1156 users online (204 members and 952 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CA - Jeanette Ogara, 33, killed by homemade cannon blast, Potrero, 6 March 2012

Woman Dies After Homemade Cannon Fires (ABC/AP)
    POTRERO, Calif. March 6, 2012 (AP)
    A woman died Tuesday after a homemade cannon blew a projectile into a mobile home in a remote San Diego County community.

Two men, including the woman's husband, were tinkering with the cannon outside the home when it went off and sent a projectile into the home, said Capt. Mike Mohler of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

It was not immediately clear whether the projectile or the cannon blast killed the 33-year-old woman, he said.
    ---
    more at the link above
    Last edited by wfgodot; 03-06-2012 at 04:23 PM.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...-ball-potrero/

According to our local, the boyfriend (or husband) ignited it. Good Lord, the thing is aimed at the home full of people? Its a wonder more people didn't die. I wonder if he did it on purpose. The child is with a neighbor -- I hope the little 4 year old doesn't go back to him. Photo at link too.

The man, who is either the husband or boyfriend of the victim, told investigators he had ignited the makeshift artillery and it went off. He was also injured in the explosion, Martinez said.

From AP link above:
    Mohler said he could not confirm reports that the men had been drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    From AP link above: Mohler said he could not confirm reports that the men had been drinking.
    I'm betting they might have.

"He liked experimenting with guns, and it looks like this experiment went bad," he told the newspaper.
    You can say that again!
    Staffies They're Softer Than You Think

"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." Benny Fallout: New Vegas

"What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

Looks like this guy has a history of domestic violence - and more...

Richard Fox Charged With Murder For Alleged Homemade Cannon Accident

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1335292.html

Fox was placed on probation and ordered to complete a 52-week domestic violence recovery program. The probation expired in January.
    He also served at least three prison sentences in the 1990s for auto theft and weapons possession convictions.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

From September 2014:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...d-fox-potrero/

A man who set off a homemade explosive device in rural East County, sending shrapnel into the side of a trailer and accidentally killing his fiancee, was sentenced Monday to 10 years in prison...

Although he originally faced a murder charge, Fox pleaded guilty in July to exploding a destructive device — which some have referred to as a cannon — and possession of materials to make a destructive device.