Identified! NJ - Newark, BlkFem UP10254, 50-70, in suitcase, Mar'12 - Name not found

Wanting2Help

Reaction score
Snipped from article...

Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn A. Murray and Newark Police Director Samuel DeMaio announced today that detectives from the Newark Police Department and the Essex County Prosecutor’s Homicide/Major Crimes Task Force are attempting to identify the remains of the person who washed ashore on the south bank of the Passaic River adjacent to the exit ramp for the Jackson Street Bridge in the Ironbound.

The body appears to be that of a black female, which was found clothed in a large suitcase, the ECPO said. The female is described as being slight of build and was wearing gray slacks and a red blouse. An autopsy is being conducted to determine the cause of death.

Authorities were unsure how long the body had been in the water.

http://bloomfield.patch.com/articles/human-remains-found-in-suitcase-in-newark

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/police_release_sketch_of_woman.html

Published: Monday, March 26, 2012, 7:20 PM
Updated: Monday, March 26, 2012, 9:22 PM
By Tomas Dinges/The Star-Ledger

NEWARK — Authorities have released a composite sketch of a woman found in a suitcase along the Passaic River earlier this month.

sketchjpg-665730bc958dd654.jpg

That's a really good match. She's got the slightest build of all the one's mentioned above.

I'm questioning the time frame though. Denese was last seen alive on 9/25/10. If they are able to attempt to fingerprint Jane Doe it can't be Denese...

One of the articles said they were not able to identify the doe by finger prints. If it is her, I'd be curious to find out her timeline after she went missing.

I assumed they meant they couldn't find a match for prints but maybe they weren't able to get prints from Jane Doe because of the body condition? It seems like a body would deteriorate fast in water but maybe the suitcase kept her body dry?

Denese's Namus page said that fingerprint information is not available for her. Maybe by being reported missing two years ago she's completely off their radar. I think she's a good match.

I received a reply from the detective...

Hi, we have no further developments regarding Ms. Laird. I have no problems with you submitting any DNA pertaining to this case. Thank you for your concern .

Uhmm... I'm confused? I explained exactly who I was. How am I supposed to submit DNA pertaining to this case? He's the detective, can't he contact the ME? UGHH!

It took 3 calls to the ME's office just to be able to leave a voicemail. They would not give me an email address to send the potential match to. Hopefuly the ME will get the message and call me back... I will let you know...

I never received a return call from the M.E.'s office.... She does not have a NamUs profile that I can find. I wonder if she was identified???

for what it is worth the UID looks African to me as in West African, like from Ghana.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back