VA VA - Kathryn Bene Griffin, 43, Portsmouth, 7 Jan 2012

CatFancier

Former Member
Reaction score
Portsmouth police seek missing woman

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/portsmouth-police-seek-missing-woman

Kathryn_GriffinJPG_20120124125034_320_240.JPG

http://portsmouthpd.org/?p=4487

January 24, 2012 Contact Information:Jan Westerbeck
(757) 393-8536, ext. 7226

westerbeckj@portsmouthva.gov
Portsmouth Police Special Victims Unit Detectives are asking the assistance of the public to locate 43 year-old Kathryn Bene Griffin. On January 7, 2012, shortly before noon, Ms. Griffin was seen by a family member at her place of employment, Perry’s Cutz, located in the 3500 block of Victory Boulevard.
At an unknown time, on the 7th of January, 2012, and after a visit with a family member, Ms. Griffin left the business on a brown bicycle. She was wearing blue jeans, a plaid jacket, and a black smock. It is unknown where she was going and it is unusual for her to not contact family.
Ms Griffin is described as 5’4” tall, approximately 150 lbs., with short dark hair. She has both ears pierced and a large scar on her stomach.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Ms. Griffin is asked to call the CRIME LINE at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP. You may also text Portsmouth plus your tip to 274637 (CRIMES) or go to portsmouthpd.us, click on the CRIMELINE link and enter your tip. Your information is anonymous and we do no ask your name. If your information leads to an arrest, you could be eligible for a cash reward up to $1000.

Keep the prayers that Kathryn will be located safely. Thank you.
KathrynBeneGriffin43-MISSING-PortsmouthVA-07JAN2012_001.jpg

http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news...ree-years-after-mother-went-missing/21424641/

He, his sister, and his grandmother stopped to see her at Perry's Cutz on January 7, 2012. Griffin worked at the barber shop, located on Victory Boulevard...

Archie acknowledged Griffin had some issues with drugs, but added she was extremely active in her children's lives.

Detectives worked every lead that they had, but there was and is no trace of Griffin and no idea what happened to her. Someone at the barber shop told them that she left the business on a bike, days after her children and mother saw her.

Beautiful woman....thanks, posters, for bringing her case back to the forefront. I know her children must miss her horribly.

Kathryn Bene’ Griffin – The Charley Project

kathryn_bene_griffin_1.jpg
kathryn_bene_griffin_2.jpg
kathryn_bene_griffin_3.jpg
kathryn_bene_griffin_4.jpg
kathryn_bene_griffin_5.jpg

Kathryn Bene’ Griffin

Missing Since 01/07/2012
Missing From Portsmouth, Virginia
Classification Endangered Missing
Sex Female
Race Black
Date of Birth 03/09/1968 (51)
Age 43 years old
Height and Weight 5'5, 150 pounds
Clothing/Jewelry Description A plaid jacket, a black smock and blue jeans.
Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, black eyes. Some agencies spell Griffin's name "Katheryn." She goes by her middle name, Bene'. Griffin's ears are pierced. She has a large scar on her abdomen.

Details of Disappearance
Griffin was last seen in Portsmouth, Virginia on January 7, 2012. She visited her former boyfriend at his barbershop, Perry's Cutz in the 3500 block of Victory Boulevard; she liked to style hair and often helped him there. Her boyfriend stated she borrowed his brown bicycle and rode away on it shortly before 12:00 p.m. She has never been heard from again.

Griffin's life prior to her disappearance was troubled; her infant son had died in the early 1990s, and she later was incarcerated for a drug charge and probation violations. Her mother was taking care of her other two children at the time of her disappearance; she said they kept in close touch and talked almost every day.

Her case remains unsolved and the circumstances of her disappearance are unclear.

Bumping for Bene, missing 8 years ago today...

Kathryn Griffin, 43: Rode Away On Bike & Never Was Seen Again

In 2012, she was last seen leaving a barbershop before vanishing.

July 30, 2021

William Perry was just eight years old when his mother disappeared. He was with his sister, Wilmesha, and his grandmother, Linda Archie, when they stopped by Perry’s Cutz in Portsmouth, Virginia where his mother, Kathryn Griffin, often worked to help her former boyfriend. It was a barbershop where Kathryn was last seen on January 7, 2012, by the boyfriend after she asked to borrow his bicycle. Kathryn rode away from the shop around 12:00 p.m. and has never been seen or heard from since.

“Last thing she said to me was that she loved me, and she loved my sister, too,” William told reports back in 2016 when he was 11. At the time, Kathryn’s eldest son was enrolled at the University of Arizona. “I miss my mom, and she missed out on a lot of my birthdays, and a lot of events that happened with me in school, and things like that.”

Kathryn’s loved ones don’t believe that she simply walked away from her life and left her children behind. Linda and her daughter were said to be close and spoke to one another on the phone every single day. Over the years, Linda has continued to hold out hope, but whenever there were news reports about remains being located, she feared that he daughter would be identified.

“Sometimes I said, ‘Well, Lord, maybe she is gone.’ Maybe somebody did something to her,” said Linda. “Over time, you just believe they’re gone until something else comes up.”

According to reports, Kathryn Griffin faced several struggles throughout her life. In the 1990s, her infant son passed away, and later, she served jail time for violating her probation and drug charges. Kathryn’s children were in the care of her mother when she disappeared so it was common for Kathryn to reach out daily to speak with her kids. Linda admitted that Kathryn had issues with drugs, but insisted that her daughter loved and cared for her family.

Investigators have reportedly searched nearby wooded areas as well as waterways, but nothing has materialized in helping them locate the 43-year-old missing woman. There were reports that Kathryn may have been seen days after January 7 at the barbershop once again riding away on a bicycle. Leads have been exhausted and investigators claim they don’t have any information that could help bring resolution to this case at this time.

“I don’t believe she is somewhere and not contacting us,” Linda said. “I don’t believe my child would put us through that.” Young Williams had made plans for when he would speak to his mother next. “I’d tell my mom that I do good in school. My behavior’s good, and I play the viola,” the then-11-year-old said in 2016. “If she comes back one day, I would like to play for her.”

At the time of her disappearance, Kathryn Griffin stood 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighed 150 pounds. She had black/dark brown hair and brown eyes. Kathryn reportedly has a large scar on her abdomen. She was last seen wearing a plaid jacket, black smock, and blue jeans. Her middle name is “Bene” and Kathryn would often be called that by loved ones. She would be 53-years-old at the time of this publication.

Anyone with information about this case is urged to contact the Portsmouth Police Department at (757) 393-5300, the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (562-5887), or your local authorities. There isn’t a case number listed.

Kathryn Griffin, 43: Rode Away On Bike & Never Was Seen Again

Kathryn-Griffin3.jpg
Kathryn-Griffin1.jpg
Kathryn Griffin (Portsmouth police)
Kathryn-Griffin2.jpg

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — Police say they have not stopped searching for a Portsmouth woman who has been missing for 11 years.

54-year-old Kathy Griffin was first reported missing back on January 16, 2012. She was last seen near the 3500 block of Victory Boulevard. Police say she was possibly riding a bicycle.

Those with information on her whereabouts are urged to contact the PPD Investigations Bureau at 757–393–8536.
1677686691590.jpeg

Last edited:
March 5, 2023

March 7, 2023

July 30, 2021

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads