty mop water on the floor in my sisters bathroom and left it (on purpose), causing my sister's gown and footies to get soaking wet whenever she went to the bathroom

When I headed to the nurses station to ask them to send someone to clean it up, my sister stopped me. I was shocked and mentioned the risk of infection from the nastiness. My sister, with a genuine look of fear in her eyes, said that the woman obviously had a personality disorder and was in a position to kill her unnoticed if she so chose. My sister knows. I believed her. I cleaned it up myself.

She also said to NEVER leave a patient unattended in the hospital. After that, I believed her; it's why I stayed so long. Altogether, we logged pages and pages of errors and misjudgments, from doing the wrong tests to losing her in transport to giving her the wrong dietary trays (GRAVY first meal after gallbladder removal, wtf!?). :(

Bleach in an IV. OMG. That must have been so painful. What a horrendous crime.

Coworker testifies in day eight of capital murder trial

Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:15 am

By JESSICA COOLEY and ANDY ADAMS/The Lufkin News

A former coworker of nurse Kimberly Saenz testified in her capital murder trial Wednesday that she acted strangely after a patient’s heart stopped beating on April 1, 2008.

Patient care technician Cory Smith said he got the crash cart for the cardiac arrests of two patients, including Clara Strange and Thelma Metcalf. They are two of the five people Saenz stands accused of killing by injecting them with bleach.

http://lufkindailynews.com/news/local/article_4f03fdb8-6e4b-11e1-a5c4-001871e3ce6c.html

I sure hope this nurse, if guilty, does not have a history working in home healthcare on the side. :eek:

Such a bizarre case. I assume she'd just have to be crazy? I mean there is not commonality between the victims, she was smart enough to have a job, she had kids, etc. Seemed pretty normal - but must have been a sociopath? I don't get it, but glad she was caught and found guilty.

Such a bizarre case. I assume she'd just have to be crazy? I mean there is not commonality between the victims, she was smart enough to have a job, she had kids, etc. Seemed pretty normal - but must have been a sociopath? I don't get it, but glad she was caught and found guilty.

Is it possible, though, that the commonality was that each patient caused a pathological resentment in this woman's homicidal personality?

The housekeeper in my sister's hospital room that could have cost my sister her life seemed to be pathologically resentful as a way of life. She constantly heaved and sighed, didn't look anyone in the eyes, rolled her eyes when she thought no one could see her, and only gave us hateful looks when we tried to be nice to her. We chose to think that she may have some extreme hardship or trauma in her life that left her severely emotionally impaired and maybe there was something about us personally that tripped her trigger. We will never know. But I know I believed my sis when she said this woman had the power to kill her easily. It was VERY scary.

Maybe the nurse that was just convicted in this case felt slighted by the least little insignificant thing. Maybe she felt these other women were undeservedly fortunate, or better looking, or treated her like a servant (in her mind). When a person has a resentful personality, it really doesn't take much. :(

This whole story along with OneLove's story is exactly why I would never leave a loved one alone in the hospital. At the very least, they are at the mercy of the overworked hospital staff and overcharged for everything(like a pregnancy test for me even though I have had a complete hysterectomy) and in the worst case they could be in danger from a medical error or something like this evil nurse.

I had a nurse deny me pain medication on hours after major surgery (they cut a huge kidney stone out of me, the size of a baby's hand). Unfortunately they didnt give me enought pain med during surgery and I was actially aware of the pain for about 10 minutes before the anesthesiologist noticed my shyrocketing pulse and blood pressure.

When I was in recovery a few hours after surgery, the doctor had neglected to order the additional pain meds and she told me " I am not going to wake him up for you. You need to go to sleep and you won't be in pain". That was unlikely since I had a hige surgical site thru my back and kidney with a large tube still in it, draining.

I was in agony about 6 more hours till the next nurse came on her shift and practically ran to get me bolus doses of pain meds because my pulse was 130 and my kidneys had blocked up and seeped out of the surgical site in my back and I was laying in a bed drenched with urine.

Needless to say I am terrified of hospitals and surgery. I refuse to allow anyone I love to be alone in a hospital. Oh wow, this gives me flashback. The story i told above was only the BEGINNING of a horrible year or so of multiple surgeries and medical incompetence from which I have still not recovered fully, to this day.

This whole story along with OneLove's story is exactly why I would never leave a loved one alone in the hospital. At the very least, they are at the mercy of the overworked hospital staff and overcharged for everything(like a pregnancy test for me even though I have had a complete hysterectomy) and in the worst case they could be in danger from a medical error or something like this evil nurse.

I had a nurse deny me pain medication on hours after major surgery (they cut a huge kidney stone out of me, the size of a baby's hand). Unfortunately they didnt give me enought pain med during surgery and I was actially aware of the pain for about 10 minutes before the anesthesiologist noticed my shyrocketing pulse and blood pressure.

When I was in recovery a few hours after surgery, the doctor had neglected to order the additional pain meds and she told me " I am not going to wake him up for you. You need to go to sleep and you won't be in pain". That was unlikely since I had a hige surgical site thru my back and kidney with a large tube still in it, draining.

I was in agony about 6 more hours till the next nurse came on her shift and practically ran to get me bolus doses of pain meds because my pulse was 130 and my kidneys had blocked up and seeped out of the surgical site in my back and I was laying in a bed drenched with urine.

Needless to say I am terrified of hospitals and surgery. I refuse to allow anyone I love to be alone in a hospital. Oh wow, this gives me flashback. The story i told above was only the BEGINNING of a horrible year or so of multiple surgeries and medical incompetence from which I have still not recovered fully, to this day.

Oh my, I am SO sorry, SwampMama. What a horrible nightmare. I am SOOO glad you survived to tell the story. You could have gone into cardiac arrest from the pain before the first night was over. What is with the incompetence and total lack of empathy in people choosing to spend a career caring for others?

I, also, would NEVER leave a loved one unattended in the hospital. My sister nearly died several times from gross incompetence. One day when she was clearly dying and the administrator came and told us there was no more they could do for her, we called for transport to another hospital an hour away rather than do nothing and watch her die. This hospital literally came and removed my sisters iv and pain meds and left her like that until transport arrived that evening to take her. I requested a private meeting with the administrator and I am afraid I actually made prosecutable threats about what what happen to her if my sister died before she was removed from their hospital. Shades of John Q, lol. Then following the ambulance in evening rush hour traffic, I hyperventilated and passed out. Terrible times.

Good ending though. My sister was radically better in less than 24 hours at the new hospital. It took another month for her to be released, but she got well. I'm so glad we moved her. She nearly died in transport before she made it too.

Take care of you. :) I'm glad you're still here. Stay awhile, okay? Lol

I'm glad she will never be near a hospital or patient again. It's quiet scary anymore, and after this and OneLove's story about her sister, I'm loosing my faith in health care providers...and I so don't want to. Breaks my heart....no one can be "safe" anywhere anymore. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back